HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:43 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

the NYC subway is in a pathetic state and that times article was spot on. basic clean up, refurbishment was last done in 1972. Crawford, you are smoking some strong shit if you think the NYC subway is anything other than the worst mass transit experience in the country.

I had to walk across the bridge the other day since the 4 train unexpectedly terminated at brooklyn bridge. 10 minute weights are routine. major stations like high street, york street, 42nd street / grand central, brooklyn bridge look like a garbage dump.

MTA management (especially the 2500 subway managers earning more than $300k/year) should be crucified, while being forced to ride the subway. thanks, public sector unions (but scott walker is worse than hitler because he tried to do away with them, according to our wonderful democratic party.

nothing will ever change...any attempt at reform by an elected official will be shot down by the union membership. these lazy shits are cuomo's political base, after all.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:54 AM
The City

^ MTA Managers earn over $300k per year? Damn!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:15 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
thanks, public sector unions (but scott walker is worse than hitler because he tried to do away with them, according to our wonderful democratic party.
Because all public sector unions are exactly the same thing as a transit union in New York.

I hate simplistic opinions like this, which result in voters electing ideological extremists like Walker.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:28 AM
Show me the blueprints

^I was going to move my fingers around my keyboard but you pretty much said exactly what I was going to...

Walker and the Rand cultists like him go after circuit clerk office workers and health department janitors just trying to lead something that resembles a decent middle-class life. If their crusade was about crushing the kind of profane abuse we see in the 300k/year MTA worker example, they'd likely have my support.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:46 AM

new L cars will also soon be built within the city limits by CSR Sifang America.. the series 7000

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...309-story.html

CHicago Tribune story and image credit..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:45 AM
Show me the blueprints

There's another rendering for the 7000 floating around, I'm not sure which one is correct. I like the one posted above ^^^ much better and you can tell the one below looks nearly identical to every other series with only minor flourishes like the LED bezel around the lights. The above rendering just looks slicker and smarter, so of course Cta probably won't do it...

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The author of that NY Times "expose" was Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel. In other words, fakenews.

Chicago-area transit is having a crisis of its own, with Metra continually cutting service and raising fares, and with overall transit ridership experiencing major ridership declines.

In any case, the L, while functional, and reasonably extensive, with third highest ridership in U.S., is probably the least pleasant major urban rail system in the U.S. Running outdoors on rickety wood platforms and in the middle of freeways, it's basically Exhibit A on how not to build urban rail.
Metra has been raising fares, but the fares were far lower than other commuter rail systems (MTA, SEPTA, MBTA) on a per-mile basis. As with CTA, Metra has a backlog of deferred maintenance and capital needs, and hasn't been able to rely on state government funding.

There have been zero service cuts. Metra Electric revised its schedules to prioritize Hyde Park over the rest of the South Side, but the same number of trains are running. Other lines (Rock Island, for one) have actually seen increases in service.

Metra's weekday ridership has been amazingly steady (in absolute numbers) since the 1979 creation of Metra out of the former private railroads. CTA rail ridership is at or enar an all-time high. The decline, to the extent we have one, is concentrated on the bus system. Much of that is based on the ongoing depopulation of the South Side, as well as increasing road congestion and gentrification shifting riders from buses onto trains.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:57 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation