Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 11:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 24-05 Jackson Ave | 676 FT | 2 @ 54 FLOORS

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...-borough-hotel

Japanese firm plans largest borough hotel

August 28, 2009
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Despite the weak hospitality market, a no-frills Japanese hotel company is moving ahead with plans to build a 699-unit hotel across the street from the Citibank tower in Long Island City, Queens, which if built would become the city's largest hotel in the outer boroughs.

The hotelier Toyoko Inn filed an application this month with the Department of City Planning seeking approval for a floor area bonus in exchange for building subway improvements, according to agency documents.

Plans describe a hotel 385 feet tall with 699 rooms, making it the largest hotel in the outer boroughs and the 22nd largest hotel in the city. It will be 15 stories shorter than the 50-story Citibank tower nearby.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 12:11 AM
World Machine

LIC is moving right along. Really glad to hear about all this development across the river.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:28 AM

My understanding is that this site was cleared ages ago. I believe it's across the street from Vere26, but don't quote me on that.

m

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 3:01 AM
TL;DR

I wonder what kind of subway improvements are involved?

Be forewarned, these guys build UGLY buildings. Imagine the Brooklyn House of Detention painted tan.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 4:33 AM

When the article stated it was to be a "no-frills hotel" well to me any chance of this being architectually interesting kinda flew out the window. I am hoping to be amazed, but, certainly won't hold my breath.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 5:52 AM
ledru rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Be forewarned, these guys build UGLY buildings. Imagine the Brooklyn House of Detention painted tan.
It's true, they have a sort of 80's Japanese institutional style which, because they operate so many h(m)otels in Japan has become their corporate symbol. See below.

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/newopen.html

Let's hope there will be big, blue Japanese signage at the top at least!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
curbed.com previously issued the same warning...
http://curbed.com/archives/2007/11/0...g_japanese.php

Quote:
Long Island City is Turning Japanese

Friday, November 2, 2007, by Joey

The details are trickling out about the planned Jackson Avenue hotel in LIC, following yesterday's announcement of the sale of five parcels of land. Itzhaki Properties brokered the $17.75 million total sale, and the adjacent properties that were unloaded are listed as 2405, 2409, 2411-2415, 2417 and 2419 Jackson Avenue. This puts the future hotel just a block away from the Citicorp tower, and we're told the purchase was made by a "Japanese hotel group." A search of property records reveals all: the buyer is Toyoko Inn, a massive budget hotel chain. We've become instantly obsessed with Toyoko's website, and have included some of the company's current hotels in the graphic above. Uniformity rules! So what does Toyoko have planned for hip, on-the-rise LIC? No renderings yet, but our foreign invaders will have 170,000 square feet to work with.

Still, any signs of activity there would be welcome news for the city. And it can't get much worse than Brooklyn's new tallest (the Brooklyner). I'm not expecting anything great here, but we'll see how it looks with Citicorp.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 2:32 PM

Doesn't look good. It will be just a filler.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 4:55 PM

Gross.

That's the kind of building that was built back in 1968, not 2009.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 5:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is the Japanese we're talking about here. With the exception of traditional Japanese architecture, their cities are filled with absolutley putrid buildings with about as much character as a metal shed.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:53 AM

^ Not completely true. Wasn't the Shanghai World Financial Center built by the Japanese? That is a beauty.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

That is hardly a good representation of what a JAPANESE city looks like though. They may be incredibly futuristic in terms of technology and contain immense human energy, but they are stark, grimy, and characterless architecturally—only worthy of being absorbed as a whole rather than a collection of admirable vernacular architecture. Imagine a city full of Sam Chang hotels, and those are the nice ones.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:15 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Boy, those look awfully like McSams. Why did ugly design have to become their signature?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That is hardly a good representation of what a JAPANESE city looks like though. They may be incredibly futuristic in terms of technology and contain immense human energy, but they are stark, grimy, and characterless architecturally—only worthy of being absorbed as a whole rather than a collection of admirable vernacular architecture. Imagine a city full of Sam Chang hotels, and those are the nice ones.
I've seen plenty of incredible ordinary buildings on the streets of Tokyo...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:48 AM
New Yorker for life

A little more form the 'hood...

avis bwoy

nabil.s

markamav

Mitch Waxman

JCKole

wallyg

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 5:54 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

This area deserves a much more attractive tower than this ugly junk.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah its junk, but thats not unexpected. the good thing will be getting an inexpensive, true japanese hotel.

now what would be cool would be if it was a capsule hotel or if we could get a nice big gaudy pachinko parlor on the ground floor!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 10:37 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...y_skyline.html

Huge 35-story hotel near Citibank tower may cloud Long Island City skyline

BY Lisa L. Colangelo
September 16th 2009

A Japanese firm's proposal to build a 35-story hotel near the Citibank tower in Long Island City is raising eyebrows among community leaders.

Toyoko Inn New York LLC, which snapped up five plots of land along Jackson Ave. almost two years ago, still needs approvals from several city agencies and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to add entrances to the Court Square Station on the 7 line as part of the project.

Current zoning allows the company to construct the 699-unit structure if it makes transit improvements.

"When we first heard about it and spread the word, people looked at me like I was crazy," said neighborhood activist Tom Paino. "No one really could believe it."

Toyoko, known for its "no-frills" business hotels in Japan, is looking to build subway entrances at 23rd St. and 44th Drive.

"It's going to be a monster," said Joseph Conley, chairman of Community Board 2. "It is one of those things that was not contemplated when the zoning change took place."

Hotels have been popping up all over Long Island City, which is just a few quick subway stops from midtown Manhattan.

But local residents are worried the sagging economy will not rebound in time to make the project viable.

"I don't quite understand how they will attract that many people," said Paino.

Conley said some people are worried about future problems if the hotel fails.

"Hotels have the ability to turn into SROs and facilities for the homeless," Conley said, referring to single-room-occupancy apartments.

Jay Segal, an attorney who is representing Toyoko, said it's too soon to talk about plans for the hotel.

"The hotel won't be built for a while, not until there is an agreement on the subway improvements," he said.

Segal said it's unclear how long it will take to get clearance for the subway improvements. An application is pending at the City Planning Commission.

Paino said he hopes the developer meets with the community before putting shovels in the ground.

"If they are taking a risk like that to put a hotel of that size out here they should reach out a little," Paino said.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:58 PM

oh no! a building half the size of the citigroup building is monstrous! I wonder if these people are aware that the things they say are published for all to read.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
oh no! a building half the size of the citigroup building is monstrous! I wonder if these people are aware that the things they say are published for all to read.
Well, NIMYism is alive and well. They could at least wait for the design, and then call it monstrous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals