HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:04 PM

Call me old-fashioned, but I like visiting a bookstore, spending a couple of hours browsing around and chatting with staff and fellow customers, then purchase my books, take them home and start reading right away. Its much more preferable to sitting on your fat arse in front of a computer and ordering books online, then wait Lord-knows how long for delivery.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I had little or no reason to go to Whyte Avenue with Chapters, nothing changes with a Winners. whoop dee doo.

People expressing their disappointment online lamenting the loss of destination retail while waiting for their Amazon order to complete in another browser. lolz.
I also remember those who were upset by Chapters coming on to Whyte Avenue in the first place.

I am glad that the retail space will not remain empty for an extended period of time. I think Winners will add to the current crop of clothing stores quite nicely and add to the shopping experience. With Lululemon, Gravitypope and the many independent clothing shops, there might actually be more of a reason for someone who is shopping for clothes to head to Whyte Avenue now.

I hope the old Keg location gets leased soon as well. Still is a great restaurant location. Anyone know why they left? Too expensive?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:32 PM

I worry about Army and Navy's ability to compete with Winners.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:05 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I worry about Army and Navy's ability to compete with Winners.

They don't compete. Way different clientele. Army and Navy is a one off and always will be, I grew up with them. They will always have their own customers.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:50 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
I hope the old Keg location gets leased soon as well. Still is a great restaurant location. Anyone know why they left? Too expensive?
To focus on their 'market' which they believe is in the suburbs.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
To focus on their 'market' which they believe is in the suburbs.
Plus, I hear, it needed a ton of upgrades...

Still waiting on their new DT location to open......not even under construction yet....but

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:44 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
Plus, I hear, it needed a ton of upgrades...

Still waiting on their new DT location to open......not even under construction yet....but
Is the Downtown location happening for sure?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:02 PM
Community Guy

The Oliver sq one?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Is the Downtown location happening for sure?
Do you know something planned for downtown by the Keg? News to me. There is something planned in Queen Mary Community .... in the Oliver Square Development.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Do you know something planned for downtown by the Keg? News to me. There is something planned in Queen Mary Community .... in the Oliver Square Development.
Yeah the Oliver Sq. location - sorry - to me....that's DT.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 5:25 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Yeah the Oliver Sq. location - sorry - to me....that's DT.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. Wish there was an actual Downtown location in the works as well...

I heard rumors a couple of months ago that Cactus Club was looking to open in or near the Ice District. I am not sure if it would be a new location or a relocation of one of their existing locations. Has anyone else heard about this too?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:26 PM

^ need to get some of these mainstream places downtown. Seems to be plenty of spaces they can occupy

And no Dairy Queen! Used to have one in the basement of City Center mall. Come on people!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. Wish there was an actual Downtown location in the works as well...

I heard rumors a couple of months ago that Cactus Club was looking to open in or near the Ice District. I am not sure if it would be a new location or a relocation of one of their existing locations. Has anyone else heard about this too?
I'd hope it wouldn't be a relocation...they only have 2 in the city. Wondering if their store on Jasper - if they're regretting building it there now...since it is on the cusp on the post-apocalyptic zone of Jasper.....sales I'd imagine would be better if the store was elsewhere....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 8:28 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
I'd hope it wouldn't be a relocation...they only have 2 in the city. Wondering if their store on Jasper - if they're regretting building it there now...since it is on the cusp on the post-apocalyptic zone of Jasper.....sales I'd imagine would be better if the store was elsewhere....
I heard that Stantec employees were a huge market for them when they were located in the Devonian Building. Since they all moved to the Ice District, I wonder how business has been during the weekdays? If I were Cactus, I'd move to the Ice District as well and follow the crowds.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I heard that Stantec employees were a huge market for them when they were located in the Devonian Building. Since they all moved to the Ice District, I wonder how business has been during the weekdays? If I were Cactus, I'd move to the Ice District as well and follow the crowds.
I don't know about Cactus Club but when I was with Stantec, the second cup and PressD were the go to places as were other small rest in the area.

PressD is closed now and Second Cup is thinking if Jasper is redeveloped they may close that location.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 10:04 PM

from WEM facebook page

Quote:
West Edmonton Mall
1 hr ·
Swipe for the news you’ve all been waiting for – on September 27, Uniqlo Canada will officially be opening at WEM on Level Two, Phase II near the Mayfield Toyota Ice Palace! Stay tuned for all the grand opening details coming soon. #UNIQLOWEM

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Quote:
They're still close to other employment centres. The old Stantec office had a new major tenant almost right away.

But our group at Stantec went to Local, and they still do due to a lack of suitable places around Ice District capable of accommodating 20-30 people in one group.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton