HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:48 PM
ON3P Skis

People are slowing down WAAAAY too much for the plates. And some are SLAMMING on the brakes. It's a pain in the ass, and dangerous.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:59 AM

If people were paying attention to the road ahead this wouldn't happen. At least this is short term pain. I think the final plan is to have less junctions some how... not sure though. 15+ years until they have to do this again.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 5:53 PM

I've been shocked at how badly closing SW Marine between Granville & 49th has messed up Vancouver-Richmond traffic. I would have thought that classes being out at UBC would have made it a non-event. Even stranger is that it seems to be having the worst effect on evening traffic out of Richmond. Reverse commuters?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 6:41 PM

drove by Ikea Richmond off Knight st bridge. Noticed the "new" Ikea exit signs had gone up and covered in black... perhaps imminent opening?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp View Post
drove by Ikea Richmond off Knight st bridge. Noticed the "new" Ikea exit signs had gone up and covered in black... perhaps imminent opening?
Those signs that are covered over in black for the "new" ikea exit when going SB on knight. Have been there for at least a year or two.

Although with the labour dispute over they maybe opening up that exit in the near future.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 7:40 PM

hmmm... I just noticed them... ..

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:04 AM

So here is a question for you all, who decides when to open it? CoR? MoT? I have a gut feeling that they forgot about it with the labour dispute... and neither seems to have any idea about it... both gave conflicting responses on responsibility

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 9:40 PM

Knight St. is Translink's responsibility.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 10:33 PM

The New West - Coquitlam bridges will be open in early 2015:

Quote:
New Bailey bridges set to open early in new year

Theresa McManus / Royal City Record
December 24, 2014 08:36 AM

Construction of the much-anticipated Bailey bridge is a step closer to completion.

One of two new crossings has been completed, but construction of the second bridge was delayed because of complications related to the piles supporting the structure.

“The piles are completed,” project manager Keith Whiteley told The Record Dec. 23. “We finished that this morning.”

Pedestrians and cyclists have been able to travel over the bridge that’s already in place, but it’s off limits to vehicles until the second crossing is complete.

“We are looking at the first week of January to have the bridge contractor in there installing the bridge,” Whiteley said.

As soon as the bridge is complete in January, the City of New Westminster needs to do some road adjustments to accommodate the two lanes that will now connect New Westminster and Coquitlam through the Braid industrial area.

New Westminster and Coquitlam sparred over the fate of the Bailey bridge for much of 2014. The one-lane crossing was closed to vehicle traffic in March 2014 when an engineering inspection deemed it to be structurally unsound. While New Westminster embarked on plans to have a new single-lane structure installed, Coquitlam and the province’s transportation minister pressed for two lanes.

An arbitrator sided with Coquitlam and agreed the area would be best served by a two-lane crossing.
http://www.royalcityrecord.com/news/...year-1.1695609

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 9:20 PM

January 1, 2015 marks the end of AirCare.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22231912/

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The New West - Coquitlam bridges will be open in early 2015:

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/news/...year-1.1695609
Lol wtf. New west wanted a new single lane crossing??? What's wrong with them? That's just them being dicks. A single lane wouldn't have been good for anyone!!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 11:18 PM
See ya down under, mates

The tunnel doesn't really serve New West residents so they were just trying to wall up their little fortress as usual.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 1:00 AM
Vancouver Moderator

At least the new mayor there seems a lot better.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Knight St. is Translink's responsibility.
Wah? i thought only the bridge was Translink's responsibility with the north side (of bridge) responsibility of City of Van and south side (of bridge) City of Richmond...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp View Post
Wah? i thought only the bridge was Translink's responsibility with the north side (of bridge) responsibility of City of Van and south side (of bridge) City of Richmond...
Whoops, I thought being part of the MRN meant it was fully Translink's responsibility. Yes, just the bridge is fully Translink's responsibility. They only provide funding for the operation, maintenance, and rehabilitation of the MRN, but ownership and operation responsibility is in the hands of the respective municipality.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 8:46 PM
loafing in lotusland

If I'm not mistaken, New West is the only municipality that actually owns their roads... which is why they can hold up things so effectively.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:03 PM

Yikes, what a mess on the roads today. Really goes to show that when you are dependent on a limited number of main routes and something major occurs to one of those limited routes, it turns chaotic. And by main routes I mean Hwy 1, 17, any bridge, and the skytrain network.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:30 PM

It took me an hour 34 minutes to ride my scooter this morning from Surrey to Vancouver. Typically 65 minutes. McBride northbound was backed up from Royal all the way to 10th, then 10th Ave to 6th St. I need a freeway capable scooter for days like these. Well I need to get my Class 6 first.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 10:22 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
It took me an hour 34 minutes to ride my scooter this morning from Surrey to Vancouver. Typically 65 minutes. McBride northbound was backed up from Royal all the way to 10th, then 10th Ave to 6th St. I need a freeway capable scooter for days like these. Well I need to get my Class 6 first.
Just get a 250cc or 300cc motorcycle then. They all get about the same mileage, cost the same for insurance, and the motorcycle will be much more fun.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Just get a 250cc or 300cc motorcycle then. They all get about the same mileage, cost the same for insurance, and the motorcycle will be much more fun.
Motorcycles are pretty brutal in traffic, too much shifting. You can get a big scooter though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure