HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Not too shabby! I really like the arched townhomes (#7 in the above graphic) that wrap around "Forecourt plaza". Reminds me a bit of a modern, albeit shorter and smaller, version of the Royal Crescent in Bath, England...
I was just about to write the exact same post!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Overview of the entire site:

from: http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/...nds-with-video

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
Those renders looks very promising.
Renders often do .....

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
There's a lot to like about this project, not the least of which is the way the developers worked within the CDP, so it seems churlish to quibble, but I will nevertheless.

There's good talk about retail, but I don't see any in the renders.

The development is sealed off to the north. It makes the development look like something of an enclave rather than integrating into the existing community. I would have preferred to see at least one street connecting to Springhurst. It looks like they could have connected to Concord.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:52 PM
National Capital Region

There are "Future Pedestrian Paths" to Rosemere and Simcoe, plus links through Springhurst Park to Chestnut. It's a lot easier to see in these higher quality PDFs
http://oblatesredevelopment.com/pdf/...d-Siteplan.pdf
http://oblatesredevelopment.com/pdf/...Draft-Plan.pdf

The problem is that those first two are through private lands, and would have to wait until future redevelopment of the convent and some kind of easement through 130 Springhurst. Maybe once the formal application comes in we can see how these pedestrian connections will be implemented.

edit: 130 Springhurst seems to be connected with the Oblates, so perhaps there is still some room to add a vehicular connection to Concord through the subdivision process if all parties are on board.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Nov 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:22 AM

Is there retail or not? A development of this size can support a grocery store, pharmacy, and hardware store. If all 3 are not present this is a complete failure IMO.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:49 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Is there retail or not? A development of this size can support a grocery store, pharmacy, and hardware store. If all 3 are not present this is a complete failure IMO.
To be fair there IS the "new" Loblaws just across the canal, but even a small grocery store in the south end of the neighbourhood would be good for them and Old Ottawa South as well. Definitely agree about the hardware and pharmacy shops though.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:53 PM

I'm sure Shoppers is already on top of this thing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 2:23 PM

In the overview (top-down) image the blue building in the top-left reads mixed-use, which I would hope means commercial first floor. I'm going to be optimistic and imagine at least the other blue building that fronts on main street will have commercial as well.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 3:08 PM
National Capital Region

from the Citizen article on the previous page.
Quote:
A widened green strip of trees and bike and walking paths will stretch along the Rideau River, and a large driveway or grande allée will link Main Street to the front portico of the grey stone Deschâtelets, setting up a linear park that will run between mid-rise condos by Regional on the north and similar housing forms to be built by Saint Paul on land it owns on the south.

Retail shops and likely a grocery store will be located at ground level, cars will be restricted, a farmers’ market will set up shop on weekends and the existing community will be invited to shop.

“This is not Barrhaven. It is going to be a new urban community,” says Lorimer.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
In the overview (top-down) image the blue building in the top-left reads mixed-use, which I would hope means commercial first floor. I'm going to be optimistic and imagine at least the other blue building that fronts on main street will have commercial as well.
I would hope that's the case.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:48 PM

A lot of townhouses will mean front of houses will look like parking lots as most unconsiderate residents use the garage as a shed!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:03 PM

Just found this in the article...

"and a large driveway or grande allée will link Main Street to the front portico of the grey stone Deschâtelets, setting up a linear park that will run between mid-rise condos by Regional on the north and similar housing forms to be built by Saint Paul on land it owns on the south.

Retail shops and likely a grocery store will be located at ground level, cars will be restricted, a farmers’ market will set up shop on weekends and the existing community will be invited to shop."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:19 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
A lot of townhouses will mean front of houses will look like parking lots as most unconsiderate residents use the garage as a shed!
The townhomes have rear laneways for parking/access

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:28 PM
Busy Beaver

This development desperately needs one or even two ped/bike bridges across the river to gain access to the LRT station at Hurdman. One at Clegg and another on the northern edge would be nice. Along with the proposed bridge across the Canal to Lansdowne, this area could be a major nexus for the cycling network.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:36 PM

FINALLY, something done right! Congrats to Regional and Domicile.

I have a few comments, despite loving what I see so far:

- Another development that is disconnected from the waterfront. I understand the City of Ottawa wants a path along the Rideau, but perhaps allowing two small sections of land (right near the protruding dock in the siteplans above) for a restaurant, or small café, even a playground with water features, etc., would do a lot to help animate the area. The planned pathway could still be integrated into this...
- Too bad they didn't make the middle 9-floor C2 building slightly higher -- 11-storeys, perhaps, just to add some "texture" to the area's "skyline".
- If they're going to build houses with flat roofs, that hopefully they have green roofs or rain-water collection systems. Or solar panels... something!

Anyways, great proposal! Look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Last edited by Arcologist; Nov 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
This development desperately needs one or even two ped/bike bridges across the river to gain access to the LRT station at Hurdman. One at Clegg and another on the northern edge would be nice. Along with the proposed bridge across the Canal to Lansdowne, this area could be a major nexus for the cycling network.
I couldn't agree more!!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The townhomes have rear laneways for parking/access
That would be great if this is the case.

Drawback for residents is potential lack of back yard.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
That would be great if this is the case.

Drawback for residents is potential lack of back yard.
If the resident buys the property without a back yard, then it's not a drawback for them.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:24 AM

There'd better be a small grocery store included in this development, because the Isabella Loblaws would be near impossible to access by vehicle from this location. Isabella serves the Glebe, and all the streets bordering the Glebe serve the Glebe (ie - they are all one-ways, heading *out* of the community, while barring access *in*).

Old Ottawa East needs something of its own given the geographical barriers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa