HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I don't think that there any government offices in that small office tower on the south side of the mall. I believe those are only professional offices (lawyer, dentist etc..). The government offices are the taxation offices on the north side of the mall facing Maloney. That combined with the now vacated spaces from the Mega Furniture Store could be put together to make some valuable retail space.
The tower on the south side of les Promenades does have Federal offices in there, HRSDC to be specific. Though that small (3 story) tower is not accessible from inside the mall.

The plan to expand would be in the south east corner of the parking area. Supposedly a parking garage is part of the initial plans (could change). The food court would be relocated (to the new area I assume).

Keep in mind that Target is going in the Galeries Gatineau right across the street from the mall, meaning increased traffic. Plus, with Costco in the mall the traffic has increased incredibly over the past few years anyway.

The addition of a Simons would be a coup for that area!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:42 PM

I was supprised they didn't add a parking garage when they built the Costco.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:49 PM

Myer's Volkswagen is also moving to the Palladium Auto Park in Spring 2013. That location in Bell's Corners is and always has been a joke. It's literally rammed up against a railroad embankment. Hopefully the resulting claustrophobia is the reason for their long heritage of crappy service under both the old and new ownership and they can turn things around.
http://www.obj.ca/Local/2012-09-14/a...W-dealership/1

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Simons tends to build stores in the 100,000 square foot range. Which is about the size of the ground floor of the two-floor Bay store at Les Promenades. The Revenue Canada offices plus the vacant Méga Meubles are probably pretty close to that size together.
Anyone visit The Bay at Les Promenades recently? Its depressing, outdated and has very low traffic, seems like only a matter of time before they close shop at that location, as they can't be making any money! If that happens, for sure Simons will move into that space.

In either case, I would love to see Simons move in to Les Promenades, they would not only increase shopping traffic at the mall, but also stand out from the rest, architecturally-speaking. Their most recent openings are quite pleasing to the eye! http://www.simons.ca/eng/simons/our-history.cfm

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Anyone visit The Bay at Les Promenades recently? Its depressing, outdated and has very low traffic, seems like only a matter of time before they close shop at that location, as they can't be making any money! If that happens, for sure Simons will move into that space.

In either case, I would love to see Simons move in to Les Promenades, they would not only increase shopping traffic at the mall, but also stand out from the rest, architecturally-speaking. Their most recent openings are quite pleasing to the eye! http://www.simons.ca/eng/simons/our-history.cfm
Ultimately it is not just up to them but I doubt the mall would want to lose the Bay even if they get a Simons, which they see as a plus, not as a replacement.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 12:42 AM

Even if the Mega/Revenue Canada space is not enough square footage, could a Simons store in that spot be 2 levels? If I'm not mistaken, the downtown Montreal, Laval and Saint-Bruno stores are all 2 levels (haven't been to the other locations).

I don't think it would be a good idea for The Bay at les Promenades to close even if Simons does move in shortly thereafter. Remember what happened in the late 90s when Eatons closed at the other end? That end of the mall was dead for years.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 2:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Even if the Mega/Revenue Canada space is not enough square footage, could a Simons store in that spot be 2 levels? If I'm not mistaken, the downtown Montreal, Laval and Saint-Bruno stores are all 2 levels (haven't been to the other locations)..
Good points. Even just on one floor I think the space is pretty close to being sufficient, so if they built over two floors it would be a no-brainer.

Quote:
I don't think it would be a good idea for The Bay at les Promenades to close even if Simons does move in shortly thereafter. Remember what happened in the late 90s when Eatons closed at the other end? That end of the mall was dead for years.
It really depends on where the Hudson's Bay Company is at this point in its corporate evolution. If they are on the upswing and trying to rejuvenate themselves then Les Promenades offers great potential that they would be foolish to pass up. Especially if Simons comes there, it will become a major force to be reckoned with in the regional retail marketplace.

On the other hand if The Bay is in decline and they are just trying to stop the hemorrhage (à la Sears) then yeah stores like Gatineau are the ones they'd get rid of, while refocusing on the core landmark stores like Rideau St. Ste-Catherine, Yonge, etc.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Good points. Even just on one floor I think the space is pretty close to being sufficient, so if they built over two floors it would be a no-brainer.

It really depends on where the Hudson's Bay Company is at this point in its corporate evolution. If they are on the upswing and trying to rejuvenate themselves then Les Promenades offers great potential that they would be foolish to pass up. Especially if Simons comes there, it will become a major force to be reckoned with in the regional retail marketplace.

On the other hand if The Bay is in decline and they are just trying to stop the hemorrhage (à la Sears) then yeah stores like Gatineau are the ones they'd get rid of, while refocusing on the core landmark stores like Rideau St. Ste-Catherine, Yonge, etc.
Just take a look at some of the Hudson's Bay stores that have finished their renovations. The flagship stores are done and now they are working on other stores; they look great. A renovated Hudson's Bay & Simons would compliment each other at Les Promenades.

Also, hopefully Hudson's Bay on Rideau Street will undergo renovations soon, that store has a lot of potential especially with Nordstrom coming.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Even if the Mega/Revenue Canada space is not enough square footage, could a Simons store in that spot be 2 levels? If I'm not mistaken, the downtown Montreal, Laval and Saint-Bruno stores are all 2 levels (haven't been to the other locations).
The Montreal store is a little odd, it has the main level, a small Mezzanine and another level which is larger than the mezzanine but smaller than the main level. I bet if you just counted floor space, it would be effectively the equivalent of two levels, but the way it's arranged you get an enormous open space when you come in to the store that's completely different from the often claustrophobic department store layouts we tend to see around here. Then the escalators up to the other small levels (and down to the Metro level) are arranged around that cool glass sculpture, and they give great views overlooking the store (it's great way to find your partner when shopping in different sections!)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:02 PM

Quote:

There was an Eatons at Les Promenades? Where was it?

As for the Bay on Rideau Street, why are they taking so long to modernize it? They have to move their behinds before the Rideau Centre expansion and Nordstrom opens.

I hope they leave the old Rideau frontage windows open; it would real;y brighten up the store and give the old building more street presence at night (as I am sure it had in the Freiman days). And they had better connect to the subway and Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There was an Eatons at Les Promenades? Where was it?
Very roughly where the Costco is today.

It had a somewhat smaller footprint than the Costco though.

Les Promenades was expanded a bit to the west (towards Gréber) and the south (Chemin de la Savane) in order to bring in the Costco.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Very roughly where the Costco is today.

It had a somewhat smaller footprint than the Costco though.

Les Promenades was expanded a bit to the west (towards Gréber) and the south (Chemin de la Savane) in order to bring in the Costco.
I use to go to High School across the street, and I remember Les Promenades before Costco and doors in that corner, but I can't recall a department store sized building in that corner (although I wasn't as observant in those days).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I use to go to High School across the street, and I remember Les Promenades before Costco and doors in that corner, but I can't recall a department store sized building in that corner (although I wasn't as observant in those days).
Eaton would have closed its store sometime around 1995-1997 I would say.

After that for a while the space was a Laura clearance centre that looked quite crappy.

Then Laura moved into its permanent space near Archambault, and I think the space was vacant for several years before it was revamped for the Costco.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 1:04 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Myer's Volkswagen is also moving to the Palladium Auto Park in Spring 2013. That location in Bell's Corners is and always has been a joke. It's literally rammed up against a railroad embankment. Hopefully the resulting claustrophobia is the reason for their long heritage of crappy service under both the old and new ownership and they can turn things around.
http://www.obj.ca/Local/2012-09-14/a...W-dealership/1
This was originally the PDI and wash up area for Carl Elliot Chev-Olds. They built that funny VW showroom onto the garages where the clean-up crews used to work.

As for that VW dealership, it remains one of the worst sales experiences I've ever had.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:56 PM

Belisle Chevrolet at Montreal Road and St. Laurent announced yesterday that they are closing and the land has been sold to a developer for high rise condos.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Belisle Chevrolet at Montreal Road and St. Laurent announced yesterday that they are closing and the land has been sold to a developer for high rise condos.
Wow. This is really the end of an era for this part of Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 8:11 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Belisle specialized in selling to an older - and predominantly francophone clientele.

They had by far the most attractive showroom in the region.

A sad day to see it close. Another sign of the changing times. My guess is that Hank Mews must be breaking open the champagne right about now.

I wonder who will sell Cadillac in the east end?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
That sucks. That's where I get my car fixed. They have good service.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 10:25 PM

Are there any east end auto malls like Palladium planned? That would allow for even more redevelopment in their current locations. Somewhere like Walkley/417 would be a great place.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:22 PM
Retail-Insider

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your Forum contributions. I'd like to reference this Forum and any contributions/contributors who might have information relevant to my website, Retail Insider.

Retail Insider is an un-monetized hobby of mine. My goal is to get Canadians excited about retail and retail-related real estate (and it seems to be working). A variety of sources, both from brokers/insiders and online sources are used. I'd love it if some of you would like to contribute and I'll totally source you/this Forum where possible. Some of your posts are awesome and I'd like to hear from you!

Feel free to email me at insider@retail-insider.com with any suggestions, tips, feedback or even just to say hello. I'm a friendly guy and like I said, this is still a hobby (only started April 2012) that seems to have gained a consistent readership.

In return, I'll do my best to update this Forum with any retail-related insider info I might receive...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy