HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:12 PM
Community Guy

25ha = 270,000sqft

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:15 PM

According to Wikipedia, "It encompasses approximately 144 acres (58 ha) of land just north of the Edmonton city centre".

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
25ha = 270,000sqft
I think you missed a number Cold

25 ha = 2,690,967 sq ft or 61.8 acres

Regards

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:22 PM
Community Guy

^haha...that i did.
thanks

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 5:04 AM

If this actually happens, could somebody build one of these? Puh-leeeez???

From Encyclopædia Britannica Online[/QUOTE]

What? An impressive skyline? Sorry Edmonton. Aint no Expo gonna get that done for ya.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 8:05 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Not unless they close that fucking airport. Period.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 4:09 PM

Here comes Neil, huffing and puffing...

A fairly dopey concept

By NEIL WAUGH

They say timing is everything in politics.

And if that's true then Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel needs a new watch.Because his decision to disappear to Zaragoza, Spain -- without a peep from the city hall PR machine -- couldn't come at a worse time.

Especially when the purpose of his jolly junket to sunny Arragon was to kick tires for a World's Fair bid for the city in 2017.

A message on the Zaragoza Fair website pretty well says it all about where these extravaganzas now rate with folks, who see more than enough goofy architecture in their own cities without travelling halfway around the world.

Yes, the blurb pronounced, they do still have world's fairs.

But it also revealed that there are a few grassroots efforts to again host a world's fair. One of those grassroots singled out is the City of Edmonton.

'Hayseeds' would be a better way to describe Edmonton city council after taxpayers got hit with another triple whammy last week.

The first came in a consultant's report that claimed property taxpayers will face 4% tax increases for the next decade to repair crumbling neighbourhood roads and sidewalks.

The next was the result of a probe by city auditor David Wiun of why the price tag of the 23 Avenue interchange shot up from $73 to $261 million.Not only were the materials costs wildly underestimated, project planning was largely left in the hands of a junior employee who the report describes as relatively new to the engineering field.

Unbelievable.

If there really is a credible professional engineering organization in this province, they have no choice but to be all over this blunder, especially when Mandel is in Spain pondering the risks and benefits of a fair, which would last only a few months, but likely cost billions to build in Alberta's super-heated economy.

Then it was revealed that the city administration is now $12.6 million over budget and spending cuts are coming.

This is not exactly the magic moment to start talking about frills like a fair.

Making matters worse, Mandel and his committee haven't come clean about where the fair will go.

The only piece of city real estate that appears big enough are the controversial city centre airport lands -- while the mayor still hasn't revealed how he intends to build a new hockey arena for Oilers owner Daryl Katz and not raise taxes.

Except maybe he now has. The presence of two Alberta PC MLAs on the mayor's airplane further adds to the suspicion of a done deal, especially when Edmonton-Castledowns Tory Thomas Lukaszuk gushed: "The impact of a world's fair in Edmonton would be of huge significance."

It would also present taxpayers from all levels of government with a huge bill. And there's only one taxpayer.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Comment/C...62166-sun.html

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 6:30 PM
Change is good

Can we trade Null Void to the Calgary Sun for a few sticks and stones?

(sticks and stones to arrive first before Null's departure...)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 7:22 PM

Stolen from Norm Macdonald's tribute to Bob Saget:

Neil, you have a lot of well-wishers. They wish they could throw you down a well. Hey-yo!.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 6:07 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Expo 2017 bid should go forward: report
Next step would be for Edmonton to spend $2.3 million on detailed business case

Gordon Kent
edmontonjournal.com

Thursday, October 23, 2008

EDMONTON - Edmonton should move ahead with a proposal to host Expo 2017 by spending $2.3 million next year to develop a detailed business case and national bid for the project, a city report recommends.

The money, which needs to be matched by the provincial government, would be the first big step toward winning a world event that would now cost about $1.6 billion to $3 billion to stage, says the report released today.

Although the conceptual study doesn't suggest locations, it says an officially recognized Expo site can't be larger than 25 hectares, far smaller than the 216-hectare City Centre Airport, although an extra 50 hectare to 75 hectare support area would also be needed.

The show would likely include pavilions, cultural venues, parks and internal transportation.

The expected attendance for a three-month summer event, which would be an opportunity to mark Canada's 150th birthday, is 4.7 million visits, creating an estimated Alberta economic impact of $1.8 billion to $2.6 billion.

"There is a need for a theme, a site and a plan to leverage Expo from a three-month opportunity into a lasting legacy that permanently contributes to Alberta's capital city," the report says.

It will take about one year to developed the detailed business case for a national bid, which faces possible competition from other cities such as Montreal, Hamilton and Ottawa.

The issue will be discussed next Wednesday by city council.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

© Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...7-8cc6e140b6e3

----------------------------------------------------

What would be a good theme for the Edmonton Expo? Let's hear some ideas!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 6:47 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

What would be a good theme for the Edmonton Expo? Let's hear some ideas!
World Wide Weldin' Expo???

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 7:14 PM
Community Guy

'It's Cooler here'

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 9:23 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'It's Cooler here'
"It's cooler here; bugger off Winnipeg."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 3:32 AM

How about:

Edmonton World Fair - "Where in the world is Edmonton?"

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:28 AM

Edmonton: We're Not Just Another Suburb North Of Airdrie

Edmonton: Refinery Row Revolution

Edmonton: The Mother Of All River Valleys

Edmonton: Groat Road - The 8th Wonder of the World

Edmonton: The Downtown That Looks Like A Mesa (from a distance)

Edmonton: Home of the Royal Nisku Institute for Advanced Pipefitting Studies

Edmonton: Where the Yellow Head Drowns in the White Mud

Edmonton: Home of The Grandest Scientific Experiment since the Hadron Collider: Sherwood Park

Etc.

But seriously folks, interesting link to Wiki re: World's Fairs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_fair

Last edited by Shodan; Oct 24, 2008 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:33 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
"It's cooler here; bugger off Winnipeg."
You mean, bugger of Calgary. Winnipeg is way cooler

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:36 AM

For their World Fairs:

Paris has the Eiffel Tower

Seattle has the Space Needle

We should have.......a Giant Baseball Bat......

Oh, we already have one......my mistake....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 12:26 PM

City gears up for Expo Bid
World's fair could lure a million, but cost billions

Gordon Kent
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, October 24, 2008

EDMONTON - Edmonton is moving ahead with the biggest event in the city's history after a committee recommended Thursday putting together detailed information for a bid to host Expo 2017.

Staging the world's fair would cost an estimated $1.6 billion to $2.3 billion, draw more than one million tourists to the city and could require up to 40,000 volunteers, but Coun. Karen Leibovici said Edmonton has the capacity to pull it off.

"Some of you may be thinking this might not be the best time, given the budget ... but while it's the role of council to ensure we consider the needs of the day, we also know that we need to look ahead and plan and dream for the future," she told a news conference.

"At the core of all of that is the belief that we're a truly great city, and this will help galvanize us toward that vision."

International rules restrict such fairs to a 25-hectare site, but another 50 to 75 hectares would be needed for outside support services, according to a report supported by a 40-member committee of business and community leaders.

They concluded Edmonton is better positioned to try for a smaller "recognized" Expo rather than the larger "registered" event scheduled for 2020.

While potential sites weren't discussed, it says the ideal location "should offer picturesque, attractive and complimentary views of the host city ... the availability and proximity of green space, water features and other natural elements should be considered."

The 90-day summer event, an opportunity to mark Canada's 150th birthday, would have an expected attendance of 4.7 million.

It would feature pavilions showcasing other nations, non-governmental organizations and corporations, as well as a variety of arts and cultural performances, all following such possible themes as human environmental impact, human movement, the Arctic or global migration.

"There is a need for a theme, a site and a plan to leverage Expo from a three-month opportunity into a lasting legacy that permanently contributes to Alberta's capital city," the report says.

Most of the new roads, transit, housing and other improvements required for the fair would already be part of Edmonton's long-term plans, but built much sooner than expected, city manager Al Maurer said.

That will require support from other levels of government before deciding to go ahead, he said.

"If the lion's share (of the funding) is the City of Edmonton, you probably know what the answer is now. We do need other partners."

The next step is a $4.5-million study outlining the costs, theme, site, economic impact and other details needed so Edmonton can become the Canadian nominee for the fair over such possible rivals as Montreal, Ottawa and Hamilton.

The proposal, which will be discussed by city council next Wednesday, suggests splitting the expense with the provincial government.

The total cost if Edmonton reaches international bidding is estimated at $22.5 million. A final decision on the host city is expected in 2012.

Candice Stasynec, an executive director in Maurer's office, visited this year's $3.3-billion Expo in Zaragoza, Spain, along with Mayor Stephen Mandel and other city officials.

The Spanish organizers used 40,000 volunteers, many of them students, she said. By comparison, Edmonton's 10-day World Master's Games in 2005 needed 5,000 volunteers.

"This would be our biggest undertaking to date. They have been feasible in the past. This would stretch us a bit."

Edmonton has already been chosen as the Canadian bidder for the 2015 Summer World University Games. While Stasynec said financing and staging the two events would be "challenging," she thinks the city could do it.

Mandel said hosting an Expo would be a way to market Edmonton around the world.

"I think we have a heck of a chance. It hasn't been to Canada in a lot of years ... it's Canada's 150th birthday," he said.

"It's a great opportunity for the city. We have to seize the moment for things that are 10 years away."

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...0031e&sponsor=

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 1:15 PM

Make it so, E-town!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 5:01 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
You mean, bugger of Calgary. Winnipeg is way cooler
I said what I meant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton