HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:28 PM
we built this city

Would be a cool tenant for the nova centre... Unfortunately that is the only building built or proposed that is anything close to that type of urbanity in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:41 PM

Apple Store layout for Halifax Shopping Centre

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...-store-layout/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:50 PM

Woo, a big plus for Halifax!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Lots of Apple stores are like that. There are some interesting ones (like the Fifth Avenue store) but also plenty of standard mall stores.
Yeah I'm pretty sure form scanning the locations list that the majority of the Apple Store locations in North America are inside shopping malls, not the iconic flagship stores we all picture in our heads.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post

So, store completion by July 1st, with a probable opening before the fall. Sounds damn good to me!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
What happens to all the stores that have closed or are closing in HSC? Not all closed because of poor sales. Is it too late to see a slight re-vamp of the Old Village at Bayers Rd. I know the majority is business but it would be cool to see some minor retail come back.
I think Bayer's Road would be better used (based on what's going on there now) as a mixed use development. Cut back the area that would be a 'mall' so that you'd have some retail there, but build a couple apartment towers above, along with perhaps one more office tower.

You would then have the benefit of a potential live/work situation. Plus you'd have the transit stop there too. Considering capital health took over the old food court in the centre and the space above it, I don't think there is much room left for a mall. The lower level still has the bowling alley and then 'back end' (where the NSLC used to be) is an ESL school.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure form scanning the locations list that the majority of the Apple Store locations in North America are inside shopping malls, not the iconic flagship stores we all picture in our heads.
That being said, a developer was trying to get Apple to open on Spring Garden Road. That would have been great, but I think it would have taken several years to build whereas the mall space only required a few months for renos.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think Bayer's Road would be better used (based on what's going on there now) as a mixed use development. Cut back the area that would be a 'mall' so that you'd have some retail there, but build a couple apartment towers above, along with perhaps one more office tower.
I think Bayers, HSC, and the West End Mall should all build residential towers. They make a ton of sense given the transit service and retail available in those locations.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:44 PM
we built this city

Quote:
I think Bayers, HSC, and the West End Mall should all build residential towers. They make a ton of sense given the transit service and retail available in those locations.
Totally, more towers around West End Mall is a great idea.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:

Comments at iphoneincanada.ca indicate that it's going to be like the Vancouver store. http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...grand-opening/

If so, Yawn. Not much different than a Downeast mobility or similar.

Too bad, I had envisioned the store as the Flagship for the Atlantic region with distinctive architecture.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
Too bad, I had envisioned the store as the Flagship for the Atlantic region with distinctive architecture.
Lighthouses!!!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Lighthouses!!!
Here is the process I envision:

1) Apple wants to open a store.
2) Locals say that it must respect local history. Therefore, it must be a lighthouse.
3) Lighthouses are too tall, so the building is scaled down to resemble a squashed lighthouse.
4) Local planning rules stipulate that new buildings must include public art, so a smaller lighthouse is planned for the sidewalk area in front of the lighthouse.
5) Somebody at City Hall discovers a document from the 70's stating that the chosen location should be a playground, even though there is another playground across the street. City denies planning application.
6) Apple builds another store in Toronto and makes lots of money.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I remember in the "community visioning" exercises for Spryfield, there was interest in putting residential towers (!) above South Centre Mall and redeveloping the street side of the parking lot to bring some retail up to the street. This was a few years ago and I found it very forward-thinking for its time (this was around the same "era" when Twisted Sisters was first proposed, for example). Sadly, nothing has come of it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Comments at iphoneincanada.ca indicate that it's going to be like the Vancouver store. http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...grand-opening/

If so, Yawn. Not much different than a Downeast mobility or similar.

They've updated the Halifax Apple store blog. It's going to be like a larger version of the Oakridge Centre store.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Are the escalators going to be where Perks is current located? What is happening to the former Sony space (between Sears & Coles)?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
Are the escalators going to be where Perks is current located? What is happening to the former Sony space (between Sears & Coles)?
I'm not sure where the escalators will be, but the former Sony space will be a flagship Head Shoppe location. It will be relocating from the lower level.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:50 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Here is the process I envision:

1) Apple wants to open a store.
2) Locals say that it must respect local history. Therefore, it must be a lighthouse.
3) Lighthouses are too tall, so the building is scaled down to resemble a squashed lighthouse.
4) Local planning rules stipulate that new buildings must include public art, so a smaller lighthouse is planned for the sidewalk area in front of the lighthouse.
5) Somebody at City Hall discovers a document from the 70's stating that the chosen location should be a playground, even though there is another playground across the street. City denies planning application.
6) Apple builds another store in Toronto and makes lots of money.

What scares me is this isn't far from reality given each of those points were an aspect of some development (or lack thereof) processes.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
They've updated the Halifax Apple store blog. It's going to be like a larger version of the Oakridge Centre store.
Basically a wider version of the Vancouver store then. Still not much different that a traditional cellphone store in my opinion. No interesting design features there.

If there was a glass wall to the outside or something, maybe... But as it appears now there is nothing really differentiating the Apple store from any other technology store ("genius" bar and Apple focus exempted). I expected better at least in design terms.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Basically a wider version of the Vancouver store then. Still not much different that a traditional cellphone store in my opinion. No interesting design features there.

If there was a glass wall to the outside or something, maybe... But as it appears now there is nothing really differentiating the Apple store from any other technology store ("genius" bar and Apple focus exempted). I expected better at least in design terms.
I think the rumors got out of hand and we had the idea that it was going to be some amazing, one-of-a-kind store only for Halifax. I believed that for a while, but really it was unrealistic to expect that in Halifax (and not the much larger cities). I'm just glad we are getting an Apple Store finally!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:16 PM

Quote:
I think the rumors got out of hand and we had the idea that it was going to be some amazing, one-of-a-kind store only for Halifax. I believed that for a while, but really it was unrealistic to expect that in Halifax (and not the much larger cities). I'm just glad we are getting an Apple Store finally!
I agree. And while it's great to get an Apple store, the rumors had me envisioning a two story glass fronted masterpiece of Apple's famous design skills.

Would it be prudent for Halifax? Im not sure, but it would have added to the "upmarketing" of the HSC and served to draw people into the mall.

I's imagine that HSC would have given Apple free reign to do whatever they wanted to the exterior of the mall, considering the prestige of getting the only Apple store in the maritimes. I just see it as opportunity wasted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General