HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Oh my god that looks snazzy!
ITs really sexy in person.!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 10:33 PM
Meh

Yeah, I really like that so far. So with those 5 floors having those window designs, that's going to be a neat feature that contrasts pretty significantly with the other windows.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:49 AM

Today.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I noticed the other day looking at the building from 2nd + San Antonio that there's a subtle variation in the beveling of the windows on the south face between the various floors that creates an optical pattern when viewed from the side. You can kinda see it in this photo... thought it was a nice touch.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:59 PM

Let's be honest - Austin is a city of decent, but second-rate architecture - especially with our larger buildings. There's almost always the problem of disguising parking levels. Frequently buildings have issues with proportions and boxiness - Frost missed the mark by being several hundred feet too short. Facade treatments are either generic, clumsy, cheap, tacky, or some combination of these. In my estimate, we don't have a single fully-realized building of significant height.

But this building looks like it's hitting a lot of the right marks. Maybe we're turning a corner here???

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post
Let's be honest - Austin is a city of decent, but second-rate architecture - especially with our larger buildings. There's almost always the problem of disguising parking levels. Frequently buildings have issues with proportions and boxiness - Frost missed the mark by being several hundred feet too short. Facade treatments are either generic, clumsy, cheap, tacky, or some combination of these. In my estimate, we don't have a single fully-realized building of significant height.

But this building looks like it's hitting a lot of the right marks. Maybe we're turning a corner here???
This one and NorthShore are the sexiest buildings to have gone up since Frost in my opinion. Everything else is glass box generic bore.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
This one and NorthShore are the sexiest buildings to have gone up since Frost in my opinion. Everything else is glass box generic bore.
I agree for the most part but I do like the look of the JW and upcoming ZaZa. And even for being a glass box in a sense the Independant is striking! But by far the most intriguing structure upcoming is the Proper.

I don’t know if this has been linked yet, but here are the floor plans for the Proper: https://www.properhotel.com/residenc...s/floor-plans/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post

I couldn't agree more

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I agree for the most part but I do like the look of the JW and upcoming ZaZa. And even for being a glass box in a sense the Independant is striking! But by far the most intriguing structure upcoming is the Proper.

I don’t know if this has been linked yet, but here are the floor plans for the Proper: https://www.properhotel.com/residenc...s/floor-plans/
I agree. I think the JW is great, even with an entire 1.5 sides of the building being basically desolate at street level. The congress-facing side is so good that it makes up for it. And the structure of the building was pretty nice before the Fairmont went on and did the exact same thing.

Zaza I think will be great as well. Hopefully this means we'll start having a downtown which is actually comfortable to live and work in, not somewhere to drive in and out of.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:20 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:41 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

What a shame. Such a beautiful tower having to sit so close to that POS (Third & Shoal).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:20 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
What a shame. Such a beautiful tower having to sit so close to that POS (Third & Shoal).
Yea that lower garage section is unacceptable. I really hope it's covered over with glass but you would think they would have started doing that by now. If there is no change in another 3 months then what we see is what we will get. I am pretty sure they added glass on the north side facing 4th, though I only drove by once and glanced at it so hopefully I wasn't mistaken. I'm going DT tonight so I'll try to walk by to double check.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure those pallets of glass panels in the garage of Third and Shoal we saw photos of last month are just to fill in the gaps on the East side once the construction elevator comes down.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I'm pretty sure those pallets of glass panels in the garage of Third and Shoal we saw photos of last month are just to fill in the gaps on the East side once the construction elevator comes down.

That would be a huge bummer.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:26 PM

Ugh....any plans for them to raze third & shoal??

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
like button

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
I wish. Worst of all, it blocks the view of the Frost tower from Lou Neff Point/Zilker Park.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
That would be a huge bummer.
Indeed, hopefully this isn’t true. Although I have a feeling he’s right.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:45 PM

In person, Third and Shoal really looks great from the north-east. The glass is a really gorgeous color, probably my favorite in Austin now. From the south, I like how the glass lines narrow as they disappear behind the Proper's angled balconies -- it's a cool effect.

But yeah they really dropped the ball on that parking podium. Even covering half in glass like the renderings would have saved it for me.

Oh, and I think Proper's turning out to easily be one of our best buildings. Not as iconic as Frost or as prominent as the Austonian or Indy, but perhaps the best attention to detail of any of them. And there's an embrace of funky futurism that reminds me of a lot of what's being built in Melbourne.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:17 PM

I'm almsot certain those metal panels are going to be the final product. I just don't see why they would waste so much money putting those up in the first place if they're eventually going to come down and replace with glass.

Huge huge huge disappointment. The garage would honestly look better with no disguise at all rather than this fugly blank wall. Huge blemish in this otherwise beautiful area. I hope it gets replaced quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin