HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:02 AM

Another Burger King closing

London has had several Burger King restaurants close in the past 3-4 years, including Wharncliffe at Baseline, Fanshawe Park at Richmond, Wellington at the 401 and both downtown locations. As of this coming Saturday the one at Wonderland and Oxford will be no more, although a new BK will be opening in the big box black hole on Wonderland south of Southdale. That's too far away for me.

The sign in the window at Wonderland and Oxford says the nearest BK is at Oxford and Highbury. That really shows how few BKs are left in London.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jun 10, 2008 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Burger Thing has long struggled in Canada. When I lived in Montreal, there must have been at least a dozen Burthing closures.

What is sadder is the increasing rarity of Harvey's.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 3:29 PM
Making you spend more.

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.. Hurray.

Anyways, south end construction has started on a few buildings at the corner of Wonderland and Southdale, some (but not all) new businesses include:

- Arbys (Beside the royal bank)
- Burger King (new building beside the starbucks/source miniplex)
- Marble Slab (new building beside the starbucks/source miniplex)
- A pizza place (can't remember the name)
- Rogers Wireless store (not sure if it will replace Rogers Video at viscount/wonderland)

Also, new store at galleria mall foodcourt will be opening "soon" (keep in mind it took the Galleria Food court an extra two months to open):
- Arby's

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:27 PM

I really wonder how many more food places the Wonderland/Southdale area can support. I don't think even the power center near Hyde Park has so many restaurants. Let's try and tally what the two areas have...

Wonderland/Southdale:

- Wendys
- Starbucks
- Williams Coffee Pub
- McDonalds
- Boston Pizza
- Quizno's
- KFC/Taco Bell
- Tim Hortons
- Pizza Pizza
- Loblaws (Meals to Go)
- Angelo's
- Burger King (coming soon)
- Arby's (coming soon)
- Marble Slab (coming soon)
- another pizza place (coming soon)
- Harvey's inside Home Depot?

Hyde Park:

- McDonalds at Wal-Mart
- Baskin Robbins
- Quizno's
- Montana's Cookhouse
- Sam's Club (has a pizza stand inside, if I recall)
- Ozone

Am I missing any?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Burger Thing has long struggled in Canada. When I lived in Montreal, there must have been at least a dozen Burthing closures.

What is sadder is the increasing rarity of Harvey's.
I've noticed that as well with Harvey's - in fact I think the one across from Police HQ is gone now. There also used to be a Harvey's on Oxford west of Wonderland, where the Cadillac-Hummer dealership is now. Keen observers will notice that although the dealership was renovated extensively and doesn't look like a fast-food outlet on the outside anymore, the old drive-thru window is still there.

Chain restaurants traditionally have not done well in that area - there used to be a Pizza Hut and Ponderosa out there too, and of course the impending BK closure is at the same intersection. New Orleans Pizza, a staple of advertising on CKCO TV for many years, used to have a location around there as well. The local chain Cheap Charlie's was in the same plaza as Harvey's, but that whole chain went under. There is a lot of competition there and there is just not enough room for everyone, which is why I worry about the Wonderland/Southdale area.

If that were the case though, the KFC on Wonderland should've closed by now. I have never been to a KFC that ran out of chicken, except at that one.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:56 AM

^ If they're actually running out of chicken, they must not be doing too bad (though they may want to look at their inventory processes).

The BK closures might not actually be related to demand though. I heard that about 1-2 years ago the franchising arrangements for all Canadian BK's was drastically altered. I can't recall the numbers exactly, but each owner had to renew a merch. license (or something) to the tune $1M per location. I guess the owner of several London locations decided to retire or move on instead.

I do miss the BK(s) and the Arby's downtown. They were good places to grab a quick, cheap lunch. Anyone know who else is moving into the galleria food-court? It's open now by the way. As is Suzy Sheir.

ps-all that bk insider stuff was hear-say from a guy a who knows a guy...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:33 PM

Hey everyone,

My name is Blair, and this is my first post in this thread. First off, I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. I'm a Londoner, but I've been out of town for several years. Right now I'm at McGill doing an urban design study of downtown London (developing a precinct plan for the area surrounding the Covent Garden Market). I just wanted to say that the information posted in this forum has been extremely helpful to me! What a great way to do my research! Thank you so much.

Secondly, I wanted to contribute by saying that the Covent Garden Market was recently listed in Via Rail's top 10 market shopping destinations! Score another point for London!
"Make no small plans, for they have no magic to stir man's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical plan once recorded will never die." - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Welcome (back) to (the) London (thread)!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:33 PM
London Aficionado

I think I can speak for a few of us on here that we would LOVE to see your study upon it's completion.

You could perhaps Private Message me, and I can supply you with my personal email address.

Anything I can do to help, let me know. I am in the Design/Planning field here in London.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 7:21 PM
Making you spend more.

Taco Del Mar is going to be opening in the Galleria Soon, filling the last of the available eatery locations in the new food court.

There's a large raised area that is still blocked off, I'm not sure if it'll be new retail space, seating, or more stores.

Both Arby's and Taco Del Mar are due open later in the summer.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:50 PM

Great...Kitchener is getting light rail and we're getting Taco Del Mar. This forum lately seems to be a sad reflection of our city. Any one else tired of endless debates on drive thrus and water bottles?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:17 AM
Londoner

So true!!!

btw here's some news!!!!

Thu, June 26, 2008

NDEBONO -- It's not often a property manager gets a thank-you letter from a tenant.

But the Dominion Loft Apartments on Dundas Street, above storefronts in the 200 block, are no ordinary apartments, says property manager Kristina Lansbergen.

It's been one year since they came on the market, marking a new trend for rental units in London's core, an elegant space above a storefront.

"We have been very happy, very satisfied with these units," says Lansbergen. "Before one of our tenants moved out he gave us a letter of recommendation. He just said he appreciated renting from us, that the style of the apartment was exceptional."

The six units target a young professional clientele who want to live in the core within walking distance to work, or students who will bus to the University of Western Ontario, she adds.

The newly renovated spaces have hardwood floors, private patios, stainless steel appliances, a coin-operated laundry on site and secure entry, says Lansbergen.

The spaces have leased out quickly and owner Tom Bird is now looking for other spaces in the downtown to renovate into high-end units.

"I enjoy doing this type of work, restoring old buildings. It was fun and I want to do more," says Bird. "I'm keeping my eyes open."

After buying the space above the Jonathon Bancroft- Snell store and what is now a Coffee Culture in 2004, it was renovated and reopened last year as apartments.

"You cannot get these type of loft storefront apartments anywhere. It it is truly unique, downtown living," says Janette MacDonald of MainStreet London. "They are fantastic. Young professionals want a unique place to live, someplace different."

It's estimated there are 35,000 people working in the downtown and only about 5,300 living in the core.

The units rent from $725 for a bachelor apartment to $1,059 for a one-bedroom, plus utilities.

"We have been happy providing such high-class apartments downtown. There are individuals out there looking for this in the core," says Lansbergen.

"For a lot of people the location is ideal, they can walk to work. It is convenient."

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:21 AM
Londoner

Downtown greeters hit the beat

They're the downtown version of Wal-Mart greeters. LOL

Friendly, accessible and filled with information about what to do in London's core.

This summer will see the city unveil its SuperGuides, four young women dressed in T-shirts, with "Ask me about downtown" emblazoned on the front.

They'll walk the core and offer help to anyone who needs questions answered about what do in the city centre, says Janette MacDonald of MainStreet London.

"It's essentially a customer service program for the downtown," said MacDonald.

They'll be armed with directories, maps and information as well as business cards with a web address on it where people can access information about the downtown.

They'll also have cellphones to call MainStreet if they're asked any question they don't know the answer to.

"It's to create a comfort level in the downtown," says MacDonald.

"People may not come downtown if they don't know where to go or what there is to do. We have a lot of tourists in the downtown and people need to know where the market is or the JLC, where they validate parking."

John Winston, general manager of Tourism London, cheered the news saying it offers a friendly face for visitors to the city.

"I think it's a very good idea, it's really innovative. It means we'll have people on the street who are well versed in the amenities of the core."

The guides will also take to the double decker tourism buses driving the streets of the city, Winston adds.

"It enhances what we're already doing. It makes sense."

The guides will be walking in twos and will also be at festivals and events in their uniforms of green shirts, black pants and a ball cap, says MacDonald.

The SuperGuides will start Monday and work until Labour Day.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:26 AM
Londoner

Thu, June 26, 2008

The project costs $1.2 million

The ghosts of the Middlesex County building -- who have been silent around the old place lately -- might well approve.

A $1.2-million refurbishment of the historic building in London's core is well under way.

Gone are the 30-year-old orange carpets that splashed the council chambers, and the creaky fabric chairs, mismatched desks and assorted obscure wall plaques denoting long-forgotten minor events.

In their place: a fresh paint job, more muted carpet, new oak desks, a new sound system and wireless computer technology.

"This is just the icing," said Middlesex chief administrative officer Bill Rayburn, "but the real 'cake' is the structural work."

The biggest part of the work includes the heating and cooling systems, roof repairs, phone system and wheelchair-accessible washrooms to bring the offices up to building code.

The refurbishment is the biggest there since the former courthouse re-opened as the new Middlesex County offices 27 years ago today.

Years earlier, as its use as a courthouse and jail ended, some wanted to raze the relic.

More recently, many repairs had been deferred as county council pondered a possible move elsewhere.

"We were kind of awaiting a council decision on whether we were going or staying -- and now that we know we're staying, we had quite a lot we needed to do," Rayburn said.

The changes retain, restore or work around heritage features, while making it more livable for its occupants.

The wood-timbered beams still soar above the oak paneling of the council chambers. A retractable video screen for presentations will be hidden behind one of them. The original courthouse crest has been rehung over the new paint job. Some wood railings have been stripped and refinished.

"I wanted it to look new, yet like it was always there," Rayburn said of the new furniture.

Cabinet maker Paul Janssen of Mt. Brydges was hired to build oak councillors' desks to replace the battered, 1970s-era desks that had suited the old council chambers about as much as a hat on a horse.

"It did look out of place," Janssen said.

Janssen said he worked a lot of late nights there. But despite regularly traversing the building's maze of tiny passages and secret staircases, he never did see or hear any of the ghosts rumoured to haunt these halls.

Rayburn said the more modern furniture is being recycled to other offices in the county and a loaned collection of some historic pieces will find a home in a museum.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoto View Post
This summer will see the city unveil its SuperGuides, four young women dressed in T-shirts, with "Ask me about downtown" emblazoned on the front.
If the city is smart, that should read "four hot young women dressed in T-shirts"

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:26 PM

"Smart" is something we are not. We will probably have four 300 lb. mamas wearing spandex.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Great...Kitchener is getting light rail and we're getting Taco Del Mar. This forum lately seems to be a sad reflection of our city. Any one else tired of endless debates on drive thrus and water bottles?
Yeah, but we have them beat on employement figures: London lost over 3000 jobs (net loss) over the past year. Tra-la-la.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 3:17 PM

Quote:
They're the downtown version of Wal-Mart greeters. LOL

Friendly, accessible and filled with information about what to do in London's core.

They'll walk the core and offer help to anyone who needs questions answered about what do in the city centre, says Janette MacDonald of MainStreet London.
Isn't that what London's infamous Town Crier already does?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 3:55 AM
Londoner

Growth proposal meets approval

Growth proposal meets approval

Sat, June 28, 2008

After 20 months of fighting about how London should grow, city council has agreed to a plan that will see it take more control over development.

The plan places council at the tiller as city hall plans growth in London's southwest, where a lineup of potential developers includes a group tied to the world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart.

It does so in a way -- proposed by Controller Gord Hume -- that addressed concerns raised by developers:

- The city will try to complete plans for the southwest by the end of 2009, six months sooner than had been proposed by city staff.

- Developers can begin their plans while they wait for the city to finish its work.

Hume's proposals won support of three council members who a week earlier had opposed the plan before the planning committee. Council supported the plan by a vote of 17 to one.

"I think the decision is tremendously important," Hume said yesterday. "This will set the parameters for the next several years for how the city will grow and prosper."

Also praising the direction was Coun. Joni Baechler.

"It's pivotal. I'm really pleased to see that city hall is now in the driver's seat," she said.

The agreement may mark a turning point for council by removing what was a significant source of political acrimony that often spilled into debates on other issues.

"I'm hopeful the acrimony will reduce. This has been a contentious issue," Baechler said.

The city plan received support from the construction lobby and developers.

"(We) support the city's (strategy)," Jim MacKinnon, head of the Keeping London Growing Coalition, wrote to a city official.

"The city should immediately begin a high-level master planning process that identifies segments within the southwest and . . . the order in which these lands will be developing," wrote Barry Card, a lawyer representing York Developments.

However, industry advocates also want the city to adapt its plan to changing market conditions.

"Flexibility is key," wrote Stephen Janes of the London Development Institute, a lobby group for developers.

Developers want to build in the city's southwest, near highways 401 and 402. Staff say the city can only afford to develop one-quarter of the southwest, with much of it not to begin for another decade.

Some issues remain unresolved, including who will call the shots in the construction of storm-water facilities.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 1:09 AM

Quote:
- The city will try to complete plans for the southwest by the end of 2009, six months sooner than had been proposed by city staff.
I hope when they refer to "southwest" they're also referring to the area around Byron. That area sorely needs some commercial development, especially on the south end. Or is the old view of London ending at Wonderland Road still present?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates