HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 4:13 PM

It's sad to see HealthSouth getting weaker and weaker. The digital hospital showed great promise. I hope another company comes in to complete it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I was hoping for some more info on that...

Seems like a really small price for such a prime piece of real estate.

Anyone know what they plan on doing w/ it?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/06/...us_280_ho.html

HealthSouth sells HQ, U.S. 280 hospital for $60 million
Posted by Birmingham News Staff June 01, 2007 11:32 AM
Categories: Business

HealthSouth said today it has sold its U.S. 280 headquarters for $60 million to a Dallas-based real estate company, erasing the last prominent symbol of its scandal-ridden past under former Chief Executive Richard Scrushy.

The buyer is real-estate developer Trammell Crow Co, whose purchase includes the 200,000-square foot headquarters building, the 85-acre campus and an adjacent 19 acres that includes the so-called "digital hospital" that was never completed after the company and Scrushy were accused in 2003 of a $2.7-billion accounting fraud

HealthSouth has retained Birmingham's Carruthers Real Estate Co. to find a new headquarters in Birmingham. The company, a major employer in the city, also said it might move into a smaller set of offices in the same complex and lease them from Trammell Crow.

The massive corporate campus was envisioned and designed by Scrushy, founder of the chain of rehabilitation hospitals. It included the Richard M.Scrushy Conference Center, a luxurious office tower for top executives with a private elevator and the so-called "Trophy Room" where Scrushy stored memorabilia from his part-time country music career and his frequent brushes with celebrities.

"It is really poorly designed for what we need and far more opulent that what I am comfortable with," HealthSouth CEO Jay Grinney said.

The sale proceeds will go to pay down $4.2 billion of debt, Grinney said. Most of the debt was taken out under Scrushy to pay for expansions federal prosecutors said were really a ruse to hide accounting fraud. Scrushy was found not guilty of fraud and related charges in a 2004 federal criminal trial. He is awaiting sentencing after being convicted of bribing former Gov. Don Siegelman.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:53 PM

This will be nice...

Quote:
Second Culinard set at incubator:

Box lunches from The Bakery at Culinard were served Tuesday to Kiwanis Club of Birmingham members who met at Innovation Depot and then toured the new business incubator.

Innovation Depot President Susan Matlock indicated that Tuesday's lunch doesn't have to be the group's only visit to the business incubator for a bite to eat.

In 60 days, she said, Culinard's second Birmingham-area location will open at the 1500 First Ave. North building.

Sandwiches, pasta, coffees and Italian ice cream are among the menu items Culinard will offer. "It will be open to the public," she said.

Matlock, who told the club about the project to turn the former Sears building into a state-of-the-art incubator, said that Culinard will renovate the space it will occupy. Bidding for the construction is under way.

Culinard's home is at 197 Vulcan Road. Charles R. McCauley -- --

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:58 PM

Volkert suggested for airport project
Noise reduction property may become trails, parks
Thursday, June 07, 2007
CHARLES R. McCAULEY News staff writer

Walking trails, ballfields and commercial or light industrial businesses could be possible uses for more than 450 vacant acres sitting around the Birmingham International Airport, engineering firms said Wednesday.

Those possibilities, as well as including parks as buffers between neighboring residences and the airport, figured in presentations that project teams led by Volkert & Associates and KPS Group made to a Birmingham Airport Authority committee. The teams were vying for the job of preparing a redevelopment plan for property acquired in an ongoing noise reduction and resident relocation project.

The planning and community relations committee voted to recommend Mobile-based Volkert & Associates for the project.

If the full board approves the selection, airport administrators will negotiate a fee with the Volkert team.

Airport spokeswoman Toni Bast said redeveloping the property with nonresidential uses is part of the agreement airport managers have with the Federal Aviation Administration. The FAA is funding 95 percent of the project to buy property either left isolated or exposed to aircraft noise after neighboring houses were bought and demolished for airport expansion. The 11-phase buyout and relocation project is scheduled to end in 2016.

Approval to accept a $15 million grant for Phase 4 and part of Phase 5 - 142 parcels in portions of Airport Highlands and North East Lake - was given last month.

"We have acquired approximately 450 to 500 acres of land from the noise program over a number of years," airport Executive Director Al Denson told the committee. "Now is a good time for us to look at putting this land to some type of use to create some type of economic stimulus."

Money generated from developing the property must go into a fund to finance aviation purposes, he said.

Committee members thought Volkert had a stronger presentation. It had a representative from each company on the team present to talk about their roles. Volkert, in stating why it should get the project, said it has worked with the airport 10 years. It recently completed work on the airport's air cargo apron project and a bridge for airplanes to cross Village Creek.

Jeaniece Allen, a committee member, said she liked the team's plan to seek and include community input, while John Burks favored its responses about mentoring students.

Authority Chairwoman Gaynell Hendricks said she wondered if KPS could handle the redevelopment plan and a $161 terminal modernization project at the same time. Committee Chairman Michael Bell, however, said he thought KPS offers more continuity through its participation in several airport projects.

E-mail: cmccauley@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:30 PM

The proposed 40,000-seat arena idea has been tabled for about a year (maybe actually best since I'm not convinced it's the best solution for the issue). The entertainment district proposal will move forward as planned, however.

Meanwhile, Rep. John Rogers has said that he will move forward with HIS plans for a domed stadium. He maintains that he has lined up about $650-million in private dollars. Rogers says he will show potential investors 3 different sites around Birmingham about two weeks from now: 1) near Fair Park, 2) near the Birmingham International Raceway, and 3) near the former Daniel Payne College in the Hooper City neighborhood.

I don't give Roger's plan too much of a chance, but he's been preaching about having the money lined up for some time. And I say... show me the money, Rep. Rogers.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
The proposed 40,000-seat arena idea has been tabled for about a year (maybe actually best since I'm not convinced it's the best solution for the issue). The entertainment district proposal will move forward as planned, however.

Meanwhile, Rep. John Rogers has said that he will move forward with HIS plans for a domed stadium. He maintains that he has lined up about $650-million in private dollars. Rogers says he will show potential investors 3 different sites around Birmingham about two weeks from now: 1) near Fair Park, 2) near the Birmingham International Raceway, and 3) near the former Daniel Payne College in the Hooper City neighborhood.

I don't give Roger's plan too much of a chance, but he's been preaching about having the money lined up for some time. And I say... show me the money, Rep. Rogers.
3 words: Carol Forge Hatcher.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:20 AM

I dont recall really hearing much about the proposed Theatre District downtown. Apparently the city had hired KPS to do a proposal and here's what they came up with:

http://www.kpsgroup.com/home.htm

> Click on Portfolio

>> Click on Planning + Landscaping

>>> Click on the 5th picture

Looks pretty cool to me. Anyone have any other details on this? Has any funding for this been approved?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:43 AM
You've got it made!

Apparently, the new segment of I-22 was opened today or last night. I drove on it from Cherry Ave. to 78. Extremely smooth! It's funny how the 18 wheelers will still have to travel on the bumpy Hwy 78 for another 5-6 months, while the Walker County portion gets their end surfaced and striped. Makes this new segment much more enjoyable.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfd24 View Post
Apparently, the new segment of I-22 was opened today or last night. I drove on it from Cherry Ave. to 78. Extremely smooth! It's funny how the 18 wheelers will still have to travel on the bumpy Hwy 78 for another 5-6 months, while the Walker County portion gets their end surfaced and striped. Makes this new segment much more enjoyable.
You live out that way? You'll have to keep us updated on how developments out that way progress. I would imagine there will be an explosion of commercial and residential development along I-22... particularly the section inside Jefferson County. I would imagine it's pretty odd driving along that stretch now seeing as how alot of that area is so under-developed.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:33 AM

Quote:
I dont recall really hearing much about the proposed Theatre District downtown. Apparently the city had hired KPS to do a proposal and here's what they came up with:

http://www.kpsgroup.com/home.htm

> Click on Portfolio

>> Click on Planning + Landscaping

>>> Click on the 5th picture

Looks pretty cool to me. Anyone have any other details on this? Has any funding for this been approved?

HAHA! There's the design I remembered!

If you notice on the 'rollover' it seems that district is across the street from the Alabama Theater... and right behind the Lyric...

Is that a Half Life image used for a movie poster? lol... Spidey, Silent Hill, and I can't tell much else. lol.

I remember that plan, though... it's at least a year old :\ Nothing came of it, though.

Plus, the new Entertainment District is around the BJCC, while McLure's district is below 3rd Ave, as opposed to this rendering that shows it above...

:\

I'm just happy to see that design again. Cause I was starting to think I made it up O_o....

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 1:31 PM
Honored Member

I noticed on my way to work this morning that balconies have been installed in the notched corner on the back side of the City Federal Bldg. I've always hated that side of the building because it is so plain and without ornamentation, so these balconies (which are white if I remember correctly) are a very welcome addition. I'll try to get some photos in the near future (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

Last edited by Randy Sandford; Jun 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:15 PM
Honored Member

**NEVERMIND***

They haven't added balconies to the back corner of City Federal. Instead, they've added a fire escape. This morning, I only caught a quick glimpse while driving south on 22nd Street, and from that angle it looked like balconies. This afternoon, I got a better view while driving north on 18th Street and then from 8th Avenue North. Balconies would have looked nice, but this fire escape doesn't look that good, especially since it is painted white and really stands out.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:27 AM

Saw this posted on another of the forums in regards to redevelopment of the Pizitz building. Sounds great... except I'm not sure about the additional floor.

Quote:
I don't know if anyone has reported this or not. Bayer properties is starting to work on plans for the Pizitz Building. The builder is bidding out work for it already. Plans call for two floors to be added to the top. The first 3 stories will be retail, then a couple of floors of office space, then residential occupying the top floors and the two added floors. Plans call for a cafe, also bayer is in talks with Publix about a mid sized urban market in the first floor. I've seen the design and I'm not impressed with the look of the added floors, they are very modern but seems they need some more thought in order to tie it in with the old.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:36 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Saw this posted on another of the forums in regards to redevelopment of the Pizitz building. Sounds great... except I'm not sure about the additional floor.
They have talked about this building for so long.....I just hope they do something.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:16 PM
Trendy.

Heh, I always said that a grocer belonged in the Pzitz.

I'll be in Birmingham tomorrow... yay.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 7:04 PM

I have heard of the design as well--in their defense, it was described as "schematic" with room for development. However, the general direction I thought was good--the new top floors, and the new addition to the side, need to be sleek and very modern, to not detract from the original architecture. This attempt is different from Bayer's first attempt at the building--smarter, more mixed-use, and it really seems to be getting the focus of the company. If anyone locally can get significant retail/grocers here, it's Bayer. I heard they would have pricing back in a couple months and make the decision. This has not been announced yet.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 7:53 AM

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 1:22 PM

I'm glad they seem to be moving forward with this plan. I think the area around the Civil Rights Institute isn't marketed or developed for tourists in the way it should be. This new project will definitely help with the appeal of the Civil Rights District.

Quote:
Gaston Motel site renewal takes step
Thursday, June 14, 2007
JOSEPH D. BRYANT News staff writer

Workers soon will begin cleaning out the old Gaston Motel on Fifth Avenue in preparation for a $40 million redevelopment at the site that includes an upscale hotel, retail, meeting space and lofts.

The City Council this week approved $13,500 for cleaning out debris and possible asbestos at the historic site, a step Mayor Bernard Kincaid called essential before St. Louis developer Michael V. Roberts returns to town.

"Mike Roberts is serious, and before he brings investors and partners in he wants a presentable site," Kincaid said. "There are several environmental issues that have to be addressed."

The contract for cleanup was awarded to Motley Construction Co. of Birmingham, and work will begin immediately, the mayor said.

Roberts last visited Birmingham and toured the 53-year-old shuttered motel several times. Built in 1954 by entrepreneur A.G. Gaston, the Gaston Motel was one of a few overnight accommodations for blacks and became a meeting place for civil rights leaders, including the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth. The city now owns the property.

Roberts is a lawyer whose business holdings include hotels, communication companies, commercial and residential buildings and a shopping center.

The motel property abuts the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. Roberts wants to build a new hotel on the west side of the old motel, along with a commercial building to be used as a conference center.

Renee Kemp-Rotan, the city's director of capital projects, said Roberts will return to Birmingham in a few weeks when Kincaid signs a memorandum of agreement, giving the developer access to the property.

"We have every confidence that the Roberts Company would be able to pull this off," she said.

Kemp-Rotan said the project would have two phases: revamping the old motel building, then constructing a hotel.

The new buildings would be connected to the motel, which will be redeveloped into an interactive museum and complement the Civil Rights Institute.

"The hotel would also provide conference space for the Civil Rights Institute," Kemp-Rotan said.

She said the Gaston is the second project her office has coordinated to turn city-owned property into a tourist destination. The first is the planned Railroad Reservation Park.

"I'm happy to see that the mayor is moving forward in a positive way to bring economic development to this end of town," said Councilman William Bell, whose district includes the civil rights district.

Kincaid said Roberts will present a detailed plan for the site and his proposal for the city's participation within a few months.

"We have a reputable man, a very efficient man, and we were pleased with our walk-through," the mayor said. "This is that step toward satisfying his request."

E-mail: jbryant@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 3:13 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre0link View Post
That would be old because there are no additional floors in those renderings (it's presently an 8-story building).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 9:33 PM

Developer talking to 'Idol' winner about nightspot
Posted by Birmingham News business staff June 15, 2007 1:33 PM
Categories: Business

A Memphis developer said his firm is in talks with former "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard about opening a nightclub in the planned Birmingham entertainment district.

John Elkington, CEO of Performa Entertainment Real Estate, told members of the Birmingham Ad Federation at a luncheon today that he wants the district to feature nightspots indicative of Birmingham's musical history.

"Ruben Studdard would be great for Birmingham's district and we're in talks with him now," Elkington said. "Ona Watson has a great musical legacy in Birmingham. Those are the type of people we want involved."

Elkington said he has signed several tenants and will announce some of them soon. His goal is to break ground on the project this fall, with opening set within 18 months.

The entertainment district is planned for property adjacent to the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex.

Performa is credited with rejuvenating Memphis' Beale Street with venues such as a B.B. King blues club.

For a complete report, see Saturday's Birmingham News

Roy L. Williams

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast