HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mohawk College

Premier delivers $9.2m for Mohawk apprentices

August 20, 2008
The Canadian Press

More Hamilton-area students will get the skills they need to find good jobs with help from the Ontario government.

The province is investing $9.2 million in a new centre dedicated to growing the number of skilled apprentices in Ontario’s burgeoning transportation industry.

The Gerald Marshall Transportation Centre will house new equipment, labs and a shop able to accommodate up to three full-sized tractor trailers.

Students will train for careers as auto mechanics, truck and coach technicians, and servicers. The building’s official opening is slated for September 2009.

The centre is part of a larger renovation project that will transform Mohawk’s Stoney Creek campus into a major centre for skilled trades training and apprenticeships.

Once complete, the new space will allow Mohawk to increase enrolment in skilled trades programs to 870 a year. It will also grow apprenticeship opportunities in the region by 35 per cent - or more than 3,500 students a year.

"The skilled trades are the place to be. We have the jobs, but we need the people to fill them. Now, Mohawk College will be able to train more students to go onto fulfilling careers," said Premier Dalton McGuinty.

"We’re investing in the skills and knowledge of our people so they can work in high-paying, skilled jobs that will strengthen our economy and improve everyone’s quality of life," said Ted McMeekin, MPP Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale.

"This investment is great news for our community - it will create jobs in the short-term and help students develop the skills they need to succeed in the future," said Sophia Aggelonitis, MPP Hamilton Mountain.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 9:43 PM

and yet..Fennell Campus is a huge hole which is timelocked in the 1970s and still nothing is changing there (as far as i know)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
and yet..Fennell Campus is a huge hole which is timelocked in the 1970s and still nothing is changing there (as far as i know)
well they added that fancy (and somewhat useless) I-wing a few years ago.. I think that counts.. It doesn't look that bad from Fennell

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 10:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

I believe they are renovating the A-Wing, I know a bunch of classes/office space got relocated because of it. Think they are trying to renovate all hallways the same as the C-Wing on the main floor.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:56 AM
Closed account

please build some of this new stuff downtown for pete's sake. A new campus would be awesome.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 4:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Metrolinx boss to be new Mohawk prez
Rob MasIsaac takes over Feb. 1, 2009

November 06, 2008
By Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator

Former Burlington mayor and GTA transport chief Rob MacIsaac has a new job: president of Mohawk College.

MacIsaac was confirmed as president this morning in a move that has taken many by surprise. He takes over Feb. 1, 2009.

While he is considered an outsider to the college, MacIsaac is also broadly recognized as a strong leader and consensus builder whose profile and provincial connections could bode well for the college’s future.

He appointment also raises questions about  Hamilton’s aspirations for a light rail transit link across the city.

The Burlington lawyer has been deeply involved in planning major rapid-transit projects across the GTA and Hamilton as chairman of Metrolinx, the province’s transportation planning agency.

Because of his familiarity with Hamilton and good relationship with Hamilton mayor Fred Eisenberger, MacIsaac has been considered a key ally in the city’s aspirations to establish provincially-funded light rail transit links across the city, starting with an east-west line that would run from Eastgate Square to McMaster University.

The link is considered critical to the city’s economic renewal, particulary in the lower city.

MacIsaac hinted that Hamilton funding would surface in the latter years of the 2009-13 budget, coming this fall.

MacIsaac will replace MaryLynn West-Moynes, who declined to accept a second- five-year term as  president so she could return to Durham region and be closer to her family there. She is to become vice-president for external relations at the Ontario Institute of Technology in Oshawa. Her Mohawk term expires at the end of this month.

MacIsaac was bornin 1962. He graduated from  the University of Waterloo with an econmics degree in 1984 before studing law at the University of Western Otnario, where he graduated in 1987.

MacIsaac was elected to Burliington council in 1991. He was elected mayor in 1997 and served three terms, ending in 2006, before becoming the first chairman of Metrolinx.

He  lives in Burlington with his wife Anne. They have two children, Sarah and Catherine.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 6:26 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Metrolinx boss to be new Mohawk prez
Rob MasIsaac takes over Feb. 1, 2009

November 06, 2008
By Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator

Former Burlington mayor and GTA transport chief Rob MacIsaac has a new job: president of Mohawk College.

MacIsaac was confirmed as president this morning in a move that has taken many by surprise. He takes over Feb. 1, 2009.

While he is considered an outsider to the college, MacIsaac is also broadly recognized as a strong leader and consensus builder whose profile and provincial connections could bode well for the college’s future.

He appointment also raises questions about  Hamilton’s aspirations for a light rail transit link across the city.

The Burlington lawyer has been deeply involved in planning major rapid-transit projects across the GTA and Hamilton as chairman of Metrolinx, the province’s transportation planning agency.

Because of his familiarity with Hamilton and good relationship with Hamilton mayor Fred Eisenberger, MacIsaac has been considered a key ally in the city’s aspirations to establish provincially-funded light rail transit links across the city, starting with an east-west line that would run from Eastgate Square to McMaster University.

The link is considered critical to the city’s economic renewal, particulary in the lower city.

MacIsaac hinted that Hamilton funding would surface in the latter years of the 2009-13 budget, coming this fall.

MacIsaac will replace MaryLynn West-Moynes, who declined to accept a second- five-year term as  president so she could return to Durham region and be closer to her family there. She is to become vice-president for external relations at the Ontario Institute of Technology in Oshawa. Her Mohawk term expires at the end of this month.

MacIsaac was bornin 1962. He graduated from  the University of Waterloo with an econmics degree in 1984 before studing law at the University of Western Otnario, where he graduated in 1987.

MacIsaac was elected to Burliington council in 1991. He was elected mayor in 1997 and served three terms, ending in 2006, before becoming the first chairman of Metrolinx.

He  lives in Burlington with his wife Anne. They have two children, Sarah and Catherine.
Wow! Great news for Mohawk College, Great news for Hamilton, Ontario!!!

This man is a great leader and would make a GREAT Mayor for Hamilton!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

MacIsaac gives new boost to Mohawk

February 02, 2009
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/505819

The way Rob MacIsaac sees it, this is Hamilton's time, and that makes it Mohawk College's time.

The way Mohawk College sees it, this is Rob MacIsaac's time.

Today is MacIsaac's first day on the job as Mohawk's seventh president, when he'll tour its main campuses in Hamilton, Stoney Creek and Brantford, introducing himself to faculty, staff and students.

They'll be meeting a man who is known to be understated but intense, a quick study and a consensus-building leader who has already excelled in several disciplines.

He is an outsider to the college system, but highly connected to the circles of government and business where colleges find funding and jobs for their students.

He brings to the job what he calls an "unshakable confidence" in the future of Hamilton, and sees Mohawk playing an important role in restoring prosperity to the city and its neighbours.

Those who know him say it likely won't be long before he starts bringing change to the college.

MacIsaac has spent the last month studying documents and reports and meeting with college and other leaders.

"My best approach to going into situations calmly is to make sure that I've done my homework," he said. "When I'm sitting at a table, I like to be the guy who's thought about all the questions before I got there."

MacIsaac says Mohawk already has momentum, solid management and academic depth,and he is eager to help the college reach higher by exploring new forms of teaching and bringing its aging facilities up to date.

But meeting those goals will require skill and diplomacy. Economic upheaval is expected to drive more students to the college for training and retraining, just as the same upheaval shrivels the revenues of the provincial government -- its primary funder.

MacIsaac, a curler and golfer who likes to cook and play music when he can, turns 47 this month.

MacIsaac comes to the job with an impressive resume. He's a lawyer who became a Burlington city councillor, then served three terms as that city's mayor.

He was an architect of Ontario's Smart Growth strategy and its Greenbelt plan.

Most recently, he was in charge of setting up what is now called Metrolinx -- the provincial agency responsible for planning transportation across the GTA and Hamilton over the next 25 years, which finalized its $50-billion blueprint last September.

Last summer, MacIsaac was watching one of his two teenage daughters play soccer in Brantford when his cellphone rang.

It was a consultant for the college, wondering if he might think about standing as a candidate to replace MaryLynn West-Moynes, who had declined a second five-year term as Mohawk president to return to her family home in Durham region.

The idea of leading the college intrigued MacIsaac, who believes education is critical to building cities.

"The college can be a catalyst to getting the city from where it is today to where it it's going to be," he said. "People should be so excited about what the possibilities are here in Hamilton. It has such great bones: the architecture, the clusters that have started. It already is a great place, but it can be such a special place within the region moving forward, and I just think it's a matter of time."

The college is in the perfect place, he says, to supply the knowledge and the personnel to convert Hamilton's heavy manufacturing base into a broader, more flexible local economy, where technology and health care join old and new manufacturing to pull the city up.

Terry Cooke, the former chairman of Hamilton-Wentworth region, sits with MacIsaac on the board of the Canadian Urban Institute. He admits being surprised by his friend's "non-traditional career move".

But the more he thought about it, the more MacIsaac's decision made sense. Cooke believes MacIsaac could do for Mohawk what Peter George has done for McMaster by developing relationships between the university, governments, industry leaders and philanthropists.

"In the course of a career of public service, this is one of the places where he could leave a lasting mark," Cooke said. "In a time in which the need to deal with funders -- particularly the province -- is going to be critical, he's probably better positioned than anybody I can think of."

One reason MacIsaac believes Hamilton can grow quickly through education is Mohawk's positive working relationship with McMaster University, with cross-pollination already happening in nursing and technology.

"When you look across the province, there is a fair bit of sniping between the university and the college sector," MacIsaac said.

"That's not something that I think exists between our two institutions. It's a pretty special relationship that we have here, and it's one we have to nurture."

MacIsaac says it's past time to update Mohawk's facilities -- especially its central campus on Fennell Avenue West -- by building new spaces for students to gather and interact, and literally turning the main entrance around so it faces Fennell instead of a parking lot.

"This is our flagship, and I want it to be something that the city, the alumni, the students and the faculty are proud of," he said.

It won't be long before the new president starts taking action, Cooke predicts.

"In everything I've watched him do, he's cautious initially and careful to gather intelligence from a broad range of sources, but once he gets a sense of what needs to be done, he's not afraid of taking on institutional reform."

MacIsaac absorbs and analyses new information very quickly, says Michael Fenn, a former Burlington city manager, provincial deputy minister and Hamilton-Wentworth CAO who is now CEO of Metrolinx, where MacIsaac will remain chairman of the board.

He said MacIsaac simultaneously establishes a broad horizon while concentrating on customer service, a rare dual focus that produces strong results.

"He's very good at translating things into what they mean to the person you're ultimately serving," Fenn said.

"He's one of these leaders who leads from the middle rather than from the front," Fenn said, "and I think that makes him much more effective."

Those are qualities that pushed MacIsaac to the top of the list said Allan Greve, chairman of Mohawk's selection committee.

"We were looking for a leader. Hopefully we're going to see Mohawk at the top rung of all the colleges in the province. That's why we hired him."

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 5:02 PM

That's awesome news for Mohawk. It is odd that the main entrance faces the inside of the campus, and the facilities are pretty aged, so it's good that he's focusing on those two issues

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:59 AM

outside of the i-wing..that whole campus should be razed and rebuilt...

or at least gutted and completely renoed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:45 PM
Needs more coffee...

As far as renovations, it would also be nice for Mohawk to look and feel more like a college instead of a high school with lockers lining the walls and a giant cafeteria.

I'm not saying the programs and faculty aren't very good, but the facility itself sends no visual cues to incoming students that it's a place to gain adult skills, responsibilities, or perspectives.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 3:59 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
I'm not saying the programs and faculty aren't very good, but the facility itself sends no visual cues to incoming students that it's a place to gain adult skills, responsibilities, or perspectives.
I was at Mohawk last week and made the grave mistake of walking into the cafeteria through the checkout (I was trying to break a $5 to use the payphone). No less than three employees jumped up to inform me that I was not allowed to enter the cafeteria this way. I walked in anyway, and the cashier looked at me and said, "Well, I guess you wouldn't be expected to know." (Jeez, do I look that old?)

A moment later, two students carrying trays walked in the same way and a guy who looked like a security guard physically barred their path, ordering them to go around to the entrance - and not to bring in any food unless they wanted to pay for it a second time.

When people complain about the vagaries of aging, events like this help to remind me of how much I resented being a second-class citizen when I was still a late teen / young adult.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

I always thought Mohawk College was a huge high school. Same setup.

But they have done some nice renovation lately, main floor of G wing and the tv room. The Student Centre is tiny. I graduated before the renovation to the A wing so I don't know what that is like.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 2:57 PM

Mohawk is very similar to the Ontario colleges I've seen (St. Clair, Lambton, and Fanshawe)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Mohawk is very similar to the Ontario colleges I've seen (St. Clair, Lambton, and Fanshawe)
fanshawe has been completely gutted and renovated the last 5 years from end to end.

It's a beautiful college nowadays.

at mohawk..we can't even get a new gym for pete's sakes.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Whoa whoa whoa hold up....you don't have a cellphone? haha

I used to cut through the cafe all the time. My locker was near the cafe.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:41 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Whoa whoa whoa hold up....you don't have a cellphone?
I'm a bitter holdout. The (very) occasional convenience of a cellphone just doesn't justify the minimum $20/month service fee.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 5:52 PM

+1 for no cellphone

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
+1 for no cellphone
Dayyyummm... cell phones are definitely where it's at, especially for the younger generation lol. I'd feel like a part of me was missing if I didn't bring it (similar feeling to when you forget your wallet).

But yeah Mohawk does seem like a giant highschool... although they have taken some proactive steps in recent years. I think the student area is really nice.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Dayyyummm... cell phones are definitely where it's at, especially for the younger generation lol. I'd feel like a part of me was missing if I didn't bring it (similar feeling to when you forget your wallet).
To further the hijack of the thread.

Last week I cancelled my service of 10 years with Telus. I'm now cell phone free, at least for the time being.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues