HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Delta to resume SLC-Tokyo non-stop service

The Associated Press

Delta Air Lines Inc. says it will resume nonstop service between Salt Lake City and Tokyo next summer.

Delta dropped the flights Oct. 1 after a few months, citing diminished demand and fallout from the swine flu.

Delta says it will resume the Tokyo flights five times a week next summer.

The plan was part of Delta's announcement Tuesday of sweeping changes for its international routes, flights and plane types.

The world's biggest airline operator says new and expanded nonstop routes will be focused on trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic and Africa flights.

Delta's acquisition last year of Northwest Airlines gave it more ability to shift larger planes onto more profitable routes and use smaller planes on less profitable routes.

Great news. Next flight we will see from SLC (international anyway) will be Amsterdam. Count on it. I would love to see some South American flights, but I don't that happens.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 7:03 PM

Shakman:

Quote:
I went to Delta's website to read their announcement. I was a bit disappointed to read that Delta will maintain Detroit as its Asian Gateway rather than SLC. However I recently read an article on ksl.com that business relations between China and Utah are very positive. Perhaps this could equate to flights to China in the near future.
I would not count on SLC getting direct service to China. The aviation market between the US-China is still fairly restrictive and new routes have to be approved by the U.S Department of Transportation. According to an article in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010900719.html) a few years ago after United won approval for a new route from Dulles to Beijing, the Post noted that there are only 11 daily nonstop flights between the two countries. When United won the route for service from DC-Beijing a few years ago, it beat out Dallas, Detroit and Newark. These are all much bigger hubs than SLC.

If business relations are good between Utah and China, much of this certainly results from the fact that former Utah Governor, John Huntsman, is now the US Ambassador to China.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 7:06 PM

Delta to fly new routes to Asia (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Good news for DTW here.

Delta to fly new routes to Asia

Yamanouchi, Kelly
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
October 21, 2009

Delta Air Lines announced several new routes to Beijing and other cities in
Asia next summer, but none of the routes originate from Delta's Atlanta hub.

Atlanta-based Delta said it will begin flying from Seattle to Beijing and
Osaka, Japan, and from Detroit to Hong Kong and Seoul, South Korea, as of next
June. It will also expand its Detroit-Shanghai, China, route to seven times a
week. The moves come after Delta discontinued its routes from Atlanta to
Shanghai and Seoul this year.

Delta announced one new Atlanta route --- to Accra, Ghana --- effective June
1. The carrier is still awaiting government approvals for routes to Malabo,
Equatorial Guinea; Monrovia, Liberia; Nairobi, Kenya; and Luanda, Angola.

Detroit, a hub acquired through Delta's merger with Northwest Airlines, has
what Delta calls a "strategic geographic position" for East Coast travelers
connecting to Asia flights.

The 2010 changes are part of Delta's first fully combined schedule after the
Northwest merger, which closed last year. The carrier said it will gain more
fleet flexibility after getting a single operating certificate from the Federal
Aviation Administration, expected later this year.

Delta said its flight additions will be focused in the trans-Pacific,
trans-Atlantic and Africa regions, and will also reflect benefits of its joint
venture with Air France-KLM and alliance with Seattle-based Alaska Air Group.

At the same time, Delta is maintaining international route reductions
announced in June in response to "decreased global demand," including changes at
its Tokyo-Narita hub acquired through the Northwest merger. Delta cut its
international capacity by 15 percent this year.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 5:07 PM
BANNED

I think it would be smart of Delta to build Seattle International into a hub; with the already existing routes and with these new routes:

Seattle non-stop flights (* = my proposals):

Atlanta
Salt Lake City
New York-JFK
Cincinnati (porbably will be gone within 2 years)
Memphis (probably will be gone in 3 years)
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Detroit
Amsterdam
Osaka
Tokyo
Beijing
Honolulu
Kahului
London-Heathrow*
Hong Kong*
Los Angeles*
Taipei*
Moscow*
Shanghai*
Las Vegas*
Cancun*
San Francisco*

They already have Paris, Seoul, Mexico City served to SEA through Korean Air, Air France, AeroMexico, which all share with Delta and Alaska Air up there in SEA... just a thought.

Boston*

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 5:37 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bro View Post
I think it would be smart of Delta to build Seattle International into a hub; with the already existing routes and with these new routes:

Seattle non-stop flights (* = my proposals):

Atlanta
Salt Lake City
New York-JFK
Cincinnati (porbably will be gone within 2 years)
Memphis (probably will be gone in 3 years)
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Detroit
Amsterdam
Osaka
Tokyo
Beijing
Honolulu
Kahului
London-Heathrow*
Hong Kong*
Los Angeles*
Taipei*
Moscow*
Shanghai*
Las Vegas*
Cancun*
San Francisco*

They already have Paris, Seoul, Mexico City served to SEA through Korean Air, Air France, AeroMexico, which all share with Delta and Alaska Air up there in SEA... just a thought.

Boston*
SEA-London Heathrow by DL/NW was already tried and it didn't work. There would be no reason to start San Francisco, Boston, Las Vegas, Cancun, or Los Angeles as Alaska, one of their most important codesharing partners, serves those markets extensively from Seattle already. Delta already gets the feed from them, so there's no reason for DL to compete. Also, I'm not convinced that Memphis is going to be experiencing a lot of shrinking in 3 years. Some, yes perhaps, but not enough shrinking that would warrant a cancellation of their current MEM-SEA flight(s). Cincinnati remains a question mark.

I'd say it's also likely that DL will cancel SEA-HNL/OGG in the near future as AS rapidly expands their Hawaii service.

Hong Kong, Taipei, and maybe Shanghai are far more likely.

My 2cents

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 6:09 PM
BANNED

We'll they should at least add service to Boston right now and Hong Kong and Shanghai in the near future. Adding Las Vegas from Seattle on Delta's own metal would make a lot of sense. A lot of Asians travel to Vegas and they usually have to go through SFO or LAX. Routing them via Seattle would be much easier, faster and not as crazy.

Delta/Northwest needs to drop the San Francisco-Tokyo flight and also the Portland-Tokyo flight. These two flights are hurting the SLC-Tokyo flight. SFO is United territory and there really is no need of a Tokyo flight. If Delta dropped Portland-Amsterdam and Portland-Tokyo, I think this would help SLC-Paris and Tokyo. SLC's Paris flight is doing great but the Tokyo flight is a risk and I honestly think there is no need for it, especially when Delta is now building up its Asian service through Seattle.

Delta should focus its international servie on the following cities:

Asia: Detroit, Seattle. With a few flights to Atlanta
Latin America: Atlanta
Europe: Atlanta, New York-JFK, and a few flights to Detroit and Salt Lake.

Delta should downsize Minneapolis a lot to what SLC's hub is now, drop Cincinnati ASAP, Memphis should get the axe too I think, maybe in a few years. So in other words, have Atlanta, Detroit as the major int'l and domestic hubs, Minneapolis and Salt Lake as just domestic hubs, but with a few int'l flights here and there for both. Delta should aslso dump Amsterdam and route everything through Paris to connect with Air France. Delta should keep LAX where it is now with trans-con flights, hubs-to-LAX, and a few int'l flights here and there (Sydney, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Cancun, etc).

Delta hubs should be (from largest to smallest):
Atlanta
Detroit
New York-JFK
Minneapolis
Salt Lake City
Paris-CDG (but mostly rely on Air France for all the connecting traffic)
Seattle (just as an Asian hub; but rely on Alaska Air for conncecting traffic similar to Air France in Paris)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:19 PM

Asian routes are the prize in Delta-American fight over JAL

By Harry R. Weber
Associated Press

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-over-JAL.html

Japan Airlines isn't the real prize in the fight between Delta Air Lines and American Airlines over who gets to partner with the troubled carrier.

The U.S. carriers are after JAL's Asian routes and the premium passengers that come with them.

The winner gets a bigger revenue stream, more power to help shape overseas customer options and ticket prices and the potential to one day fly its own aircraft and passengers on JAL's routes...

Japan Airlines President Haruka Nishimatsu bows in Tokyo Tuesday shortly after the carrier filed for bankruptcy. (Itsuo Inouye, Associated Press)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 10:18 PM

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...page51224.aspx

BOI Receives "Airport of the Year" Award

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has selected Boise, Idaho and spoke airports (Sun Valley, Twin Falls, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and Lewiston) as the 2009 TSA "Airport of the Year". This award recognizes exceptional internal as well as external customer service. TSA Operations representative from Idaho received the annual award at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. on November 18th in recognition of the outstanding work performed by Idaho TSA employees in 2009 including:

Airport screening and security assistance during the 2009
Special Olympics World Winter Games February 2009
Positive customer service feedback
TSA Idaho Advisory Council named as the "Best Employee Advisory Council in the Northwest"
Maintaining the highest levels of security
TSA staff in Idaho would like to thank those partners who play such a key role and share in this success:

The City of Boise, The Boise Airport, and the Boise Police Department who provide us a world class airport environment in which to operate
The Airlines who transport almost 1.5 million passengers every year from Boise
Our other law enforcement, state, federal and DHS partner agencies

The criteria for this award includes demonstrating exceptional internal as well as external customer service, seamless execution of exemplary customer service while maintaining the highest level of airport security, and an established a record of customer confidence and satisfaction through its proactive and vigilant efforts to protect and serve the public.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West