HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 8:07 PM

The last major policy move that the province did before carbon pricing was accelerated capital cost allowances for the oil sands brought in under Klein and Chrétien. That was a major policy move that let the province beat others to market. I guess the other was the approval of the Alliance Pipeline without ethane extraction on it right around the same time (1996-98 ish).

Other changes have warmed things up or cooled things down, but for a big structural move there you have it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:54 PM

Oil Bust Squeezes Calgary
Wall Street Journal
6 Apr 2016

"The housing market in Calgary, capital of Canada’s struggling energy sector, has been hit so hard it makes the challenges faced by U.S. oil towns look relatively mild." ....

"In Calgary, the slowdown also has been felt by a wider range of homeowners. In Houston most of the pain so far is being felt among sellers of high- end homes priced at $500,000 and above—a sector that saw a 12% decrease in sales volume in the year ended in February.

Until recently, this also was true in Calgary. The slowdown had been more or less confined to high-end homes worth C$700,000 ( US$ 534,800) and higher.

But now that trend is playing out in lower price ranges as well, especially in the C$ 500,000 to C$ 600,000 range, which includes the majority of the detached homes, according to Ann-Marie Lurie, chief economist with the Calgary Real Estate Board." ....

"“I haven’t got a buyer in real estate right now who isn’t petrified to even buy,” said Keith Crawford, a Calgarybased realtor at Century 21, adding buyers aren’t sure if prices have hit a bottom.

Calgary’s housing market is suffering more partly because this city of about 1.2 million people has a less diversified economy than Houston. Also, Canada’s economy overall also remains vulnerable to a slowdown right now, while the U.S. economy remains strong.

Finally, Calgary’s oil industry is more dependent on a pricey method of extraction that is more vulnerable to a drop in oil prices."

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:24 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Pretty soon most Canadian papers are just going to have enough staff to print Postmedia editorials from head office.
Then the old soviet newspaper " Provda " will take over and spread their lies - like they did for decades in the old soviet empire.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:00 PM
BANNED

The Calgary Film Centre opens today. I know Nenshi and co were recently in Cali creating awareness as well as recruiting tech firms.

More positive news:
Quote:
CED wants to attract 70 new businesses to the city in 3 years

Calgary,Alberta / News Talk 770 (CHQR)
Cam Donavin

CED wants to attract 70 new businesses to the city in 3 years
Calgary Economic Development has launched an ambitious plan to try and attract seventy new businesses to the city in the next three years.

The idea is to use our office vacancy rate as incentive, which is as high as 20 per cent in some downtown buildings.

CED president Mary Moran says in a recent survey, half the respondents said they feel the energy industry will never be the same after this downturn, and our economy needs to diversify.

She says the plan is to reach out to sectors in cities like Vancouver who are having a tough time attracting people with the high cost of living and trying to sell them on setting up a satellite office in Calgary.

“I would say our number one asset is this very high educated, talented workforce, and that’s always the lead story. But we are also competitive from a tax perspective and we also now have softening of office space, rentals. So if you look at jurisdictions like Vancouver where it’s prohibitively expensive for people to live there, and yet they have high demand for talent, we can be a relief valve for Vancouver to try to attract a satellite office or regional office.”

Moran says there is also the opportunity, especially with older buildings to turn some of that into residential space.

Mary Moran was speaking at Calgary Economic Development’s annual Report to the Community luncheon.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi was also at the event. He believes there are still opportunities for economic development in Calgary.

He says there are industries where economic diversification can take place, pointing to transportation and logistics, travel and tourism, as well as the creative industries and agri-business.

Nenshi says while the city’s unemployment rate is above the national average, more jobs were created than lost.

He says part of that is because people are still moving to the city.

He says the strategy of Calgary Economic Development works in the short term, saying companies should look at hiring students, purchase from local businesses and use their time to be more innovative.

Nenshi says in the medium and long term, the city needs to work at attracting more people and the best talent in the world.

He adds that in turn, that will attract more jobs.

Comments are closed.

http://www.newstalk770.com/2016/05/17/125411/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:57 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
De Beers moving their Canadian corporate HQ from TO to YYC. Small bit of good news amongst the doom and gloom.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3666953

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 2:39 AM

Saw on the CBC there was a brief discussion with Arlene Dickinson about one of her latest projects. Arlene is a great person to have working everyday in Calgary to make our city prosper, I hope we can attract more people with her skills and vision.

Her latest project is called District Venture Accelerator, here is a link
http://www.districtventures.ca/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 2:47 AM

I completely agree with you. Arlene and Brett Wilson are great people to have in Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
De Beers moving their Canadian corporate HQ from TO to YYC. Small bit of good news amongst the doom and gloom.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3666953
This makes a lot of sense. Their projects in the north are staged out of Alberta and our charter airlines provide them access to their sites. I wouldn't go so far as calling it the logistics capital of Canada, but it's certainly an important logistics hub and the logistics gateway to the North.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 10:01 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Some good news. Second diamond company to relocate to Calgary.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ates-1.3840165

And some bad news. This is pretty sobering, but not unexpected given the state of the industry right now.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/calga...ists-1.3151333

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:30 AM

I'm debating moving back to the city. I transfered out to Vancouver for the olympics and ended up staying here. Now that I'm looking for the job (working contract work in between) I'm thinking a move to Calgary is in order. At some point Calgary labor market is going to explode again and I would love to get out in front of the trend.

Can someone give me an idea of what to expect?

I'm restricted to public transit and would like to be located near the train lines. Also it would be awesome to have grocery/costco nearby. Where should I be looking? Any up and coming neighborhoods?

Also, what have I missed since 2010? The Bow wasn't even complete when I left, nor was the west LRT line. What projects would I most be impressed with?

Cheers!

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
Also, what have I missed since 2010? The Bow wasn't even complete when I left, nor was the west LRT line. What projects would I most be impressed with?

Cheers!
Hmmmm.... maybe look at the Calgary construction thread?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
I'm debating moving back to the city. I transfered out to Vancouver for the olympics and ended up staying here. Now that I'm looking for the job (working contract work in between) I'm thinking a move to Calgary is in order. At some point Calgary labor market is going to explode again and I would love to get out in front of the trend.

Can someone give me an idea of what to expect?

I'm restricted to public transit and would like to be located near the train lines. Also it would be awesome to have grocery/costco nearby. Where should I be looking? Any up and coming neighborhoods?

Cheers!
To comment on jobs here and where you might want to situate yourself. I'm not so sure that the labour market is going to rebound like it has after past recessions and downturns. There has been some consolidation & sell-offs in oil & gas which means companies have downsized permanently. Also, the large companies have put oil sand expansion projects on the back burner. Depending on the demand for our energy products, it may be years before those projects get the green light. Judging from our almost 30% vacancy rate in downtown office space, I don't see any other industries jumping in to fill that void. It will take some time for that to happen.
As for living, I assume you will be renting. If so, the good news is that there is a glut of rental units (both brand new and existing) in the inner city (anywhere in the Beltline). There are good deals to be had on medium to long term leases.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:27 PM

Here is that announcement on tech company we've been waiting for.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...gary-1.4139413

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:53 AM
Moran supreme

3D modeling of available office space - link. Have fun people.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:57 PM

Amazon to create 750 jobs in Calgary area, open distribution centre

As Calgary pursues the second corporate headquarters of Amazon, it’s about to nab some regional jobs from the e-commerce giant in another form — hosting a new distribution centre.

The Seattle-based firm is expected to announce Thursday that it will be opening up a “fulfilment centre” in the Calgary area, creating about 750 full-time positions, sources said.

The facility will be located outside city limits in Balzac, with the company packing and shipping orders received from online customers.

“Having 750 jobs is a significant opportunity,” said a source close to the announcement. “We’re just pleased that they are coming to the region.”

Amazon has more than 4,000 full-time employees in the country, but does not have any major operations in Alberta.

It runs six distribution centres across Canada, with four located in the Greater Toronto Area and two in the Vancouver area. It also has corporate offices in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.

Thursday’s announcement is expected to be attended by local and company officials, as well as Premier Rachel Notley.

“We are very pleased that Amazon chose Alberta as place to invest,” said one government official, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

The new facility will be located in Rocky View County, which has become a growing logistics and distribution hub. It has attracted companies like Walmart, which opened a $115-million food distribution warehouse in the area in 2010.

Full story at: http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ibution-centre

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:46 AM

BALZAC man, fucking Balzac! That place is intense. Target was there, now Sobeys uses there warehouse, Smuckers is there, probably more that I'm missing. They even have their first hotel! The County is flying high!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
BALZAC man, fucking Balzac! That place is intense. Target was there, now Sobeys uses there warehouse, Smuckers is there, probably more that I'm missing. They even have their first hotel! The County is flying high!
I'm not surprised one bit that Amazon chose Balzac/Rocky View County. That area has excellent infrastructure for distribution centers. I can see them taking over Vancouver as Western Canada's main Amazon distribution hub.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Petco, Costco and Walmart all have huge distribution centers in Rocky View County.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Petco, Costco and Walmart all have huge distribution centers in Rocky View County.
Didn't know costco had distribution out there as well. I know they have a large operation in airdrie though. Growing up I had several friends who lived out near all those warehouses, I used to ride my bike down the service road all summer to go see my friends. No helmet on or anything. Most days I wouldn't see a single car! Now days no way in hell I'd ride my bike down the old service road behind the weigh scales.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Didn't know costco had distribution out there as well. I know they have a large operation in airdrie though. Growing up I had several friends who lived out near all those warehouses, I used to ride my bike down the service road all summer to go see my friends. No helmet on or anything. Most days I wouldn't see a single car! Now days no way in hell I'd ride my bike down the old service road behind the weigh scales.
They probably consider Airdrie to be in Rocky View County. I know I do. There's so much out there and the location is perfect when you consider that it's so close to two major freeways, the airport, etc. The province, county and even Calgary need to work together to attract more major companies to setup distribution centers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy