HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 3:51 PM

Worst Kept Secret...one hell of a rumour

The thread title says it all.

A very credible poster at GamesBids, who I believe is also a member here in this forum, has posted this:

Quote:
'Orangevest' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:53 PM' post='201570'
I am pleased to announce though that Vancouver will be hosting the 2011 RBC Open.

Also there is talks about Vancouver hosting the Superbowl post 2011, the province has offered the stadium for free to the NFL, the province would eat the costs of the rental with all proceeds going to the league, including a cut of the concessions. the Province wants to show off its new stadium and capitalize on the Vancouver name brand. Apparently there is no talk what so ever of getting a team, this is strictly a one off. The province has been told by the league that it's very doubtful for a non-market team to host the big show but maybe the $$$ might tempt them.

Obviously, I'm hoping this is all true though I can't help but question whether this is troll bate [...for towerguy]. (and it's also still a bit too early to be an April Fools joke)

Gee....showing off a new stadium, if only that were for 2010. Weren't some politicians, way back in 2002, saying that BC Place should host the Olympic ceremonies as its "farewell party" before it is demolished? A final goodbye?? Talk about reverse logic.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 3:53 PM

huh?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:10 PM
victory in near

ooohhhh, Superbowl in vancouver!! that would be HUGE!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:20 PM
testify

couldn't ever happen. but hosting an nfl exhibition game might happen, in fact, they might even be able to score a league game with the right incentives (i.e. paying a hell of a lot, something like what you've got here).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:24 PM
Hello World

Why not do a Lions VS NFL cross-league game and watch our Lions get destroyed ?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:38 PM

Will never happen. The end.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 5:51 PM

It will not happen

The NFL sets a minimum stadium seating capacity of 70,000 (this does include temporary seats, but given the cofiiguration of the dome, there's no way they could get an extra 10,000 temporary seats in there.

A pre-season game is another thing altogether, although Roger Goddell's recent comments regarding expanding the regular season by two games (copying the CFL once again ) means that it would be highly unlikely that a team (Seattle) would move its only pre-season game to a different host city. But, then again, money talks and if some Vancouver business person wants to pull a Ted Rogers and pay the Seahawks a tidy sum to host a pre- or regular-season game at BC Place, you never know.

Last edited by mrjauk; Mar 31, 2009 at 6:16 PM. Reason: Add the word minimum

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 5:58 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
The NFL sets a stadium seating capacity of 70,000 (this does include temporary seats, but given the cofiiguration of the dome, there's no way they could get an extra 10,000 temporary seats in there.
i doubt this as well,

however, the new renos will be bringing the seats closer to the field. i assume this will add significantly more seating capacity.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:37 PM

i.e. soccer fields and NFL fields are smaller than CFL fields...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:37 PM
Registered Loser

there has already been an american exhibition game in vancouver... i went to it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 6:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Why not forget about the NFL and spend money on real things like housing and services for the city's many drug addicts?

There needs to be some sports and recreation funding but, umm.. the city's already working on the Olympics.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Why not forget about the NFL and spend money on real things like housing and services for the city's many drug addicts?

There needs to be some sports and recreation funding but, umm.. the city's already working on the Olympics.
Oh for Gods sake.

Yep, you could definitely pass as a born and bred bleeding heart Vancouverite.

Vancouver already spends way too much trying to combat that never ending problem. And we can never get anything "nice" because someone like you pops along saying "Spend it on the homeless instead!"

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Oh for Gods sake.

Yep, you could definitely pass as a born and bred bleeding heart Vancouverite.

Vancouver already spends way too much trying to combat that never ending problem. And we can never get anything "nice" because someone like you pops along saying "Spend it on the homeless instead!"
The problem is not that we're not spending enough on the homeless as much as we're spending it unwisely, uneconomically, and stupidly.

But if someone were to come along and propose solutions that actually worked, I fear that those of your political ilk (and I'm basing my view of your political proclivities on your response to the other poster--"bleeding heart") would decry them.

To solve the problem it's necessary to take a holistic (and radical) approach to the problem, but that would cause all of the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" types to foam at the mouth in anger.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 10:06 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

was waiting for someone to spoil a fun idea for funding of the homeless.

anyhow, i think the Leo's should play the Detroit Lions in a home and home pre-game series. though, the idea of having the Superbowl here post 2011 would kick royal ass!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 10:31 PM

Toronto would get the Superbowl long before Vancouver ever would, given they are actually getting some regular season Bills games. I think the chances of Toronto ever getting the SB is a quite the long shot - thinking Vancouver has a chance is bordering on ridiculous. Maybe a preseason game, perhaps a regular season game, but that is where it would end.

I Hope I'm wrong though.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 11:09 PM

There's no way the SuperBowl is coming to BC Place. Not enough seating, and well, it just ain't happening. As much as I'd LOOVE to have the SuperBowl here in Vancouver - I agree with the above poster, in that Toronto would probably get a Superbowl before Vancouver ever does. They even have Bills regular season games coming to town. Vancouver is just not NFL material.

But I certainly hope that I'm wrong.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 11:10 PM

I have a feeling even the Detroit Lions would shutout the BC Lions.

CFL is not even close to the same league. You still have to be an athlete to be in the NFL.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I have a feeling even the Detroit Lions would shutout the BC Lions.

CFL is not even close to the same league. You still have to be an athlete to be in the NFL.
I have to agree. CFL is nowhere close to the NFL. But the CFL is Canada's top tier, major football league. If, however, you look at north american football on this continent, then the CFL would be considered a second rated league, because the NFL would be the top tier football league in north america - this is IF looked on from a continental perspective.

too bad Vancouver will never get an NFL franchise, even with a new, and renovated BC Place stadium.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 12:09 AM

April Fool's!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation