HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:20 AM
Round Head

such a great project. There looks like very little useable floor area though! The core is massive!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 1:26 AM

Amazing how fast this is going up!

Wish we in the U.S. and even Europe would learn a thing or two from various projects going up in Asia... They whoop us in terms of construction speed. And design, for that matter (for the most part, IMO).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrgeiz91 View Post

Wish we in the U.S. and even Europe would learn a thing or two from various projects going up in Asia... They whoop us in terms of construction speed. And design, for that matter (for the most part, IMO).
So you want us to follow a nation that has no labor unions, that has poor safety and construction records, and mistreats their employees. You have to be kidding me right?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
this is so massive, incredible. cant wait for cladding, best skyscraper in the world!!
The cladding will add an extra layer that will make it look even more massive.
The other two super-tall will appear anemic next to the big one.

It would be nice if a lively, public space, like an open plaza above the roads, was built in the middle of the trio. I can imagine an artificial soil with cafés, boutiques, some greenery and works of art...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 8:09 AM

Quote:

Well China´s economic growth is not comparable with Europe´s or America´s.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
This will be amazing!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
So you want us to follow a nation that has no labor unions, that has poor safety and construction records, and mistreats their employees. You have to be kidding me right?
Of course I don't want that but is that actually the key factor in the speed we're seeing here? And is there any known (not government-stifled) instance of injury or poor safety in this specific project? I wanna see the receipts.

Anywho, I feel like there's a balance between the U.S.'s snails pace and this crazy construction speed, if indeed their lack of regulation is at play here.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Of course I don't want that but is that actually the key factor in the speed we're seeing here? And is there any known (not government-stifled) instance of injury or poor safety in this specific project? I wanna see the receipts.

Anywho, I feel like there's a balance between the U.S.'s snails pace and this crazy construction speed, if indeed their lack of regulation is at play here.
Think of it this way, for the majority of the past few decades, majority of investment has been siphoned towards the eastern/coastal areas. That is only just beginning to change. So it makes sense to see such large scale projects in these cities. These ARE the mega cities of China...we won't see such large growth in the interior cities. Or at least, not quite on this scale.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:38 PM

Found this over at SSC. It has probably been posted before, but in case not this is a great little PDF. http://www.gensler.com/uploads/docum...12_22_2010.pdf

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
Found this over at SSC. It has probably been posted before, but in case not this is a great little PDF. http://www.gensler.com/uploads/docum...12_22_2010.pdf
Awesome find, thanks for sharing. I really love this tower. My only problem with it is that its in Shanghai, and I want it to be built in NYC. I love Shanghai too, so I'm excited to go visit it one day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:33 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
such a great project. There looks like very little useable floor area though! The core is massive!
A bit more than 4 million sq ft. Twice the ESB's total area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:52 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Some relatively recent images from the Interwebs. This thing is HUGE.

January, 17, 2012

Image Source: People's Daily Online

January 17, 2012

Image Source: chinabusinessphilippines.com

January 11, 2012

Image Source: Shanghai Daily
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 11:04 AM

Fantastic photos, Colemonkee

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:21 PM

Aye, great photos. And the Shanghai World Financial Centre looks better every time I see it. Beautiful building.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

For the record, I didn't take those photos, I just ran a simple Google image search. But I hope someday to go to Shanghai. I hope it's as clear as those pictures when I go.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:43 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^It's been really clear the past few days, but it's friggin' cold! I'm considering going out there today, but at -1C/28F, I'm reluctant. Before you all make fun of me, you need to experience -1C with wind in Shanghai. It may sound mild by upper North American winter standards, but man, that shit will cut right through you, and chill the body to it's core.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:48 AM

^do they have central heating in SH buildings? Winter temps here in Nanning hover around 5-10 degrees yet no sun and no heating anywhere makes winters here feel MUCH more colder than the winters I've spent in NY.

I never noticed that this tower will have a two layers of cladding giving it those office atriums. I wonder how that will fly with the tenants. I'm sure some will like the space but perhaps others will complain that their office views would be compromised with that extra layer of glass meters removed from their office windows.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
I never noticed that this tower will have a two layers of cladding giving it those office atriums. I wonder how that will fly with the tenants. I'm sure some will like the space but perhaps others will complain that their office views would be compromised with that extra layer of glass meters removed from their office windows.
That's true.
I remember the first plans of NY's BofA building. There was an atrium that was finally replaced with office space.
In the case of Shanghai Tower, I guess that they'll go through with the design, but, what a loss of space !

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
yea i doubt he means that I dont think anyone would want that here. He just means he wishes construction would move as fast as it does in China but to do that or make it easier we would have to get rid of labor unions, lower safety standards etc. etc.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Breaking news. Well not really, BUT the Shanghai Tower's elevators will be BULLET shaped, to meet maximum speed and safety.

Quote:
They will go 40.2 mph or roughly 59' per second! In comparison, Burj Khalifa's elevators, can only reach speeds up to 26mph

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive