HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
There's two.
Apparently one of the 2 listed closed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 10:19 PM

Starbucks pilots greener coffee cup that's recyclable and compostable

Cup will launch in Vancouver this year, and lightweight recyclable strawless lid will launch in Toronto
Melissa Bennardo · CBC News · Mar 20, 2019

Starbucks announced Wednesday it will pilot new greener to-go cups this year in Vancouver that will be both recyclable and compostable.

Vancouver will join New York, San Francisco, Seattle and London to trial different cup options that will be chosen from the NextGen Cup Challenge winners that were announced earlier this month.

"We know how important this issue is to Canadians," said Michael Conway, executive vice president and president of Starbucks Canada in a media release. "We're committed to being a part of the solution. I'm excited and proud that our customers in Vancouver will be among the first to sip coffee from a greener to-go cup."

In addition to the greener cups, the coffee company will roll out new recyclable strawless lids to stores across North America beginning in Toronto. Customers may have already seen strawless lids at select locations but the new lid has been redesigned to be more lightweight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sta...6P2NcojxGKNM7Y

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 6:42 PM

I'm sad to hear about the Nestle Cafe, it was a bit campy but they had good cookies. The location was not good for tourists though, who I suspect would've helped it succeed. Tourists tend to do things like get an ice cream cookie sandwich with the kids or treats etc. more casually than office workers. The location is close to Granville but most people on GRanville also wouldn't venture a block over for things like that. Just my opinion, I feel like if they moved somewhere like the Mink Chocolate area close to Canada Place they would do much better, or even near Waterfront station/Gastown-ish area.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I think the most telling is the people reaction to the rat. If it happened to me I wouldn't be showing it off calmly and posting about it on social media. The whole thing stinks and we'll probably never know the truth, but the damage to the restaurant is done.
The health inspection report posted today isn't for the squeamish, good thing they closed!

'Thick accumulation of rodent excrement': Inspectors find filth after chowder rat video

Warning: Story contains details about poor sanitation some might find difficult to read
Bethany Lindsay · CBC News · Posted: Mar 26, 2019 4:00 AM PT | Last Updated: an hour ago

The seafood chowder prepared in a Vancouver restaurant kitchen was "unfit for human consumption," according to an inspection report prepared after a rat was allegedly found in a customer's bread bowl.

Cockroaches, mouse droppings and other rodent excrement were all visible when Vancouver Coastal Health inspectors visited the commercial commissary kitchen at Mamie Taylor's restaurant on Dec. 28, 2018, according to a report obtained through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request...

..."A cockroach was sighted running over [Crab Park Chowdery owner Ashton] Phillips's head. Mouse droppings were noted inside the walk-in cooler, as well as in the food preparation and food storage areas. A thick accumulation of rodent excrement and accumulated debris was noted on plumbing lines situated above the cooking equipment."

She notes that 10-litre plastic tubs of chowder were placed into a walk-in cooler once they were taken off the stove.

"At the time of inspection, the chowders in the walk-in cooler were NOT covered," Rehbein wrote...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5071271

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:36 PM

gross.

Can't do much about cockroaches in some parts of the city. I've worked at two places that had them and they ran everywhere and they said you won't find a restaurant on broadway or kingsway that doesn't have them.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:38 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 9:16 PM

Hey, the report has the Chowdery's recipe - sounds easy - brown some onions, celery and garlic, toss in a bunch of canned stuff, potatoes and stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I'm sad to hear about the Nestle Cafe, it was a bit campy but they had good cookies. The location was not good for tourists though, who I suspect would've helped it succeed. Tourists tend to do things like get an ice cream cookie sandwich with the kids or treats etc. more casually than office workers. The location is close to Granville but most people on GRanville also wouldn't venture a block over for things like that. Just my opinion, I feel like if they moved somewhere like the Mink Chocolate area close to Canada Place they would do much better, or even near Waterfront station/Gastown-ish area.
Even at the new convention centre, confectionary and ice cream vendors have come and gone.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hey, the report has the Chowdery's recipe - sounds easy - brown some onions, celery and garlic, toss in a bunch of canned stuff, potatoes and stock.
Make it yourself at home and you can pretty much guarantee no bonus "protein"!

In all seriousness what happened with Crab Park is a lesson to all businesses in crisis management in what not to do. Literally anything Ashton Phillips did in the wake of that video, you should not do.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 8:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 7:15 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
a changing of the guard. how long has Hos been there? a good 15 years?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 12:28 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Good riddance, that location had become so rundown and filthy, nothing has been done to maintain it in it's almost 20 years in that location.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:17 PM

At the Medical Arts Building on Granville near Robson:

https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 9:39 PM

this could be good

The MRG Group Brings a Bavarian Beer Hall Experience to Vancouver with Opening of Prost Haus

Vancouver’s newest spot for pretzels, schnitzel and steins of beer to open its doors on May 2, 2019 at 900 Granville Street rooftop

April 23, 2019 12:00 ET | Source: The MRG Group

Vancouver, April 23, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Leading hospitality and entertainment company, The MRG Group is proud to announce their latest exciting venture in Vancouver, Prost Haus. Prost Haus, a Bavarian-themed food and drink experience which will open on May 2, 2019, in the rooftop above the group’s flagship location, Dublin Calling, located at 900 Granville Street. This will be the MRG Group’s fourth unique experience on the Granville Strip joining Dublin Calling, the Yale Saloon and Vogue Theatre.

Inspired by Bavarian beer halls, Prost Haus will feature long tables for communal dining where guests will be greeted by staff dressed in traditional lederhosen. Prost Haus’ menu will be serving up authentic and delicious German favourites such as pretzels, bratwurst and schnitzel and complemented by beer from all over the world, chilled and served in stein horns. Guests of Prost will be entertained for hours with fun games including oversized jenga, shuffle-board, and a bean bag toss, as well as offering the world’s longest shot-ski for a highly amusing and instagrammable moment with large groups.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...rost-Haus.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 9:41 PM

Pallet coffee is opening in the former Nestle cafe spot that recently closed

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pall...reet-vancouver

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 5:39 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I can't find a news article for it but Buddha's Orient Express in the Commercial-Broadway station has closed.
Fond memories there of cheap, greasy but delicious food, purchased on the way home from bar hopping on Saturday nights....

Edited: Oh hell, that happened MONTHS ago it seems. It was mentioned one page back that something else was opening there. Comes to show how often I visit town in the winter.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I can't find a news article for it but Buddha's Orient Express in the Commercial-Broadway station has closed.
Fond memories there of cheap, greasy but delicious food, purchased on the way home from bar hopping on Saturday nights....

Edited: Oh hell, that happened MONTHS ago it seems. It was mentioned one page back that something else was opening there. Comes to show how often I visit town in the winter.
Really??? That was my go to spot for dinner after coming home from SFU.

Gone for 6 years and it seems there are barely any restaurants / greasy spoons left that I know.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:33 AM

Its being replaced by a chinese restaurant called Neptune Chinese Kitchen. they have a few locations

http://www.neptunechinesekitchen.com/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:37 PM
SkyTrain Nut

They make themselves seem quite classy. I wonder how they'll maintain that with such a small and narrow suite.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
They make themselves seem quite classy. I wonder how they'll maintain that with such a small and narrow suite.
There's a Neptune location on Alberni St downtown and another just opened on Davie. Believe me they're anything but "classy". Perhaps a step up from those Chinese-Canadian diners though - more like an upscale Hons, but the website makes it look like another Kirin.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:21 PM

Driving on 2nd Ave by Olympic Village I noticed a new Hon's Wonton House - looked small, more like a take-out place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining