HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 11:40 PM

I don't know about the top setback, but the one below looks curved. It looks as if the curved setbacks are going to go all the way up one side of the building.

I also suspect the grill thing is to cover the mechanical floors.

Last edited by Onn; May 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 11:57 PM

well its seems that i passed judgement too early,i actually love the towers crown. from the first render i thought it was a flat rooftop,which frustrated me. still not as amazing as i was expecting but not bad at all.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I don't know about the top setback, but the one below it looks curved. Its looks as if the curved setbacks are going to go all the way up one side of the building.

The on I think you're referring to looks as if it'll have the sort of rounded angle setbacks as shown in the initial render. It might be that that side will have those kind of setbacks, while the grid-side will display the subtle curves towards the tops of the setbacks there.
Notice, for instance, in the newer augmented render a small shadow at the lower setback. Subtle curve there. Measure the top of the building against a vertical edge and you'll see another at the top where the grid is.

BTW, do not underestimate the fact that the E/W facades are totally different. The panels almost appear jigsaw-like.

I'd like to think that the more we study the intricacies of the magnified renders, the sooner more folks here just might take this thing to heart.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I don't know about the top setback, but the one below looks curved. It looks as if the curved setbacks are going to go all the way up one side of the building.

The top setback is definitely curved. The guy who saw the blueprints even stated that it's a semicircle.

Anyway, the waves at the base seen to be a motif representing the curves at all of the setbacks on the tower.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:08 AM

I think it might end up looking great when looking from the east with a slanted top (like Queens).

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
The on I think you're referring to looks as if it'll have the sort of rounded angle setbacks as shown in the initial render. It might be that that side will have those kind of setbacks, while the grid-side will display the subtle curves towards the tops of the setbacks there.
Notice, for instance, in the newer augmented render a small shadow at the lower setback. Subtle curve there. Measure the top of the building against a vertical edge and you'll see another at the top where the grid is.

BTW, do not underestimate the fact that the E/W facades are totally different. The panels almost appear jigsaw-like.

I'd like to think that the more we study the intricacies of the magnified renders, the sooner more folks here just might take this thing to heart.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Very interesting. I suspect you're right there.

Well this is definitely growing on me already. It's not normal but what work of art is?

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:36 AM
Brooklyn, New York

Finally! I Love it!

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:55 AM

If the cladding is good it will look stunning. I'm gonna nickname this one Big Blue.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
If the cladding is good it will look stunning. I'm gonna nickname this one Big Blue.
Given the east/west view and a sunset silhouette, I'm tempted to call it the Abstract Fence Picket.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:14 AM
World Machine

After looking at it a few more times, I’m surprised that this will be a residential building. It looks the par, in terms of size, of an office building. Perhaps it’s the angles of those renders, but this looks like it will be a big building.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:19 AM

^
It's a huge building; I think 1.5 or 1.6 million square feet of space.

And it's really a mixed-use building rather than residential. It will contain hotel, office, and residential space.

I like it, but I need to see more. I trust the architect and think we'll get something special.

Also, the other Barnett-owned site on 57th has even more air rights, so will likely be even taller. So that's two 1,000+ towers on 57th.

Then there's the 700+ foot tower at 57th & 2nd, the 57th & Park tower site (with huge air rights) and there's a major development site on 57th between 5th and 6th.

So if we're very lucky, we could have 3 or even 4 1,000+ towers on 57th.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
After looking at it a few more times, I’m surprised that this will be a residential building. It looks the par, in terms of size, of an office building. Perhaps it’s the angles of those renders, but this looks like it will be a big building.
That's what I thought from the very first rendering. Also, its surprisingly similar to the Tower Verre from the park...

Both towers will have a different profile from the east or west. Extell is also planning another large tower a block away, possibly taller.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:48 AM
DENNAB

Sweet!

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:56 AM

does its taller brother have a thread?

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:17 AM

If both are built, Central Park South skyline will be

Just don't let Community Board 5 see these renders. They'll cry that the monstrous tower will forever block the sun from all of Central Park, The Bronx and Yonkers.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
does its taller brother have a thread?
No one knows that it will be taller, it's not in proposal status yet.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:21 AM
Time/Space

Awesome! Also I bet that grilled crown will be all lit up at night!

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 3:20 AM
Have no regrets

This tower has definitely won me over. Sure it's not as amazing as it was hyped up to be but it's not exactly bad either. If it weren't so hyped up to be "New York's next best thing" everyone(most) would be loving it too, I'm sure. I'm curious to see what it's lighting scheme would be like at night. Why can't they also have night renders when they release these things?

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 3:41 AM
BANNED

I think that this tower is amazing. It's four connected "towers" each with a sloping, curved crown.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 4:36 AM

I think it's great! I think it will grow on people even more when it starts rising. As we've all noted, the renderings aren't very telling for this one. And the best part of all is that they are actually building it!! This is the first 1,000 footer to roof built in New York (outside of the World Trade Center) since the Empire State building! That's big news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive