HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:23 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.butcher View Post
Here's an observation about Harrisburg, that may be a bit "controversial", but valid, I feel: since John Vartan's death, it seems that the City has moved forward much better and much bigger and with more diversity in regard to development. I believed that Vartan held us back, even though he did do a couple of interesting projects early on. Now, WCI Partners, Struever Bros. and others can get a fair shot at development in the City. Anyone else feel this way?
I don't think Vartan held the city back, it was the politics around Vartan that did. He had some amazing projects and ideas (Forum Place for example, which was set to be one of the tallest buildings on the east coast at that time; look what you have now instead thanks to politics and petty squabbling). Vartan was very stubborn and so was the Mayor, so you always had these deadlocks that tied projects up and they never went anywhere. Then the tit for tat started with parcels of land...

With Vartan's passing, it opened the dialog back up again with his company which was desperately needed. It's a shame it took that to make it happen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations