HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:21 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
As long as the sidewalks are wide enough to keep pedestrians safe from the motor vehicles. The shade from the canyon of buildings should be a respite from the summer heat regardless of the time of day. How soon before they turn this into a one way street I wonder...
Why would they convert back to one way?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:05 AM
Meh

2nd Street is always cool in the afternoon. Especially if you're coming down Guadalupe just before you get to 2nd Street. There's a noticeable change in temperature even in the summer. One of the things people say against high rises is the shade issue. But I live in Texas. I'll gladly hug a building if there isn't a tree around to shade a street.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:17 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
How soon before they turn this into a one way street I wonder...
Hopefully never. 2nd St was one of the many Austin streets that was converted to one-way in the name of making it easy(er) to get in and out of DT in a motor vehicle as we looked to drain the city of life each night. A little over a decade ago it went through a diet and went from 3/4 westbound lanes with pathetic sidewalks to one lane each direction with amazing sidewalks and billions have been reinvested in the area since.

I don't foresee us turning our backs on the public realm again and going one-way any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Hopefully never. 2nd St was one of the many Austin streets that was converted to one-way in the name of making it easy(er) to get in and out of DT in a motor vehicle as we looked to drain the city of life each night. A little over a decade ago it went through a diet and went from 3/4 westbound lanes with pathetic sidewalks to one lane each direction with amazing sidewalks and billions have been reinvested in the area since.

I don't foresee us turning our backs on the public realm again and going one-way any time soon.

Watching the change from one way to two way for several streets DT has not only made it safer for pedestrians, I believe it's helped to increase the number of people who are willing to walk rather than use vehicles to get around DT. It's not just the amount of new people coming in, the whole pedestrian experience has improved. One of my most favorite things to do is to go DT and simply walk around and enjoy the sights and the amount of people out and about. Two way roads help control the number of vehicles during peak traffic times, rather than having a mass of cars leaving garages onto multiple 3 or 4 lane one way streets. The slower but controlled process helps to diverge traffic in more directions, when before you were limited to what direction you had to go depending on which street you parked on.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post

Agreed. All you have to do is think about all the one-way streets in downtown, and compare them to the two-way streets. Are any (besides 6th) of the one-way streets good for pedestrians?

2nd street is one of the best pedestrian streets we have downtown, and I'd hate to screw it up by haplessly attempting to make downtown more car-friendly.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Agreed. All you have to do is think about all the one-way streets in downtown, and compare them to the two-way streets. Are any (besides 6th) of the one-way streets good for pedestrians?

2nd street is one of the best pedestrian streets we have downtown, and I'd hate to screw it up by haplessly attempting to make downtown more car-friendly.
Yeah, no one wants more one-ways.

Two way streets with traffic calming like frequent crosswalks and bike lanes and planters, please.

2nd and 3rd street are the best parts of downtown to actually visit because of this.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:29 AM
Meh

They did a crane jump on Austin Proper yesterday. You can see them raising it on the Independent construction cam between 4:30 pm and 7 pm.

I would think they'd be raising the crane for the Independent today or at least sometime this week.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:13 PM

The revamped Austin Proper site is accessible now (They've yet to publish it, but it's already indexable by Google). There are some new renderings of the common areas that look really nice:

https://www.properhotel.com/residenc...ery/amenities/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
The revamped Austin Proper site is accessible now (They've yet to publish it, but it's already indexable by Google). There are some new renderings of the common areas that look really nice:

https://www.properhotel.com/residenc...ery/amenities/
Wow. This kinda blows any other Austin (or Texas) building out of the water with amenities and design. Totally beautiful.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:20 AM
World Traveler

^ I agree, this is going to be very nice.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They did a crane jump on Austin Proper yesterday. You can see them raising it on the Independent construction cam between 4:30 pm and 7 pm.

I would think they'd be raising the crane for the Independent today or at least sometime this week.

Rumor on the streets is The Independent had plans to jump earlier this week but one of the crane jumpers dropped a large piece of equipment off the top of the crane. It blew threw their safety nets and crashed in between the building and shoal creek. Luckily only property damaged could have been a lot worse and possibly fatal. The crane was out of commission for a day and their safety nets could be seen flapping in the wind until they fixed them.

Last edited by Austin_ez_wider; Jan 26, 2018 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:42 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ez_wider View Post
Rumor on the streets is The Independent had plans to jump earlier this week but one of the crane jumpers dropped a large piece of equipment off the top of the crane. It blew threw their safety nets and crashed in between the building and shoal creek. Luckily only property damaged could have been a lot worse and possibly fatal. The crane was out of commission for a day and their safety nets could be seen flapping in the wind until they fixed them.
Huh. I just checked the construction cam, and they raised the crane by maybe one section. Watch the camera between 2:30 pm and 4:30.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Huh. I just checked the construction cam, and they raised the crane by maybe one section. Watch the camera between 2:30 pm and 4:30.

The link you provided clocks out on January 3rd, and unless they change the angle you won't see it because the incident occured on the north side of the jobsite. I believe the incident occurred on Monday on the Independents crane, somebody onsite had sent me pictures. Seemed very dangerous and fortunately it only landed near the creek and not in the street or on a neighboring building.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ez_wider View Post
The link you provided clocks out on January 3rd, and unless they change the angle you won't see it because the incident occured on the north side of the jobsite. I believe the incident occurred on Monday on the Independents crane, somebody onsite had sent me pictures. Seemed very dangerous and fortunately it only landed near the creek and not in the street or on a neighboring building.
Click on the "Skyline" tab in that link. That is the webcam Kevin is referring to. It looks like they are raising the crane today.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:37 PM
Meh

1/31

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:33 AM

Today

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:06 PM
Meh

They're on the 23rd floor - 246 feet - 4 inches.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:31 PM

Proper Hospitality just posted their first job opening for Austin (for GM of the hotel). Opening is still pegged for 1Q of 2019 and general size of the property is still 244 keys with 2 pools, a spa and "wellness center" and 3 F&B outlets. No mention of meeting space -- so this will be pretty exclusively for business and high end leisure travel.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/574691395/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:12 AM

Picture from this morning, 3/8/18:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 4:44 PM

Oh my god that looks snazzy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin