HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:20 PM

It takes about an hour from downtown Hillsboro to downtown Portland. PSU student does not get discount.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

PSU students do get a discount if they buy the 3-month all-zone pass. It only costs around $140.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:41 PM

doh! my wife just graduated, how come she didn't know about this!
That's a good deal.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 5:41 PM

Tigard turns to dense Vancouver suburb for guidance

Dense Canadian suburb gives Tigard an anti-sprawl antidote
New downtown - Elected officials and business owners like how Port Moody, B.C., used the community's ideas
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
JOHN FOYSTON
The Oregonian

TIGARD -- As Portland has looked to Vancouver, B.C., and Beaverton to Bellevue, Wash., Tigard's search for inspiration to revitalize its downtown recently led a group of citizens and city staffers north to Port Moody, B.C.

The suburb of about 30,000 people is known for its vibrant, dense urban center 16 miles east of Vancouver. Over several years, the town's City Council managed to work with developers to build that compact downtown while preserving the surrounding open space residents called a priority. Now, urban planners hold up the result as a progressive antidote to sprawl.

In Tigard, where the sleepy downtown is a 146-acre area bounded by Fanno Creek, Hall Boulevard and Oregon 99W, the city has put together a similarly ambitious plan. The goal, backed by voters' move to create a downtown urban renewal district in May 2006: transform a smattering of old storefronts and vacant buildings into the bustling hub of a suburban city.

Although participants agreed that Port Moody-style midrise towers aren't necessarily appropriate in Tigard, they were inspired by the city center and the approach that got it built.

"What astounded me about Port Moody was the process and their attitude toward community involvement," said Lisa Olson, a marketing strategist serving on several citizen groups planning the new Tigard downtown who has lived in the area for 17 years.

"Port Moody's downtown was a conscious decision by the council and the residents, it didn't just come about by luck," Olson said. "I was impressed by how the city worked with the developers and by how much more flexibility they had because their laws are different. But it was a very community-driven project with city government providing the guidance."

Tigard is not the first local city to look north. Portland has looked at the Vancouver, B.C., area's solutions to density for good reason, said Carl Hosticka, the Metro councilor for District 3, which includes the southern half of Washington County.

"If you add in Clark County," he said, "the Portland metropolitan area has about the same population as the Vancouver, B.C., metropolitan area, yet they do it on half the land base that we have."

That understanding is part of what drives Metro's Get Centered program, a multiyear effort to encourage local cities to build lively, mixed-use urban centers that create a sense of place and community. Such centers are the key to maintaining livable communities and the region's natural beauty, and Metro's Plan 2040 designates nearly 40 centers throughout the region and calls for growth concentrated in these centers, as well as along transit corridors.

As part of that program, Metro has sent two groups of officials and citizens to the Vancouver area in the past year, and the Tigard trip to Port Moody was a direct offshoot of those.

"It's very impressive how they deal with transportation and population density," said Sydney Sherwood, Tigard City Council president. "We're dealing with the same issues, and seeing examples of how to do it helps us visualize solutions -- not that we can or want to copy everything."

She and city council member Nick Wilson were part of an earlier Metro-sponsored trip to the area and came away so impressed by Port Moody that they urged the city to send a group of its own.

"Port Moody has relatively high density in its urban center, but it doesn't feel that way thanks to all the open space," said Phil Nachbar, Tigard redevelopment director. Because the downtown includes midrise towers and mixed-use development, Port Moody concentrates its population and has an average of 125 acres of open space per 1,000 residents compared with Tigard's eight acres per 1,000 people, he said.

Nachbar was among the 15 city staffers, city councilors, advisory committee and planning commission members who took a chartered bus to Port Moody late last month for the city-paid, day-and-a-half trip.

"It was really a worthwhile trip, even though not everything we saw is applicable," City Manager Craig Prosser said. "I liked their approach to urban spaces, how they created walkable areas and vibrant streetscapes. But the best advice we got was to know exactly what you want and to be strong in moving toward that goal."

"One of the lessons we learned," Nachbar said, "was that if we're trying to establish a strong residential component to the new downtown, we have to create a strong ambience and quality of life -- we have to make it a place where people want to live."

John Foyston: 503-294-5976; johnfoyston@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...720.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 12:35 AM

It is nice to know that the people shaping the future of Tigard are trying to think on a grander scale than many other suburbs.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 12:58 AM

Sounds great, but why wouldn't mid-rise condos and apartments be appropriate in Tigard?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 2:21 AM

^^^ because those suburbanites are committed to density in theory only.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 2:40 AM

I seem to remember that the Washington Square area of Tigard was being considered as a "Town Center" development and mid rises were included in the plans....this was a few years ago.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:07 AM
Big City Enthusiast

^ nice read!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 3:38 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 7:08 AM

hmmmm...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:27 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 1:33 AM
BANNED

It's a bit off-topic, but I followed that link you gave cab, and there was another article about Vancouver and Portland. It had this quote:

"The heralded success of the Pearl District came after the City offered the developers incentives to adopt higher densities.
That’s a strange notion to Vancouver-ites. Why an incentive to build at higher densities? Wouldn’t developers build to the highest density they can get away with?
Not in American cities."

This makes perfect sense to me. The more density a developer builds, the less the cost of land per built square foot. Strange that a developer would need incentives to build at a high density. It should be in their best interest anyways. This is the article:

http://www.pricetags.ca/pricetags/pricetags90.pdf

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:10 PM
neighborhoods first

density w/out mid rise

Its possible to have density without high or mid rise buildings. Its done by limiting parcel size, and having buildings close together. In other words, small traditional-size homes with multi-story mixed use business districts, small streets and walkable sidewalks. Seattle's and Portland's (city proper) older neighborhoods are a prime examples of where this was done successfully in historical times. San Francisco's residential areas are another prime example of density without mid or high rise buildings.

Of course, pretty much every suburban area has oversize lots, oversize roads, $#i%%y sidewalks, and super-sized homes - therefore it would be difficult to convert existing suburbs into traditional town/neighborhood-scale levels of density.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:24 PM
zzzzzzzz

Hillsboro's Orenco Neighborhood - My New Home!

What’s up everybody? I just moved to the Portland area from Phoenix and love everything about it so far. My wife is going to Pacific U in Forest Grove and I transferred to my company’s Lake Oswego office, so we found a place to live that’s semi-in-between.

We bought a rowhouse in the Orenco neighborhood of Hillsboro. The area, as most of you probably know, is a prime example of suburban TOD or “new urbanism” – an effort to design suburbs that aren’t based around driving a car. (Here’s a link to the Wikipedia article about Orenco Station) There is plenty of typical suburban sprawl-type housing in the area, but there is also a lot of development that is unlike any other suburb I’ve ever been in – narrow streets, small lots, rowhouses, mixed-use buildings, etc. It still has a suburban feel to it – a feeling that probably won’t change much for quite a while, even with the growth Washington County is expected to undertake in the coming years – but it’s a giant step up for a suburb.

Portland is such an awesome city. When I first visited in May, I was blown away by the Pearl District, Northwest and Downtown. It was so nice to see so many people walking around, using public transportation, biking, etc. (completely different from Phoenix). I would have loved to live in the city itself, but it wasn’t practical based on where my wife and I needed to go every day. That said, Orenco is far better than anything I hoped for when I learned I would be moving to the western suburbs of Portland.

Some pics from my new neighborhood (I just have a shitty Canon S400, but you get the idea)…

Orenco Station

The “Q” condos at Orenco Station (SE Corner of Cornell & Orenco Station Pkwy)

New apartments at SW corner of Cornell & Orenco Station Pkwy. These are still under construction (obviously). They extend 3 or 4 blocks south of Cornell to within a block of the MAX. It looks like there is space for retail on the ground floor, but only on the block closest to Cornell.

Orenco Farmer’s Market

Across the light rail tracks to my new hood (along the south side of the MAX line)

My “backyard” (I don’t have a backyard – just an alley, a wall and the MAX)

Anyway, that’s my new hood. I’d be happy to give updates from time-to-time on any Hillsboro/Beaverton area developments that people are interested in if I have time to go out and take photos. It’s still the suburbs, and it’s not near as exciting as what’s going on in Portland, but they’re not half bad as far as suburbs go, and they’re a huge step up from almost anything being built in the Phoenix area.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 3:11 PM

Great photos!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 3:37 PM

Can you find out what they are building at the corner of 231st and the MAX track? It is right across 231st from the Orenco MAX station.
Welcome to the neighborhood.
We just moved downtown from Orenco.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 3:43 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ Yeah, I pass that lot every day. They're still just grading the site now. I'll check and see if I can tell what they're building.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 5:35 PM

I really love what the feel of Orenco, for a suburb. I took MAX out there about two months ago and walked around. I am glad they are finally filling in the area between Cornell and the MAX line.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 6:25 PM

Congratulations on your new home! You made an excellent choice in 'hoods. My company opened a new office not far from there a while back and I almost took a position there. Orenco was by far my first non-downtown choice should I have moved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon