HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 1:22 PM
Witty comment fail

one thing to remember is that 2 of the biggest uses for the Coliseum are the Rodeo and the Fair.... both things that best work at the current location. I don't think they'll change the location.

The trainyard would be a possibility, although, personally, I'd like to see an arena on the 1 Court Square block.

after a quick look at local.live.com, the best location for one downtown (the 1 court square idea would have parking issues) would be the three blocks north of the Riverwalk Stadium parking lots. Old warehouses right now, nothing historic, it could share parking with the stadium, and be within walking distance of the Riverwalk, and the Alley.

Last edited by thoraudio; Aug 15, 2007 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:15 PM
Midtown Montgomery

It does need to be within walking distance of the 800 or so hotel rooms, the alley, stadium, etc.

Would this be a state-of-the-art 30,000 seat arena?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 6:24 PM
Witty comment fail

I honestly don't think we can expect that much. I'm thinking the most likely scenerio is air conditioning, new seats, and a new paint job at the current one.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:11 PM

Yes, it's 80% likely that the project will be a major overhaul at the current site, but any possibilities will be mentioned just to cover all grounds.

If a new one were to be built downtown, the old rail yards would be a likely site because there would be plenty of space to build barns to house any animals that may be used for certain shows; just like the current facility has.

It would also make a great new venue for the Alabama State Fair by being so close to downtown and the Riverfront District.

buttt...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:34 PM
Midtown Montgomery

I heard that Sparks is trying to push the new facility.... maybe he just neeeds a partner.

cough, Bronner, cough, RSA, cough

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
I heard that Sparks is trying to push the new facility.... maybe he just neeeds a partner.

cough, Bronner, cough, RSA, cough
For a Democrat, Ron Sparks is alright in my book. Folks on both sides on the aisle could stand to learn a thing or 2 from him.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:17 PM

It keeps going and going and...

Hyundai Supplier Announces Expansion in Montgomery
http://www.waka.com

One of the largest suppliers for Hyundai's assembly plant in Montgomery has announced plans to expand production at its own facility in Montgomery, creating more than 140 jobs to the 875 the company already has.

MOBIS Alabama officials say they will invest more than $55 million over two years for the expansion. The South Korean-based company will increase the size of its redistribution center, plastic injection facility and paint shop and build a new E-coating facility. Construction will start next month.

"The thing that makes me most appreciative is to watch a company come here, put their roots down here and make that initial investment here and then look back four or five years later and see how they have grown and prospered," Gov. Bob Riley said as the announcement was made.

The facilities will serve the Hyundai auto plant in Montgomery and the Kia auto plant under construction just across the state line in West Point, Georgia, which is about 80 miles from Montgomery.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:30 PM
Midtown Montgomery

I'm sure before the plant in West Point opens every supplier within a 75-mile radius of the Hyundai plant will have some sort of expansion.......

& the new steel plant is going to continue to drive the auto industry in the deep south, that in my opinion is going to start centering itself around the I-65 corridor from Huntsville to Mobile.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
I'm sure before the plant in West Point opens every supplier within a 75-mile radius of the Hyundai plant will have some sort of expansion.......

& the new steel plant is going to continue to drive the auto industry in the deep south, that in my opinion is going to start centering itself around the I-65 corridor from Huntsville to Mobile.
And that's on top of existing Auto Plants in Spring Hill, TN(Saturn), Bowling Green, KY(Corvette), Louisville(Ford Plant, want to say trucks are built there), going all the way up to the Steel Mills in Gary, IN. Also don't forget that Nissan is moving their North American HQ from California to just south of Nashville along I-65.

So in reality all 888 Miles of I-65 are holding their own in regards to auto plants and suppliers with massive steel mills that are "dumbbells" on each end(relatively speaking) of the Interstate. It's a good time to live in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 1:33 PM
Witty comment fail

Blurb from the Advertiser about Byron's project.

Quote:
Renovations started on historic buildings

Local developer Byron Berry has begun renovation work to historic buildings on South Perry Street. Berry began restorative work Wednesday.

The buildings were in danger of being demolished.

"It's like opening a letter in an old box," he said. "You just never know what you're going to get."

Berry will renovate three buildings in the district at 22, 24 and 26-28 S. Perry St. They will be residential upstairs and commercial downstairs.

Mayor Bobby Bright said he signed paperwork Wednesday to prepare for upcoming demolition work to the back portions of those buildings.

The Hill building, located on the corner of South Perry Street and Washington Avenue, will be demolished entirely. The city plans to build a multilevel parking deck in the area, Bright said.

Bright is confident Berry will follow through on his plans.

"We know he's serious," Bright said. "Thank goodness we don't have to tear down those three buildings."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 2:53 PM
Midtown Montgomery

The Hill building is our [Hill, Hill, Carter, Franco, Cole, & Black] old office, but I never worked there. Sad to see it's going to be demolished. Any thoughts on exactly what kind of retail/business would work best at these bottom floor locations?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 3:30 PM
Roll Tide

Fantastic news about those buildings being renovated! Mr. Berry:

Pictures of some of the buildings from two or three months ago:

"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:17 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Big first day at Bass Pro

By Marty Roney

PRATTVILLE -- Seven minutes after the doors opened Wednesday night at Prattville's Bass Pro Shops, fire officials closed the turnstiles because the sprawling 185,000-square-foot megastore had reached its capacity of about 3,100.

Several hundred people were left in a long line in the broiling parking lot, but the delay didn't lead to short tempers. As customers left, an equal number were let in.

This is Alabama's first Outdoor World location.

"Well, I guess we'll get in when we get in," said Ray Wheeler of Prattville. Wheeler was about 25th in line, with his wife and 11-year-old son, Josh. "We knew there was going to be a huge crowd tonight. It's a little disappointing. I sure was looking forward to that air conditioning."

The high Wednesday reached 104. It was still in the triple digits when the outdoor festivities began at 6 p.m. It was part pep rally and part rock concert, complete with four skydivers jumping into a nearby field. Strains of "Sweet Home Alabama" blared from speakers as the crowd got worked into a frenzy.

"Anybody here like to hunt and fish?" Bass Pro Shops founder Johnny Morris yelled, to be answered by raucous cheers. "We are so proud to be in Alabama. And I'll say the employees here are some of the nicest, most passionate folks you'll ever want to meet. I think that comes from being in the Deep South. They are going to take good care of you."

Dignitaries ranging from pro fishermen Bill Dance and Jimmy Houston to B.A.S.S. founder Ray Scott took in the party with the likes of Kenny Stabler, former University of Alabama and Oakland Raiders quarterback.

Once customers made it inside, they weren't disappointed. The main feature of the store is a two-story waterfall, which feeds a stream stocked with fish. The waterfall goes over a faux mountain with life-sized mounts of cougars, bear and deer. At the bottom is a 20,000-gallon aquarium filled with local freshwater fish. One steel I-beam is exposed on the second floor, but you have to look closely to notice. It's painted to resemble a tree, complete with bark and moss.

"This is the coolest place I've ever been in," said David Little, 12, of Prattville.

Mayor Jim Byard walked around inside taking it all in, with a big smile on his face. When asked what he thought, he was uncharacteristically caught with a lack of words.

"Wow ... just wow," he said.

Beth Mims carried a shopping basket full of Bass Pro Shops hats, which are on sale for 99 cents each.

"These are presents for my husband, father, father-in-law, brothers and silly boy cousins," she said with a laugh. "Everybody in my family hunts and fishes, including most of the women. I couldn't let a deal like this pass by."

Officials expected a crowd of 10,000 for opening night. The stifling heat may have cut into that expectation.

But at 8 p.m., with two hours to go until closing, there was a steady stream of traffic coming to the area. Some folks parked more than a mile away and hoofed it in.

The revised count was between 6,500 and 8,000.

Jerry Roberts decided on an approach to the evening that many seemed to share.

"Why stand outside for an hour or more when it's this hot?" he said about 8:15 p.m. "Just to be one of the first customers through the door? Nah. We came late to get away from that big push. This store is going to be here for a long time, so there's no need to rush."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 5:19 PM
Witty comment fail

Hit Boomer T's for lunch today at their new Dexter Ave. location. It's very nice,a nd a big upgrade over the old location, give them a shot.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 12:21 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Publix may be next store to commit to Prattville

By Marty Roney

PRATTVILLE -- Publix at High Point Town Center?

The shopping mall's developer says yes, the grocery chain says not so fast and the mayor won't comment.

Right now, the Florida-based Publix has four stores in the tri-county area -- all in Montgomery.

High Point's developer, AIG Baker, lists Publix as an anchor on its Web site. Other already announced anchor stores are Bass Pro Shops, which opened Wednesday night; department stores J.C. Penney and Belk; and electronics giant Best Buy.

Publix announces a site only after a lease agreement is signed, said Brenda Reid, communications manager for the chain in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina. The official word from the supermarket is that no site has been picked in Prattville.

And about all that Mayor Jim Byard wants to talk about is Wednesday night's grand opening of Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, which drew a crowd of 7,500.

Byard balked when asked about Publix.

"It's our policy not to comment on economic development issues," he said. "But I can say there are major interests looking at locating in Prattville. It is our goal to make Prattville the shopping hub north of the river, and those efforts certainly are beginning to bear fruit."

The 900,000-square-foot High Point Town Center is just off Cobbs Ford Road, the main drag in town. Earthmoving machines are busy doing site preparation.

Just across the road sits Prattville Town Center, a 400,000-square-foot development. Home Depot opened about six weeks ago; Target had its grand opening three weeks ago. Also open are Circuit City and PetSmart. Others coming are Books-A-Million, Steinmart and Bed, Bath and Beyond.

It's Publix, though, that has added more voices to the mantra about "not having to cross the river" anymore.

"I like to cook, and I like to try out new recipes," said Dale Carter of Prattville. "There are times when a recipe calls for something unusual, and Publix is the only place I can find it. I don't have to cross the river anymore after we get our store here."

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:05 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatBaman View Post
Fantastic news about those buildings being renovated! Mr. Berry:
agree 100% ... Mr. Berry

more photos

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...8160801&Ref=PH

Last edited by OldCloverdale; Aug 17, 2007 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:38 PM

way OT question:

Was River Run golf course once located between Bell and Taylor just north of I-85?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:33 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
way OT question:

Was River Run golf course once located between Bell and Taylor just north of I-85?
I think AUM takes up all of the area you are referring to NORTH of I-85, but if you meant south.... that's Old Halcyon, with estate homes on the Bell Rd side, and more of a new subdivision feel as you drive closer to Taylor Rd.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 4:42 PM
Witty comment fail

I don't ever recall a golf course in that area.

The only two I can remember the city losing were The Standard Club course, which is now the new Lockwood subdivision, and the course that was across McGhee rd from Montgomery Mall, which also became housing (that one happened in the mid-late 80's).

oh... and wasn't there a driving range/par 3 course out towards the Airport years ago too?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 5:36 PM
Midtown Montgomery

First big news for the convention center!

Buckmasters expo returns to Montgomery in 2008

The Buckmasters Expo will return to Montgomery in 2008, city officials revealed today.

For the past three years, the expo has been held in North Carolina. But city, county and state officials were able to use the 2008 opening of a new civic center to lure the event back to Montgomery.

The 2004 expo drew visitors to Montgomery from 44 states and pumped an estimated $13 million into the local economy, Buckmasters spokesman Ken Piper wrote in a news release.

The expo will be held Aug. 15 -18, 2008.

--- Andre Coe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast