HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:49 PM

It'll still be nice to see a crane or two around there, even if they don't exactly soar over the Lloyd skyline.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 1:44 AM
Karma Police

Well, this project and the new Convention hotel should be going up simultaneously. Isn't the hotel supposed to be 25 floors?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 8:33 AM
Karma Police

Yes, 25 stories. And this from the Business Journal last month...

Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 10:26am PST

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...t.html?s=print

Quote:
A 600-room Hyatt-flagged hotel could be constructed at the Oregon Convention Center with little impact on the public purse, a Portland developer says Barry Schlesinger, principal with the Schlesinger Cos., is teaming with Mortenson Development and Hyatt Hotels Corp. to advance the hotel at the Oregon Convention Center.

The team is negotiating a development agreement with Metro, the regional government. It aims to break ground by late 2013 on a site immediately north of the convention center, 777 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The goal is to open the hotel, the long missing piece of Oregon’s convention industry, by late 2015.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 7:37 PM
Semi-Lurker

I was under the impression it was going to be in the 15-16 story range....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:43 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

None of those links above work anymore.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:54 PM
Karma Police

Hmm, I guess that link expired. Anyway, the point is there will be two towers going up in Lloyd starting later this year. Lots to look forward to.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:44 AM

The link to the drawings (efiles.portlandoregon.gov) caused me all kinds of problmes - I could not open it at all in Chrome (I got a duplicate headers received error), but did manage to open it using Firefox, but even then I had to save it somewhere and then open it w/o the browser.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 6:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
I like the fact that they're reinstating the street grid, and I'm glad to finally see this parking lot disappear. Too bad they've scaled back (now down to 17 stories), but the main thing is what happens at street level.
That was my thought too, good to see some progressive development happening in the Lloyd District that better mimics downtown Portland.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 7:40 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I decided to be nice and host the file for everyone, since this is kind of a big deal for the Lloyd:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Ve...haSGFGMVk/edit

Quote:
I like the fact that they're reinstating the street grid, and I'm glad to finally see this parking lot disappear. Too bad they've scaled back (now down to 17 stories), but the main thing is what happens at street level.
I'm not so sure that putting through streets through there is a great idea - there is already a lot of auto infrastructure in the Lloyd. That and the 1,200 extra below-grade parking (1:2 ratio of units to parking, no less!) could be a large reason they had to scale the buildings so far back. That much parking probably cost in the ballpark of $60 million - a very large slice of the total development costs.

I wonder why they decided they needed so much parking when there are what, 20+ residential projects in Portland that are going ahead with ZERO parking?

Probably getting money from a traditional lending agency that has very rigid rules, but nonetheless odd. They will likely never fill that parking up.

Anyways, I digress. The space between those 4 buildings would have made a great linear park or space for the residents, instead of just another street in Portland on a grid! Lost opportunity - see the PAM plaza block for inspiration.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 AM
Karma Police

I disagree, I think reinstating the grid will be great for the overall health of the development. It's the superblocks in the Lloyd District that kill the walkability of the area. Also, I believe that Hassalo is designated for auto traffic while 8th is designed primarily as a pedestrian corridor with bioswales, wide walkways and limited access for autos. It would be very similar to the linear park idea you described. And it will tie in really well with Oregon Square's 8th Ave walkway that terminates at the domed Oregon State Bldg.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I disagree, I think reinstating the grid will be great for the overall health of the development. It's the superblocks in the Lloyd District that kill the walkability of the area. Also, I believe that Hassalo is designated for auto traffic while 8th is designed primarily as a pedestrian corridor with bioswales, wide walkways and limited access for autos. It would be very similar to the linear park idea you described. And it will tie in really well with Oregon Square's 8th Ave walkway that terminates at the domed Oregon State Bldg.
I agree the gird will be great but just as long as they make it more pedestrian oriented.

Last edited by JG573; Jan 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:47 PM

Wish I could read the rest of this.

Lloyd District ‘superblock’ reduces in height (access required)
POSTED: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 05:29 PM PT
BY: Reed Jackson
The proposed Lloyd Blocks housing development created a buzz last year because of its massive size. It was originally planned to include 820,000 square feet total of residential space and 50,000 square feet of retail space. However, at a Portland Design Commission hearing last week, the proposed project looked much less like a “superblock.”

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/02/13...#ixzz2KtecMojA

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
However, at a Portland Design Commission hearing last week, the proposed project looked much less like a “superblock.”
[Pedant]No, it looked to be exactly as much of a superblock as it did before. The term refers to blocks that are much larger in area than traditional city blocks. In this case, the blocks covers the area that would normally be four separate blocks.[/Pedant]

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 PM
Well designed mixed use

This is still a very significant development.

Tall towers look great from a distance, but what happens on the street level is what's most important. This is a key lynchpin development that will make a huge stride in making a neighborhood out of the Lloyd District. I can't wait to see it rise.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 6:47 PM

I'm confused, is this the 'super-block' or something new?

Apr 1, 2013, 10:45am PDT
Could a 20-story apartment tower be coming to the Lloyd District?
Wendy Culverwell
Real Estate Daily editor- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/.../wIKsmMtmSIXCT
Quote:
A 20-story tower with 238 apartments and ground-floor retail space could be the start of something big in the Lloyd District for a San Diego real estate investment firm.

American Assets Trust is seeking permission to construct the apartment project at Northeast Holladay Street and Ninth Avenue from the city of Portland.

The real estate trust submitted a permit request to the city’s major projects group on March 18. The project is under review.

The Lloyd portfolio included a development project that could add as many as 750 apartments and other amenities. At the time, it said it would press ahead with the development.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 11:56 PM

I think this is a different project. For one thing, per PortlandMap.com, the owner of the *southwest* corner of NE 9th and Hollday is listed as AAT Lloyd District, LLC, based in San Diego - apparently American Asset Trust. The current building in that location is a non-descript 2-story office building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 11:57 PM

Oh, and another thing is that the superblock's tallest building is only 16 stories.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:00 AM

Actually, to clarify, the entire block, between 7th, 9th, Holladay and Oregon, which includes the little gazebo across from the MAX station, is owned by AAT. It's roughly the same size as the superblock to the north.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 12:35 AM

I've always thought that was a handsome little building, and I'd be sad to see it go, especially when there are so many easily developable lots in the Lloyd District.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:58 AM

Quote:
I think this is a different project. For one thing, per PortlandMap.com, the owner of the *southwest* corner of NE 9th and Hollday is listed as AAT Lloyd District, LLC, based in San Diego - apparently American Asset Trust. The current building in that location is a non-descript 2-story office building.
They own each of the blocks that make the entire super block too according to Portland Maps. Perhaps the height of the tower has gone up a little? Would be nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland