HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Wanda Vista in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:26 PM
Development Shill

You wouldn't even know this was the Wanda Vista thread....

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
No, no, no, this building has to go and its replacement must be a crystal tower 6 miles high! Also tear down all buildings over 50 yrs. old and put up glass slabs in their place.
lol

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:24 AM

Question. Looking at vistas webcam... When they eventually connect the upper walkway on the south with the the other two buildings walkways who decides the design of that concourse? I assume all the buildings want it to blend and flow visually together. So im just wondering if all three buildings landscape crews have to agree on something or is there a LSE board that makes those decisions?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Question. Looking at vistas webcam... When they eventually connect the upper walkway on the south with the the other two buildings walkways who decides the design of that concourse? I assume all the buildings want it to blend and flow visually together. So im just wondering if all three buildings landscape crews have to agree on something or is there a LSE board that makes those decisions?
It's already all been designed by the Vista team... The two buildings to the south are rental, so no Nimby issues there... The park is maintained and controlled by the CPD and all of the other landscaped areas I'm sure are controlled by their respective associations or building owners... as far as altering the rooftop bases of the adjacent buildings, there must have been ROW agreements or some such language established from the get go to allow for the alterations...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 4:25 PM

it is also worth noting, they aren’t simply connecting the walkways as they are currently seen. There is a large cantalievered deck to still be installled that sits in the gap over the street where the buildings connect.

img hosted over at chi arch

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 6:24 PM

^ The picture is indicative of everything I've experienced first hand in Chinese cities. They actually make going under major roadways that are decked/elevated not scary. Hoping they can bring some of that to Chicago.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:43 AM
The City

Chicago was building multi decked roads when China was still in diapers

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:22 AM

I think he meant that in China there are passages under the roadways that are less dark and scary - not exactly the case with lower Wacker etc.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:48 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I think he meant that in China there are passages under the roadways that are less dark and scary - not exactly the case with lower Wacker etc.
But how can you film The Dark Knight without dark and scary decked roads?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 11:53 AM

11/10/17

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:45 PM

c’mon cladding

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
What you don't find the Damen underpass into Pilsen as warm and inviting as I do?

Fact of the matter is that Chicago was far more intensely industrial at it's peak than even China today. Industry simply doesn't concentrate like it used to. It requires far more spread out infrastructure than turn of the century multi floor factories and warehouses. This combined with the fact that they were built 100 years ago means a lot of our infrastructure isn't as pretty as the new stuff you see in China. That's ok though, the industrial aesthetic is Chicago as much as second empire is Paris. It defines the place and has now been embraced by our city rather than rejected as a sign of blight. That's the greatest thing about what is going on in the West Loop and other areas. We are reviving these buildings and infrastructure to preserve it for posterity.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
What you don't find the Damen underpass into Pilsen as warm and inviting as I do?
Hahaha! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Fact of the matter is that Chicago was far more intensely industrial at it's peak than even China today. Industry simply doesn't concentrate like it used to. It requires far more spread out infrastructure than turn of the century multi floor factories and warehouses. This combined with the fact that they were built 100 years ago means a lot of our infrastructure isn't as pretty as the new stuff you see in China. That's ok though, the industrial aesthetic is Chicago as much as second empire is Paris. It defines the place and has now been embraced by our city rather than rejected as a sign of blight. That's the greatest thing about what is going on in the West Loop and other areas. We are reviving these buildings and infrastructure to preserve it for posterity.
I agree completely. I much prefer the integrated industrial look of 19th Century Chicago to the post modern and modernist look of China's newer cities. But I also like dark bleak places, old castles and rainy days - not sure why I moved to Southern California...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 8:41 PM

What's the momentum of floors being added? 1 floor every 2 weeks?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
c’mon cladding
On the webcam for several days there's been a bunch of rectangular packages wrapped in plastic in the middle of the podium. They look like the typical shipment of glass cladding. I wouldn't be surprised if cladding starts pretty soon.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 9:51 PM

Also on the webcam I noticed Mchugh has some blue equipment on a flatbed on upper wacker. Could this possibly be crane assembly for Gems?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for clarifying my obvious point to others.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Also on the webcam I noticed Mchugh has some blue equipment on a flatbed on upper wacker. Could this possibly be crane assembly for Gems?
McHugh isn't building GEMS, I think that's Power Cos.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for clarifying my obvious point to others.
I was just clarifying it for the urban politician who's reply to your post was:
"Chicago was building multi decked roads when China was still in diapers"

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I was just clarifying it for the urban politician who's reply to your post was:
"Chicago was building multi decked roads when China was still in diapers"
Oh I know - I just don't know how anybody could take "This place has areas with underpasses that aren't scary on purpose" and turn it into "This place was building underpasses first!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction