HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Please tell me you didn't say sales tax.

The problem with a sales tax is that most of us don't trust politicians. I'd fight tooth and nail against any form of a sales tax. There are parts of the country where the sales tax exceeds 10%! Regardless of how low an initial sales tax would be, if one were created here, it would become permanent and it would climb. It would climb because our politicians are spineless and gutless. They lack the courage to cut or even balance budgets but they sure do know how to increase budgets, often with money they don't have. Give a politician a buck and he'll find a way to spend it five times and then he'd try to raise taxes to pay off the $4 debt.

Then again, most Americans have thousands of dollars in credit card debt which shows they don't understand basic math either.
Oh believe me, I have no preset opinion on what sort of funding source would be ideal. But simply that I wish that we could have a discussion (not we as in us on this forum, but we as Portlanders) about where we want to go with transit long term, identify those sources of funding now and get it built (again, while its still a relative bargain...at least in terms of costs are only going up). Similar in respects to what LA and Denver are doing.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 9:09 AM

Here in Portland, we actually try to USE old rail right-of-ways as bike and walking paths or to accommodate new transit. In my hometown of Montgomery, AL, they took a decommissioned freight rail line right-of-way and built a super-Wal-Mart, CVS and Applebee's right over it, nullifying its potential as a commuter or recreation tool.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&ie=U...,0.011866&z=17

So while the political battles over transit here in Portland may be somewhat frustrating, take time, in this holiday season, to give thanks to ALMIGHTY CHRIST that you don't live in Montgomery, AL.

Amen.

Last edited by philopdx; Dec 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 10:13 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
Here in Portland, we actually try to USE old rail right-of-ways as bike and walking paths or to accommodate new transit. In my hometown of Montgomery, AL, they took a decommissioned freight rail line right-of-way and built a super-Wal-Mart, CVS and Applebee's right over it, nullifying its potential as a commuter or recreation tool.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&ie=U...,0.011866&z=17

So while the political battles over transit here in Portland may be somewhat frustrating, take time, in this holiday season, to give thanks to ALMIGHTY CHRIST that you don't live in Montgomery, AL.

Amen.
That's funny because that is the same thing I do when I look back to where I grew up where they are just starting to build a starter line in one city, while the surrounding cities are still leery about expanding it into their cities. Also for the fact that Portland didn't level over 80% of its downtown in the mid 50s-60s.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
Honestly, I wish there was some sort of endgame plan for MAX where we could just plan all of the lines that will be needed for the next 50 years, then do some sort of tax levy to fund them all at once (sales tax, or something like that). That way, although it would initially be expensive, eventually it would seem like a huge bargain.
Metro's High Capacity Transit System Plan has identified which corridors to prioritize for investment and those are probably the closest thing to what you're thinking about. The plan doesn't include a clear funding strategy though..

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:00 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Heard from Bikeportland that the FTA granted Metro $2 million to study transit between Sherwood and Portland, aka Barbur MAX.

http://bikeportland.org/2010/12/21/m...bur-blvd-44882

http://www.fta.dot.gov/news/news_events_12233.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 7:01 PM

Portland-Milwaukie bridge to break ground July 1
POSTED: Friday, January 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM PT
Daily Journal of Commerce
BY: Sue Vorenberg

Construction for the planned Portland-to-Milwaukie light-rail bridge begins July 1, according to a press release from transit agency Trimet. The light-rail line is expected to open in September 2015.

Northwest Geotech Inc. will begin its geotechnical exploration of land around the bridge next week in an effort to gather data for the design of the bridge’s foundation.

The company will drill in the area around the south end of the Eastbank Esplanade to look at subsurface and seismic conditions in the area where the foundation of the new bridge will go, said Tom Ginsback of Northwest Geotech. The company is still waiting for permits to begin drilling, he said.

Part of the esplanade will be shut down to bicyclists during the work period, expected to last from Feb. 2 to Feb. 11, but pedestrians will still be able to use the area.

A map of the detour is available on TriMet’s website (PDF), and signs will be posted in the area.

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/01/28...ation-studied/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:42 AM

President Obama wants $200 million for Portland-Milwaukie MAX as TriMet scratches for local funds
Published: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 1:30 PM Updated: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 5:16 PM
Joseph Rose, The Oregonian

President Barack Obama’s budget calls for $200 million in federal funding to go toward the proposed Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail line.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced the administration’s funding recommendations Tuesday for 10 new transit construction projects around the country, including the newest MAX line.

President Obama’s budget proposal includes a record $3.2 billion in funding for 28 transit construction projects across the U.S. that LaHood says will increase mobility, reduce energy consumption, curb air pollution, and help the nation compete economically.

The president, LaHood said, wants $200 million in the next fiscal year to go toward a full-funding grant for the so-called Orange Line extending 7.3 miles from downtown Portland to Milwaukie over a new bridge.

Construction on the new 1,720-foot bridge bridge, which will be used only by trains, buses, streetcars, pedestrians and bicyclists, is expected to begin this summer. The Orange Line, which TriMet says will better serve the southern transit corridor, downtown and emerging growth areas in east Portland, is scheduled to open in September 2015.

“As President Obama made clear in his State of the Union Address, we must win the future by investing in a modern transportation network that will enable us to out-compete the rest of the world,” LaHood said in a statement. “Portland already boasts a world-class light rail system, and this addition will enhance access to the South Waterfront and destinations across the Willamette River.”

LaHood also noted that the Portland-Milwaukie light rail project has met the requirements of the Federal Transit Administration’s New Starts program, which are in place to ensure a project is a good investment of taxpayer dollars.

Mary Fetsch, a TriMet spokeswoman, said the $200 million is a big chunk of the $745 million that the federal government has promised to construction of the Orange Line (.XLS Spreadsheet) -- but it’s a larger amount than the agency expected this year.

“They’re not writing a check today,” Fetsch said, “but this project has never gotten into the president’s budget this early.”

TriMet is still scratching to find an additional $35.2 million in state and local matching money to cover its share of the most expensive transit project it has ever undertaken. The new MAX line is expected to cost about $1.5 billion, with half coming from federal transportation grants.

Fetsch said the Oregon Transportation Commission is expected to vote Wednesday on a proposal to direct $4.5 million from the Department of Transportation’s flexible funding program into the Orange Line. ODOT is also looking at "various other unobligated pots of transit funds" that would add another $9 million, she said.

Although alternative transportation groups such as the Bicycle Transportation Alliance support the Orange Line, they have expressed concerns that the so-called “Flex” money going into the project might hurt funding for bike and sidewalk projects. The libertarian Cascade Policy Institute, meanwhile, thinks the flexible funds would be better spent on replacing aging buses.

“This is unacceptable,” said John Charles, the institute’s president, in a statement. ”The majority of trips taken on TriMet are on buses; the continued under-investment in bus replacement harms the overall transit mission of TriMet. If the agency had a bus capital crisis last November that was unaddressed by the voters, then clearly that crisis is on-going. The Milwaukie project is a huge distraction from the core requirements of the agency.”

Last fall, Charles and the institute openly opposed a bond measure that would have allowed TriMet to replace at least 150 aging buses. The measure failed at polls.

The president’s budget also includes new funding for rail and bus rapid transit projects in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Texas, Utah and in Washington. The budget also provides $835.4 million for the continued funding of seven additional rail transit projects already operational or under construction in New York, Dallas, Salt Lake City, Seattle, and Northern Virginia.

LaHood said the beleaguered Columbia River Crossing might also "become ready" for part of $400 million for unspecified transit projects in the president's budget.

-- Joseph Rose; Twitter, pdxcommute

http://blog.oregonlive.com/portland_...et_sets_a.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 3:54 AM

I don't understand why this is the 'orange' line. I know it's shown that way on the maps, but by assigning it a new color, it implies that trains will go from Milwaukie to downtown and then turn around - and that Yellow and Green line trains will also go to downtown and turn around. That wouldn't do much for cross-town travelers and I can't imagine it's really more efficient. I'm hoping that showing it as orange on the maps doesn't really mean anything (when they were building the westside blue line - there weren't any line colors then - it was also marked on maps as orange).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:12 AM

I still don't understand why we use colors instead of numbers. I heard the streetcar was going to use colors like, Aqua and Tangerine to differentiate lines.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I still don't understand why we use colors instead of numbers. I heard the streetcar was going to use colors like, Aqua and Tangerine to differentiate lines.
Chicago and a number of cities use colors over numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some form of mental user friendly image that comes with colors over numbers and letters.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:01 AM

Well, since the lines have to be differentiated by color on maps, it makes sense to refer to them directly by color, rather than making people remember that 1=blue, 2=red, etc.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:04 AM

Quote:
I heard the streetcar was going to use colors like, Aqua and Tangerine to differentiate lines.
I heard that too --aqua? tangerine? -- but in the streetcar system plan the various lines are given prospective numbers, iirc. I really hope they go with numbers, and not dorky-sounding colors like the ones you mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:15 AM

Huh, so the new loop is going to be called the "aqua" line. Great Can't wait to hop on the chartreuse line someday.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/node/11

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:16 AM
Karma Police

Aqua and Amber are the two colors they mentioned, but I'm sure Tangerine and Fuschia wouldn't be far behind. I think that's fine for illustrative purposes (on the transit maps), but instead of numbers, the Streetcars should be designated with letters... A, B, C, etc. If you number them, they'll be confused with the numbered bus lines.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:48 AM

I can agree with that 65MAX.

As an event planner who often brings hundreds of bodies to this city, I find our color coordinated system less easy to explain them; hop on line #3 or the C line at the airport and exit stop #34...or whatever it may be...but as a resident, maybe I should be all attached to red and blue and a little yellow now and again. Or not...

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Feb 16, 2011 at 7:13 AM. Reason: clarifiation

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 7:04 AM

Quote:
I can agree with that 65MAX.
+1........

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:49 PM
Ah-choo.

I would love to see the Streetcar lines adopt an A, B, C... naming convention.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 8:17 PM

I've actually found the color systems I've taken around the world to be much easier to manage than the non-color systems.

The primary reason being this: color is ALWAYS used on maps to help differentiate lines. In the cities that don't refer to the lines by their color, inevitably, a color is duplicated, or it becomes entirely unclear which lines use which physical tracks, and the colors mean much less to me.

I've found myself on the wrong train several times simply because it wasn't clear that the train I had been wanting was a transfer.

EDIT:

But I agree, streetcar should use A, B, C, etc.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 9:15 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I prefer letters as well, but I assume the idea is that many people - especially tourists or those who don't use MAX and the streetcar often - don't view the the two as different systems. They view them both as our light rail system.

Still... Tangerine? Cyan? Aqua? Magenta? I wonder if they'll call the Lake Oswego extension the white line. I know the topic is already going in another thread, but god it bugs me that Lake Oswego became a higher priority for the Portland Streetcar than connecting the parts of SE where people live. Crazy.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
I've actually found the color systems I've taken around the world to be much easier to manage than the non-color systems.

The primary reason being this: color is ALWAYS used on maps to help differentiate lines. In the cities that don't refer to the lines by their color, inevitably, a color is duplicated, or it becomes entirely unclear which lines use which physical tracks, and the colors mean much less to me.

I've found myself on the wrong train several times simply because it wasn't clear that the train I had been wanting was a transfer.

EDIT:

But I agree, streetcar should use A, B, C, etc.
Actually now that you mention this, the last time I was in SF, my first day their, I accidentally hopped on the wrong train because they use letters rather than colors. Granted that was because I was rushing myself and jumped on the train rather than checking which letters were what. But it is much easier to look at a map, see your destination stop, and see the color line that runs through it without having to look to see what letter that line is, especially if multiple lines stop at one station.

Also, there are a lot of primary and secondary colors to use before going to the obscure ones, I think Trimet really needs to figure out a real plan for the naming of the lines for the streetcar now that we are soon going to have multiple lines. The MAX has this already figured out, though the Milwaukie line should be nothing more than an extension of one of the existing color lines (Green or Yellow) so that we do not over use the number of colors that are available.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure