HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:55 AM

Riverview needs to accept this proposal immediately, one because I like it... but two because this would be a huge development for the town, increasing the tax base and possibly the beginning of a small downtown for the community to use as their own.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 8:26 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

If this proposal gets municipal approval, this will be an absolute game changer for the town of Riverview. There is no question that if this development happens, it will deserve it's own thread on SSP.
I can imagine few Nimby arguments that will stop this one. No one gets their back yard put into shadow. No one loses access to the river.
If they are that close to the road, how much of Coverdale do they need to block off to hang those massive picture frames?

The variances are pretty extreme though. A variance is requested to reduce the front yard setback from 4.5 metres to 0 metres.

The corners of the retail touch the sidewalk. Where will they put the snow?

Last edited by riverviewer; Mar 28, 2019 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
I can imagine few Nimby arguments that will stop this one. No one gets their back yard put into shadow. No one loses access to the river.
If they are that close to the road, how much of Coverdale do they need to block off to hang those massive picture frames?

The variances are pretty extreme though. A variance is requested to reduce the front yard setback from 4.5 metres to 0 metres.

The corners of the retail touch the sidewalk. Where will they put the snow?
I know you are being sarcastic.

Despite the fact that there are no residential neighbours who would be immediately impacted by this development, I am very concerned that NIMBYism will rear it's ugly head in any event.

A development like this strikes to the very core of the identity of Riverview. Riverview has cultivated an image of being a sleepy bedroom community to Moncton. A lot of residents are comfortable with this identity. This development could be perceived as being a threat to that.

Riverview will have to decide whether or not they want to be a major player in the greater Moncton metropolitan community. They had better choose well. If they deny this development "just cuz", it could have major ramifications for the future economic health of the municipality.

Choose well Riverview, choose well..........

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:47 PM

I find it ironic that this development is larger than anything going on around the event centre.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:12 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
They had better choose well. If they deny this development "just cuz", it could have major ramifications for the future economic health of the municipality.
Riverview has said no before and developers still came back with new ideas. And it won't be just cuz, it will be to save the bear.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

How attached are Riverviewers to the Chocolate River Station???

Could this be a point of concern?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:

How attached are Riverviewers to the Chocolate River Station???

Could this be a point of concern?
More importantly, how much is the Chocolate River Station costing residents in taxes to keep open? I believe there is only 1 or 2 tenants in the entire building, I don’t believe that would even come close to paying the costs. The proposed mixed-use building will be much more attractive to retail and service providers, as generous space is provided on the ground level. It looks like they have positioned the building close to the road for two important factors: 1. So future commercial tenants will have great visibility and access to customers and succeed, and 2. To create a very nice landscape addition and green spaces along the board walk. I am sure they will want to add to the quality of the board walk for their tenants and residents of the Town. And for Pete sake, the adjacent building is a tire/muffler shop, if people can’t see the benefit of this project to their community then we have serious problems of ever progressing. This will also add hugely to Riverview tax collections and allow for future things like the Towns own recreational complex, more and improved trails, spur more projects like this, etc, etc.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:38 PM

Riverview needs to approve this. The Chocolate River station is fine and all, but the retailers could potentially move into the new building anyway.

I know it's an oversimplification to say they could just move, but I don't know if the Chocolate River station has really lived up to what the town had hoped it would be.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:54 PM

I saw the figures once of what the station is costing taxpayers but as always I can't recall the number, though I do recall that it was enough to raise my eyebrows. And indeed they have one or two tenants who are eking out a meagre living there based solely on what I've seen during my two or three annual visits there, but that's it as far as I've noticed, no others seem to have lasted very long.
Still, my money is on a vocal minority of Riverview residents stating they willl die before letting their precious Chocolate Station be replaced, all while refusing to spend a thin dime to support any tenants there.
I pray I'm proven wrong. The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 1:55 PM

I would imagine the biggest financial piece to the the Chocolate River Station is the wedding/events business. I'm not clear if the town gets a piece of that pie or if the event space is owned by a private company.

I'd be ecstatic to see this approved. I've always thought Riverview could have a small "downtown" if it added some mixed use buildings on the riverfront.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Riverview has said no before and developers still came back with new ideas. And it won't be just cuz, it will be to save the bear.

I actually really love that piece of artwork. I hope there's a way to preserve it somehow.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
They had better choose well. If they deny this development "just cuz", it could have major ramifications for the future economic health of the municipality.

Choose well Riverview, choose well..........
If they say no to this, we might as well shut down the causeway bridge development, tear down the Gunningsville crossing, rebuild the old Gunningsville bridge to it original form & state, and wish them well to the future.

And they can post these little guys all along the riverfront

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 5:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I actually really love that piece of artwork. I hope there's a way to preserve it somehow.
I see on other sites that some people are already complaining about the loss of the murals, and professing worry over the wedding chapel.

I wonder how many interveners will show up at the PAC meeting. Will there be people marching with placards outside town hall.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
I see on other sites that some people are already complaining about the loss of the murals, and professing worry over the wedding chapel.

I wonder how many interveners will show up at the PAC meeting. Will there be people marching with placards outside town hall.
Down with development, save the bear and the weird octopus Eel on the side of the building! Down with shadows! I’m sure these are some of the chants.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:

You forgot the flaming torches and pitchforks.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 10:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few comments I found online on another site regarding this proposal:

Quote:
Stack em on top of each other put them downtown
Quote:
I’m not sure something like this is the right fit for Riverview; it takes away from our small town feel
Quote:
I feel the same way. I’m not a fan of this at all
Quote:
What I like about Riverview is being able to drive down Coverdale Road and see lots of greenery, flowers and the Chocolate River. This concrete behemoth will completely block a huge portion of the view of the river.

This is only day one. The forces against this proposal could soon be marshalling. As much as we would like to see this development proceed, it is by no means a slam dunk...........

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
A few comments I found online on another site regarding this proposal:

This is only day one. The forces against this proposal could soon be marshalling. As much as we would like to see this development proceed, it is by no means a slam dunk...........

I saw those as well, but I think this will be a battle that they may lose.. the town is going to have to decide what they want their future to be.. Do they want to build the tax base, attract new developments, new businesses? Or do they want to continue the current path and show no interest in growth as a community, scaring away prospective businesses and development..

I really believe this is going set a precedent for the town for years to come, they have to make the right choice or they could be at risk of losing out for years to come.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I really believe this is going set a precedent for the town for years to come, they have to make the right choice or they could be at risk of losing out for years to come.
I agree. I strongly believe that this is one of those seminal moments in the history of Riverview which could define the community for decades to come. Do they approve this development, seize the day, and take their place as a full and complete member of the tri-cities, or do they decide that Riverview is just fine the way it is, and perpetuate an anti-development stance which has stagnated the community for the last decade.

Economic growth swells the tax base, allowing new revenues to flow to municipal coffers and would provide the means to build the infrastructure that the citizens of Riverview desire. The town wants to build a new $16M wellness centre to include an aquatics centre, walking track, community space and turf field house. How can they afford this if they don't grow the tax base???

If I were on the PAC, I know what way I would vote.............

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also found in the PAC document, but completely overshadowed by the signature development we have been discussing above:

Quote:
Crombie Developments Ltd. 736 Coverdale Road (PID 00994368) a conditional use application to allow a recreational vehicle establishment in the SC zone (File 19-42320)
This is in reference to the old ANBL store in the Riverview Mall parking lot. Apparently someone is interested in using the building for a recreational (power sports) vehicle dealership. The building itself would remain unaltered, but a new fenced in storage area would be built along the west side of the existing building.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:32 AM
Random Contributor

The Chocolate Station lot in Riverview is one of few viable river bank properties for development. Most of the Petitcodiac shoreline is wide unattractive mud flats. Moncton's water front consists of the dumpy trail and ball fields and park land. Dieppe is all mud and flood plain. The few spots on Assumption Blvd where the river cuts close are already built on. Where else can you put apartments on the riverbank?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces