HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:59 PM

Very encouraging! Now we need to see the extension for jumping up.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:41 PM
BANNED

That is great news and could the possibility be that the open lot to the east (part of the original Cityscape plan) is what the crane is for? Possibly? Either way, a win!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:46 PM

No, the FAA permit is definitely for the crane already in place, not for a new lot/location.

Also, there is no need for an crane extension at this point, there is plenty of room between the elevator core and the crane arm to continue the building. They would need to raise the crane in the future, but not now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:34 PM

/\ Great pic HX Guy. Good lighting and I like the old (Courthouse, Luhrs) with the new. Now, if only the hotel was built on the Collier' Center property years ago, the gap down Jefferson would be blocked and look great.

Oh yeah, and sounds good about the crane.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:01 PM

Thanks. Could you tell that the photo is actually photoshopped?

This is the original, I had to take out the stop light but also lost some windows in the top floor of Luhrs.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:20 PM

HX....can you shop me into the pic standing on the crane arm?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
BANNED

I just got a mailer that Gold's is running a 20/month special on month to month. Great deal, and obviously they are being very aggressive trying to get new members, hopefully not because they are struggling.

Either way, I may be joining. Got my weight down from 215 to 165 over the past year and have pretty much leveled off, but now I'd like to tone up and it's hard to do without weights or at least resistence machines.

PS, HX that picture makes it look like the area above CVS is screaming for an additional tower. I know it will never happen, and the site isn't able to take it, but it sure would frame off that intersection nicely.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:36 PM

Damn, that is a good deal at Gold's! I'm paying like $34/month at Mountainside Fitness, I'd love to go to the downtown Gold's but the commute wouldn't make much sense.

Nice job on the weight loss! I'm down to 175lbs myself from 195lbs earlier this year. 175lbs is my lowest since I was probably like 15 years old, I weighed around 235lbs about 10 years ago.
I just started a new strength program called Starting Strength...it's very basic but it's supposed to be really good. There is a book you can buy and also a DVD that gives you instructions on the exercises (squats, press, deadlift, bench press & power clean). Let me know if you want more info.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 12:31 AM

Nice gentlemen, NICE!!!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Damn, that is a good deal at Gold's! I'm paying like $34/month at Mountainside Fitness, I'd love to go to the downtown Gold's but the commute wouldn't make much sense.

Nice job on the weight loss! I'm down to 175lbs myself from 195lbs earlier this year. 175lbs is my lowest since I was probably like 15 years old, I weighed around 235lbs about 10 years ago.
I just started a new strength program called Starting Strength...it's very basic but it's supposed to be really good. There is a book you can buy and also a DVD that gives you instructions on the exercises (squats, press, deadlift, bench press & power clean). Let me know if you want more info.
nah, I have a simple workout plan, it's called racing my bike! lol

Seriously though, I don't know the explination for this, but I find that if I have a structure or regimen to follow, I don't want to do it. Who knows why. That's part of the reason I love bikes, if I'm bored I can go for a ride lol. How tall are you HX?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 1:45 AM

Man I'd love to go to Gold's Gym but unfortunately I only have time for my current workout plan which involves me drinking less beer and taking the stairs at work to my office on the 8th floor.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:08 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post

PS, HX that picture makes it look like the area above CVS is screaming for an additional tower. I know it will never happen, and the site isn't able to take it, but it sure would frame off that intersection nicely.
Well it could still have 4 or so stories of apartments/condo's above it, right? That was the original plan, unless they value constructed the lower section and now it can't support it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:10 AM

Quote:
nah, I have a simple workout plan, it's called racing my bike! lol

Seriously though, I don't know the explination for this, but I find that if I have a structure or regimen to follow, I don't want to do it. Who knows why. That's part of the reason I love bikes, if I'm bored I can go for a ride lol. How tall are you HX?
Hah...I'm the opposite, I love structured work outs, I need to know exactly how many sets and reps I need to do of each thing.

I'm 6'1".

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Hah...I'm the opposite, I love structured work outs, I need to know exactly how many sets and reps I need to do of each thing.

I'm 6'1".
so percentage wise you've probably done about the same weight loss as I have, at 5'10"

good stuff, man!!

structure makes it feel like I'm going to work. I want to do it for fun.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 11:03 PM

apartments on top of Palomar

I posted this last August regarding the building activity on top of the new hotel...you may want to read it again..it might help answer your questions:

#6718 Posted: Aug 26, 2011, 11:55 AM
azcats
Registered User Join Date: Dec 2010

ok...first...I don't post here often...however, I do read and look at this sight. I think your pictures you guys take...are great...apprecaite you continuing with the pics.

No one seems to know if RED is going to continue building on top of the Palomar (Kimpton) Hotel. So, I called RED - and got ahold of a Keith Earnest. He indicated that he is the person that knows what is going on. He said that the hotel should be open by next April. As far as the continuation on top of the hotel: He said that there have been changes in their plans...however, they have settled on building multi-family (apartments) on top of the Palomar Hotel. Keith said that the design has changed since the original design...and that the building will top out at only about 23 floors - instead of the original 34 floors. Keith also said that there will be some lag time - like 3 months - when they start up on building the apartments...I lost him here a little - however, I think he said that the construction for the aprtments would begin later this year(?) I also lost him a little on the completion date...however, I believe he said the apartments would be ready by 2013. Whether this happens or not...that is what he said. if you want to call and talk to him - call Keith Earnest in RED's (Scottsdale?) office. His number has a 480 area code - so, I am figuring it is located in Scottsdale.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 11:21 PM

That seems to fit with what is happening...

The hotel looks to probably be ready to open in April, like he said, and then he mentioned the apartments would open in 2012, and the crane permit is through the end of 2012...so that does add up. 23 stories wouldn't be too bad either. Let's hope it happens.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 11:49 PM

Sure would be cool to live there!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:18 AM

Quote:
That seems to fit with what is happening...

The hotel looks to probably be ready to open in April, like he said, and then he mentioned the apartments would open in 2012, and the crane permit is through the end of 2012...so that does add up. 23 stories wouldn't be too bad either. Let's hope it happens.
Would they just add a few extensions to that crane to make it taller? The building can't get much taller with the existing crane height.

I'd like to see a press release from RED and a rendering of what the building is supposed to look life with the apartments.

Last edited by nickw252; Jan 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
I just got a mailer that Gold's is running a 20/month special on month to month. Great deal, and obviously they are being very aggressive trying to get new members, hopefully not because they are struggling.

Either way, I may be joining. Got my weight down from 215 to 165 over the past year and have pretty much leveled off, but now I'd like to tone up and it's hard to do without weights or at least resistence machines.

According to the structural engineer of record, the PSP garage would have supported a 20 story tower upon its stabilization. We can blame the Renaissance Square owners who wouldn't budge on the block's CC&Rs which limited a 30' height. It's why we didn't see the planned apartments on that site as well.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I was quite dilligent about working out and I gained 20 lbs .. but I fear my endless working is spelling my atrophy. How the hell am I supposed to have energy to work out when I get home from an 10+ hour day?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Dunno man... You just have to want it. I find the energy but I can't explain how.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest