HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 9:15 PM

Goose Hollow News

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:36 AM

Developments in Goose Hollow

Some of the planned and current developments in Goose Hollow (from the goosehollow.org website) -- link here.

There is also a project (5 floors -- 53 micro-apartments -- 200sf average) planned by Koz Development for the narrow surface parking lot at 2167 SW Yamhill.

Last edited by Rhome; Dec 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 8:01 AM
A before E

Wow, I didn't realize how much activity was going on in Goose Hollow. Shame that it seems like none of these buildings have retail on the first level, especially the one on Jefferson.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 1:05 PM

Wow, I didn't know about some of these either. Isn't the one on Columbia already under construction?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:17 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
There is also a project (5 floors -- 53 micro-apartments -- 200sf average) planned by Koz Development for the narrow surface parking lot at 2167 SW Yamhill.
Yikes. Even by NYC standards, that's tiny. Is it student housing?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Yikes. Even by NYC standards, that's tiny. Is it student housing?
According to Koz, it is for "young professionals" with an average salary in the $30k range , and with an average stay (judging by their other properties) of just over a year.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 7:58 PM

There's also 1501 SW Taylor, which is just starting the Design Review process. Request for Response here [PDF - small].

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 7:35 PM

Redundundant headline.

Quote:
Neighbors dig in their heels against MAC Club's development plans

Goose Hollow neighbors opposed to the Multnomah Athletic Club’s plans to develop a nearby property into apartments further solidified their position with this week with a vote against a key zoning change.

Members of the Goose Hollow Foothills League neighborhood association met Oct. 8 and voted 109 to seven to oppose the rezoning of Block 7 from residential to commercial. Neighbors against the rezoning, which would pave the way for development, say changing the zoning violates the master plan for the area and does not jibe with the city’s comprehensive goals.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:39 PM

So micro housing is basically living in a United Colors of Benetton ad?

Quote:
Tiny apartments could bring more Millennials to downtown Portland

If micro-housing can find a real home anywhere, Portland may be just the place.

Spartan apartments of around 200 square feet or so are proving attractive options to the city's growing number of Millennials, said Cathy Reines, CEO of Portland-based Koz Development. Members of that generation, ranging in age from roughly 18 to 35 or so, are attracted to urban areas, but they can't afford downtown's pricey rents for larger apartments.

"Micro-housing gives them the solution for living downtown because it's more affordable," said Reines, who spoke earlier this week at Multifamily NW's Fall 2014 Apartment Report breakfast.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:10 PM

^^^Funny picture!

Here's an image of that planned micro-apartment project:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:33 PM

Type II Design Review [PDF, small] for a nice little fourplex project at SW 18th & Market, by William Tripp.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:11 AM

Staff Report [PDF, small] recommends approval for new building at 1501 SW Taylor. Final decision is by the Design Commission.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
REACH converts grants, credits to two affordable housing projects

The 1905 Bronaugh Apartments in Goose Hollow. REACH Community Developments intends a full renovation, including a seismic upgrade. (Mike Francis / The Oregonian)

By Mike Francis | mfrancis@oregonian.com

REACH Community Development Corp. said Friday it will renovate the historic Bronaugh Apartments in Goose Hollow and launch a second phase of construction of affordable units at Orenco, in Hillsboro.

The two projects were made possible by almost $18 million in federal grants and tax credits awarded through the state to the non-profit group.

...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:32 AM

I love it when non-profits work within the modern paradigm of housing as a right and building up low income housing stock. I'd love to keep hearing more good stuff about REACH.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Developers seek approval for six-story apartment building in Goose Hollow

A six-story, 61-unit apartment building may fill a vacant lot and a site currently occupied by a 1900 house across from the KGW studios on Southwest Jefferson Street in Goose Hollow.

Plans submitted to the city's Bureau of Development Services show the developers hope to build a metal-and-concrete structure with a courtyard roughly in the middle of the mostly commercial block.

Apartments in the Portland-Vancouver area have a vacancy rate of 3.66 percent, although downtown vacancies are higher, at 5.2 percent, according to Multifamily NW's latest Apartment Report. Downtown apartments also command the area's highest rents, at $1.97 a square foot, the report notes.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Nov 25, 2014 at 1:32 AM. Reason: The Oregonian found a better image

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:37 AM

Design Review drawings [PDF, 12MB] for the above project. Due before the Design Commission December 11th.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:19 PM

We need the density.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 2:21 AM

I actually live directly right next door to the development being planned on 1450 SW Jefferson, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be horrible. I think it's really interesting that the Oregonian article states;

"...developers hope to build a metal-and-concrete structure with a courtyard roughly in the middle of the mostly commercial block."

Which is partially true, since most of the residential buildings got rezoned to Commercial in the 80s, but also mostly untrue because almost all of the block is full of affordable housing occupied by PSU students. The only commercial is a yoga studio, a bar, an engineering office and the title company up next to 405. The three story Victorian I live in is zoned Cx, as are many of the other residential buildings on the block. That hasn't really been a problem, except for the fact that the 1450 development is allowed to build straight up to the property line when abutting a non-residential zoned property. The rendering shown in the picture is somewhat deceptive when you contrast it with the actual documents that show that they plan on occupying every single possible cubic foot, especially since the plans I saw didn't have any sort of courtyard involved. If my house was included in the rendering, you'd realize that that western walkway will essentially be a canyon between the two structures.

Really though, the above is just petty concerns with a development going up next to my house, and the hassles that'll cause. The house occupying the space is decrepit and literally falling down, and the empty lot is known on the block as the "Street Kid Congress". My main actual concern with the plans center around the fact that it'll compete mangle the parking situation. I know it's a common refrain, but I already have to park more than a block away most of the days, and if I make the mistake of driving when there's a Timbers game, I usually have to park AT LEAST 5 blocks away. Jefferson street parking is usually full on any weekday by 8am from all the Lincoln High kids as well. Very few of the onstreet spots are resident zoned parking, and most of it is 1-2 hour spots. Adding 66 new units without parking is going to be an uproarious joke, and I can only hope it gets forced to change, especially since the topography of the site would make on-grade entry to a partially underground parking area incredibly simple while still allowing folks to have front doors that open out onto the street level. But, that adds cost to the construction of course.

I've been told that the old house is coming down in March, and if I'm still around I'll keep yall up to date with pictures. As far as the construction on Columbia, on the other side of the block, it's proceeding along now that they disassembled the Queen Anne and prepared the site. They just finished pouring the foundation the other day and they just moved a mobile hut on site to manage the project. It's another EKOHaus, but I haven't looked too far into the specific plans on it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
We need the density.
And density is no excuse for poor design and shoddy neighborhood integration. If one looks past maximizing a plan for the highest possible density, you can still walk away with good density and a successful building. Livability is a quality that many folks desire as well, and should be taken into account for those that already live in the neighborhood as well as the new neighbors that would occupy these new developments.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 1:10 AM

Serious question: if you object to this proposal, why are you telling us about it, and not the Bureau of Development Services? I've just read the staff report [PDF, 3MB], which recommends approval, and at the time of publication no written comments had been received.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland