HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6fb7bf8c-a...0779fd2ac.html

A dreaming spire for Manhattan

By Edwin Heathcote
December 4 2007

The proposal, at 53 W. 53rd St, commissioned by real estate firm Hines, comprises 75 storeys of accommodation and, at 350m, pierces the skyline at a height between the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings. It will embrace 5,000 square metres of extra accommodation for MoMA, which will expand into its lower floors, above retail provision, while the upper floors will house a seven-star hotel sharing services with the 120 or so (extremely) top-end condominiums above.

Nouvel runs through a presentation on his laptop, showing proposals for the night-time lighting of the building (“it will make it look like it has blood running through the veins of the structure,” he grins), the extraordinary interiors (“the structure becomes the space, we don’t need interior decorators here,” he grins again) and renderings of the pool and the gallery.
I imagine it would look something like 3 WTC when lit...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
(“it will make it look like it has blood running through the veins of the structure,” he grins)
Oh lord, it just gets more exciting each time. Build it NOW!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Build it NOW!
Yeah, they need to break out those old Jets stadium t-shirts. We should demand this be built immediately.

Similar lighting on both towers would look great.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 8:50 PM

Last edited by MattM; Dec 16, 2007 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 6:25 AM
BANNED

the stuff coming out of nyc right now is blowing me away.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 7:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
the stuff coming out of nyc right now is blowing me away.
Some of the greatest stuff we've seen in years. But the towers I want to see most (the hotel penn, 34th St Penn/MSG towers, Gehry) continue to elude us.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

As we close out 2007, I think its safe to say that 53 W. 53rd was the best
unveiling of the year. It was also the biggest surprise.

__

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 2:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Another look at this beauty from the inside...

worldarchitecturenews.com

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 2:05 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Design-wise, it's the single most exciting project in the USA, bar none, proposed or under construction.

I hope it will have some public spaces, just so it's not exlusively the plaything of the rich... they've got enough toys as it is.

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Dec 26, 2007 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 7:40 PM

this tower is amazing, and the last render looking towards central park is just amazing...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 12:08 AM
Frigidus Maximus

This seems as fitting a thread for this article from the NY Times as any...

December 23, 2007
Architecture

Manhattan’s Year of Building Furiously
By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF

LET’S take a minute to pat ourselves on the backs.

For decades I’ve been whining about how far New York has slipped behind other world cities in the support of serious architecture. While Abu Dhabi, Shanghai, Beijing and even Paris have been pushing the boundaries, churning out one adventurous building after another, our city was wallowing in a swamp of pseudohistoricism and corporate mediocrity that — to skeptics like me, at least — threatened to transform it into a dull theme park for the superrich.

But this year the city may finally have turned a corner. In the past nine months alone New York has witnessed the unveiling of nearly half a dozen major architectural landmarks. Frank Gehry’s headquarters for IAC/InterActiveCorp along the West Side Highway, Jean Nouvel’s luxury residential building in SoHo, Bernard Tschumi’s Blue Building apartments on the Lower East Side and Renzo Piano’s tower for The New York Times may not rank as these architects’ greatest works. But they are serious architecture nonetheless, in an abundance the city hasn’t seen in decades.

And they will soon be joined by some outright gems. Ground has been broken on Mr. Gehry’s Beekman Tower, whose crinkly, titanium facade will rise more than 70 stories over downtown; Mr. Nouvel’s 75-story luxury tower next to the Museum of Modern Art in Midtown promises to be the most mesmerizing addition to the skyline since the Chrysler Building in 1930.

What is more, this flowering was complemented by some architecture exhibitions with provocative subject matter and fine scholarship, defying the common wisdom that architecture’s popular appeal in mainstream culture is somehow a sign of its growing superficiality. A Gordon Matta-Clark retrospective at the Whitney Museum and “Piranesi as Designer,” an elegant little show at the Cooper-Hewitt, showed that architecture’s current obsession with deep psychological forces is part of a historical continuum.

The Museum of Modern Art’s architecture and design department meanwhile seems to have new energy now that Barry Bergdoll has taken over as chief curator. In July it opened the hauntingly gorgeous “Lost Vanguard: Soviet Modernist Architecture, 1922-32,” documenting the decay of buildings from one of the most vibrant periods in 20th-century architecture.

But the revelation of 2007 was “Robert Moses and the Modern City,” staged concurrently at the Queens Museum of Art, the Museum of the City of New York and the Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery at Columbia University. A complex portrait of the man who ruled New York’s urban development for more than half a century, the show made a strong case that Moses’ vast infrastructure and slum clearance projects were a nuanced mix of good and bad, as opposed to the outright evil depicted in other accounts. By invoking his legacy, the show raised pointed questions about today’s planning strategies, especially the government’s diminished role in shaping the public realm.

Like most fairy tales New York’s embrace of architecture has a dark side. If many of these shows pointed up our rich architectural past, they also served to remind us that the majority of today’s projects serve the interests of a small elite. And this trend is not likely to change any time soon. The slow death of the urban middle class, the rise of architecture as a marketing tool, the overweening influence of developers — all have helped to narrow architecture’s social reach just as it begins to recapture the public imagination. From this perspective the wave of gorgeous new buildings can be read as a mere cultural diversion.

Additionally, New York is about to embark on a handful of vast developments that could alter its character more than any projects since the 1960s. Twenty-five million square feet of commercial space is planned for Midtown. Madison Square Garden and the woeful Knicks may relocate to the site of the James A. Farley Post Office building, which was supposed to be a grand site for a new Penn Station. An enormous expansion of the Columbia University campus into Harlem has enraged local residents. And let’s not forget ground zero, a black hole of political posturing, cynical real estate deals and outright stupidity.

To date, there is little sign that intelligent design will play a major role in any of those projects. On the contrary, every revision heightens our creeping awareness that when serious money is at stake, business will be as usual.

But it’s the holidays. Cheer up. Drink some eggnog. There will be plenty to worry about in the new year.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 12:41 AM

Two observations on that Ourosoff piece:

--His snub of R.A.M. Stern by refusing to even mention him is biting.

--I don't know if he intended it or not, but he snubbed his homeboy Renzo Piano in that last paragraph about "intelligent design," since Piano is the lead architect on the Columbia expansion. Maybe he wasn't aware?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 1:00 AM
World Machine

They finally got the diagram of this one in the SSP City Section.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 4:35 AM
Technoaddict

This one looks promising!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 1:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans14 View Post
This one looks promising!
Understatement of the year...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 5:36 PM

I think I know why I'm not that excited over this one. I don't want to get my hopes way up over this amazing project just to get them crushed by a cancellation. There's been no word of the latter, but it's always a possibility, and I won't start raving in happiness until piles go into the ground for this one. Sorry for being a pessimist on this one, but it will just be too disappointing to get our hopes crushed on behalf of this beauty.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 9:20 PM
Frigidus Maximus

mediabistro.com

Monday, Dec 31

Nouvel to In-Spire Manhattan with Midtown Tower

The Museum of Modern Art is getting a new--or should we say Nouvel--neighbor. The architectural firm of Jean Nouvel (who we hope will one day tread the boards in an all-starchitect cast of The King and I) was recently declared the winner of the Tour de Verre competition, sponsored by real estate firm Hines and Goldman Sachs. Nouvel's preliminary design (see rendering at left) calls for a 75-story tower betwixt 53rd and 54th Streets that will house a 7-star, 100-room hotel, 120 residences, and a 50,000-square-foot expansion of MoMA's gallery space. Tapering into a spire, the building will have a glass and steel facade with a diagrid structure, making it look like the taller, pointy-hatted, artsy cousin of Norman Foster's Hearst Tower a few blocks north.

Nouvel had this to say about the building's design in a recent interview with Edwin Heathcote of the Financial Times:

We stuck very closely to the abstract forms of the diagrams but that created a very complex and irregular form. Because of that strange shape we had to put all the structure around the perimeter. The result is a kind of net of random shapes and the idea was to live in the structure, to be conscious of it.

Nouvel goes on to compare the building, which "changes shape as it ascends," to "three fingers pointing into the sky." And just as Frank Gehry did with his glacier-like headquarters for Barry Diller's InterActiveCorp, Nouvel has thought a lot about the building's night-time lighting, promising that "it will make it look like it has blood running through the veins of the structure."

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I think I know why I'm not that excited over this one. I don't want to get my hopes way up over this amazing project just to get them crushed by a cancellation. There's been no word of the latter, but it's always a possibility
That's a possibility for everything. But if we go by that alone, we wouldn't be excited about anything. So, if your going to get exciting by a new development, it may as well be the best.

This is actually a very small project (for its height), but the museum will expand. Construction isn't planned to begin before next year.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 3:53 PM
Time/Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Nouvel has thought a lot about the building's night-time lighting, promising that "it will make it look like it has blood running through the veins of the structure."
Well that sounds so cool.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:42 PM
Ascension

Love how that chick it watching the Lakers. Lord knows the Knicks aren't doing anything. Lol.

But this tower is one of the few towers that HAS to go up. This is the first time I can honestly say that this tower is flawless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive