HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 9:48 PM
BROOKLYN

That's going to be a great cavern someday.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know what is planned for the site just north of and adjacent to the tallest Eastern Yard's tower? I believe it is one of the '4 corner' towers.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:01 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:03 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Na View Post
It would have been nice to have a distinctive supertall buuilt there that would break through the skyline, Oh well.
Well that's because this is A. not the whole Westside development, only a small part of it, and B. these are not the final designs of the buildings.

That doesn't mean there will be a 2000 foot tower, but I'm sure something in the 1400 range could pop up years down the road.

Once the WTC, Penn plaza and all the other supertalls get built it will spur the development of more supertalls.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Well that's because this is A. not the whole Westside development, only a small part of it, and B. these are not the final designs of the buildings.

That doesn't mean there will be a 2000 foot tower, but I'm sure something in the 1400 range could pop up years down the road.

Once the WTC, Penn plaza and all the other supertalls get built it will spur the development of more supertalls.
Yes. And we should ask them to make that happen because we want great things to happen but can't do anything about it ourselves, of course.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 1:51 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110411/manh...dquarters-move

Time Warner Considers Headquarters Move
Time Warner is considering a move to Related Cos. new development at the Hudson Yards

by Leila Molana-Allen
April 11, 2011

Quote:
Time Warner Inc. is in preliminary talks about potentially moving its headquarters to the $15 billion Hudson Yards development, the Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

The cable giant is in talks with real estate developer Related Companies to move out of the Time Warner Center to the far West Side. Related is behind both developments.

A source close to the discussions said that Time Warner was unlikley to come to a decision in the near future, according to The Journal.

Related has said that the first phase of the Hudson Yards development could be ready by 2017. Time Warner's current leases with Related for space in several Manhattan buildings, including its Columbus Circle address, are due to expire in 2017 and 2018, WSJ reported.

The Hudson Yards is a 13-acre space on Eleventh and Twelfth Avenues from 30th to 33rd Streets. The site, owned by the MTA, is currently a storage yard. The new development is planned to be built on a second level over the storage yard so it can continure to be used. It will include office, retail and residential space.

Related have been pushing to find tenants for their new development, since Related CEO Steve Ross agreed with the MTA to a $1 billion long-term lease to develop the site. The first part of the development will be built between 30th and 33rd streets on 10th Avenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Does anyone know what is planned for the site just north of and adjacent to the tallest Eastern Yard's tower? I believe it is one of the '4 corner' towers.
It is, and there is no current "proposal". Like the rest of Hudson Yards, it is "pre" zoned. Currently its the site of a McDonald's.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 2:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post

Time Warner Eyes Headquarters Move .

By ELIOT BROWN And LAUREN A.E. SCHUKER
April 11, 2011

Quote:
While it has large offices in other cities, New York-based Time Warner has more than 8,500 employees working in the city in almost five million square feet of office space. This includes the one-million-square-foot office condominium the company owns in Time Warner Center.

Time Warner and Related have discussed moving the Time Warner Center space, as well as the possible consolidation of other offices, the people familiar with discussions said.

Time Inc. and HBO, both divisions of Time Warner, lease more than two million square feet of space in Manhattan that expires in 2017 and 2018, according to research firm CoStar Group Inc. It is unclear if those divisions would be part of a move to Hudson Yards. But the timing of the lease expirations would allow for it. Related has said it could deliver the first phase of the development by 2017.

...Related plans to build its initial towers along Tenth Avenue, between 30th and 33rd Streets. While Mr. Ross has yet to secure a tenant, he has been bullish in public statements. "I think we'll sign about three and a half million square feet of space this year," he said earlier this year.

Related is also in negotiations with leather-goods maker Coach to take upwards of 600,000 square feet of space on the site, people familiar with the matter said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 2:51 PM

All good news, and encouraging, not only for this but all the other proposed office buildings. If TWC, and its subsidiaries did agree to move they would essentially occupy the entire Eastern Yards, right?

With the talk sort of starting to heat up around here, and the tower on 55th or so and 8th seemingly filled up, I can't help but get the feeling that the dominoes may start to fall pretty soon. In the sense that, there are seemingly a lot of huge companies that are looking for space, and a limited number of options. There are still a number of options, but one or two agreements here and there, and then I'm hoping at least, we could see a domino effect.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
All good news, and encouraging, not only for this but all the other proposed office buildings. If TWC, and its subsidiaries did agree to move they would essentially occupy the entire Eastern Yards, right?
Not the entire eastern yards, but the commercial component. The third office tower, also involved in talks, would be the only commercial tower on the western yards.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Who owns the last of the '4 corner' (directly north of main yards tower) tower sites and what is planned for there?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Who owns the last of the '4 corner' (directly north of main yards tower) tower sites and what is planned for there?
It will be an office tower. Find out more about what's going on with the Hudson Yards redevelopment here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123575

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
BANNED

I see. According to the original renders, another tall tower will go there. The height looks around similar to the other towers around it. I would have preferred for one tower to be a signature tower in height and design. It appears most towers will be around the same height and there won't be one stand out tower.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I see. According to the original renders, another tall tower will go there. The height looks around similar to the other towers around it. I would have preferred for one tower to be a signature tower in height and design. It appears most towers will be around the same height and there won't be one stand out tower.
If I understand what lot you are referring to, it will be 1000+ ft. So yes there will be a 1000 foot plateau just north, not the worst thing in the world. And there plenty of other lots around there where a developer could build something really beautiful.

The plateau concern has come up a couple times, and I think people are making something out of nothing. 15 Penn, the main MW tower, and the main office building here which is EC 2, are all around 1200 ft. Then the Girasole, Sherwood Equities tower will be 1000, then the smaller MW office building is in the 900 ft range, then the other office building here at the Hudson Yards or EC 1 will be around 800-900 ft, then all the smaller Hudson Yards buildings on the Western half, and MW is eventually going to have some residential buildings in addition that should be relatively tall.

That doesn't include loads of other sights like a couple of 9th avenue locations, 366 10th Ave, and the entire surrounding area is low rise. There will be plenty of buildings that cater to each persons personal preferences.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
BANNED

There isn't a signature tower though, that is my problem with the plan. Something similar to that original jewel like design glass tower. None of the towers proposed will really stand out as an anchor for the area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
There isn't a signature tower though, that is my problem with the plan. Something similar to that original jewel like design glass tower. None of the towers proposed will really stand out as an anchor for the area.
I don't know what you are talking about. If you're talking about the general Hudson Yards plan, the thread for that is posted above. As for what's in it, there have only been a few proposals seen, like the Girasole (3 Hudson), Extell's canceled WPC, even Manhattan West. That rezoning is what allows for the towers to be built, it's not a proposal in itself. This thread is specifically about the railyards development.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Time Warner Considers Headquarters Move

Time Warner is considering a move to Related Cos. new development at the Hudson Yards
Well that would certainly suck for Time Warner's employees (except for the most senior execs and some of the on-air talent who take a towncar to work anyway). I mean, the whole area from 28th to 42nd is a really terrible swath of the city.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 6:32 PM

I thought Time Warner and CNN were in Atlanta... Anyways, this is great news if it happens.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well that would certainly suck for Time Warner's employees (except for the most senior execs and some of the on-air talent who take a towncar to work anyway). I mean, the whole area from 28th to 42nd is a really terrible swath of the city.
Short term thinking.
Eventually, this new area will a fantastic place with green space, shopping centers, plazas, high line, river views, green boulevards, high end residents and i'm sure retail/restaurants. It is also closer to Penn Station, and will have a quick ride to Times Square and Grand Central. Someone needs to be the first, they will reap the benefits down the road. Also, it is going to be less congested than midtown.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 3:04 AM

I just want to respond to those who think size of buildings matters, THE PROJECT AS A WHOLE IS ALMOST BIGGER THAN PHILADELPHIA!! well at least has more taller buildings than philly thats what i meant.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You might want to read this thread...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123575

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive