HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Too bad they don't have an infinity pool placed up on the roof patio. That would be even better. Without the constraints of viewcones, designers can always come up with fun stuff on top of the building when the desired density is achieved.
That would not be for the faint-hearted lol. I think that there may be a jacuzzi on the roof though. If you look closely at the render at the top right corner. Looks like just enough space for a Jacuzzi. They should also install a large fireplace in the center block that supports the roof. Think that would look cool.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
It will be interesting to see if the finished product is as luxurious as the rendering. Certainly not the case here at P.A. I mean it's adequate but not very close to the artist's concept. In our brochure it even showed a couple enjoying a glass of wine while watching the sunset, but strata forbade alcohol on the roof at their first meeting.
I can't tell if those glasses on the brochure are holding wine or carbonated drink

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-clam9 View Post
I can't tell if those glasses on the brochure are holding wine or carbonated drink
Ours stated " enjoy a cocktail at sunset or a coffee while watching the sunrise from the rooftop garden"... then strata said no alcohol on the roof and restricted the roof to between 10:00 A.M. and 10:00 P.M.. So much for watching the sunrise from there.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:25 PM

Time to get on your strata council, then? Haha. Although from my experience, in the first year of a new strata, when it's a bit of a free-for-all, someone or something always spoils the fun for everyone. It could be a break-in, misuse of the garbage room, or a wild drunken party that trashed the common areas. Then the strata has to bring in new restrictions, unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:16 PM

A friend got fed up with his condo's strata council who were hysterically adverse to performing preventative maintenance and ensuring the maintenance reserve fund was adequate for even moderate day-to-day issues.

At the next AGM he put forward an aggressive set of goals for his presidential candidacy and said something to the effect of (highly editorialized by me): "as president, there won't be any surprises. I am going to substantially increase strata fees to fix the deferred maintenance and budget shortfall mess and avoid ad hoc use of huge special assessments. I don't care that long-time owners want to keep fees low, it's hugely irresponsible and thanks to the spectacular appreciation they've enjoyed since they bought they prefer to use special assessments because they can borrow against their equity and afford it. You don't have to like me, you don't have to agree that many of us look at crap like this as inter-generational theft in microcosm, but I will be a good president and we will all benefit from getting out ahead of maintenance."

He won and followed through on his promises. Some old guard were pissed and sold, but most people seemed relieved and appreciated the predictability of strata fees versus the surprise of special assessments.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:34 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
A friend got fed up with his condo's strata council who were hysterically adverse to performing preventative maintenance and ensuring the maintenance reserve fund was adequate for even moderate day-to-day issues.
Yikes! My building seems like paradise in comparison. Strata always has a spreadsheet of expected bigger projects that they know will need to be done in the next 5 years or so. Our fees are slightly higher than what's needed to pay off day-to-day expenses and save up for the bigger ones we know are coming. We have the occasional levy but overall things are pretty stable and maintenance is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
My strata just argued that we should never renovate the common areas, ever, even if the cost is $7,000 and we have a $100,000+ contingency fund with no big upcoming expenses. It hasn't been renovated since the 70s and looks as worn down and tacky as you can imagine - green carpet, gold triangular shaped light fixtures, etc. Strata BS makes me never want to live in a condo again - I have never encountered such a dumb, short sighted and even corrupt group of people.
Your building's common area carpets haven't been replaced since the 70's? My building is from the mid-90's and is talking about replaced ours (for the second time) in the next year or two. Admittedly the lights are original but they're fairly simple and timeless. I'm hoping the next time the walls are painted they pick something other than the pale yellow they've always been (the original carpet was pretty dominant and required the most basic paint colour to keep things sane).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:29 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Time to get on your strata council, then? Haha. Although from my experience, in the first year of a new strata, when it's a bit of a free-for-all, someone or something always spoils the fun for everyone. It could be a break-in, misuse of the garbage room, or a wild drunken party that trashed the common areas. Then the strata has to bring in new restrictions, unfortunately.
Yeah, that's the story here alright. Actually our council seems pretty competent, other than being party poopers, but I guess, as you say, a few irresponsible residents can spoil it for the majority.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 12:27 AM

For carpet, I've seen buildings with carpet tiles.
I think that's the way to go in case a spot gets stained or bleached - it can easily be swapped out.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:56 AM

I think I lucked out with my strata council. They're very much on the ball and proactive about maintenance and big projects on the horizon. There have been two special levy's, one of which really sucked because it meant repiping the whole highrise building, but my strata was right in that it had to be done.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:08 AM

Looks like the site completely died down. Has anyone seen any work being done within the last 2 weeks?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Looks like the site completely died down. Has anyone seen any work being done within the last 2 weeks?
All fence work in prep for excavation. They spent last week putting up a new fence around the enter perimeter and preparing the spray areas for the dump trucks that will be going in and out.

I would expect excavation to start hopefully within April but I'm just guessing here based on how other projects have gone. You never really know.

But yah short answer is they just put up new construction fences...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:07 PM

There's a dump truck and backhoe type thing working right now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
There's a dump truck and backhoe type thing working right now.
Those have been there for over a month now, along with an excavator, but it's all about laying various pipelines under the streets.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:37 PM

It looks like they're starting to dig up part of the parking lot right now.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
It looks like they're starting to dig up part of the parking lot right now.
They dug a small hole in the parking lot, but what for

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
They dug a small hole in the parking lot, but what for
Buried treasure? Jimmy Hoffa? The golden plans for how LRT will transform Surrey?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:14 AM

Excavator was digging again this morning. Could it be for the pit? Hmmmm...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Excavator was digging again this morning. Could it be for the pit? Hmmmm...
Don't think so. He's been moving all over the place, digging a little here and there. Maybe he is looking for buried treasure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley