HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 9:31 PM

I'm not convinced its old people who are the ones being confused. My dad and all his 60-70 yr old friends think light rail and 2 way streets are great. I've talked to quite a few 40-50 yr olds who are vehemently opposted to 2 way streets though...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
Why are we talking about online voting in this thread? What does it have to do with one way streets?
guess we could move it someplace else and try to get back on topic here.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 5:15 AM

How the hell is the traffic pattern on James S 'confusing' ??? It's very clear that the 2 left lanes exit to St. Joseph's Dr then go up the mountain (or to Arkeldun)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
Closed account

exactly...if that is confusing mountain drivers, then why is their councillor asking for MORE left turn lanes.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I'm not convinced its old people who are the ones being confused. My dad and all his 60-70 yr old friends think light rail and 2 way streets are great. I've talked to quite a few 40-50 yr olds who are vehemently opposted to 2 way streets though...
I said it tongue planted firmly in cheek

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
HAHA I can't believe you missed it, it's your article word by word I didn't change a thing yet it's got my name on it. HAHA people were impressed by MY article to the letter to editor yesterday. HEHEHE
I read The Spec on the train to Toronto, and I skimmed it quickly on Thursday because I wanted to get some work done on my laptop. I throw my paper, in the blue bins on the platform at Union Station so once it's gone, it's gone.

I got a copy from a neighbour and yep there it is, and I see the editor changed 'Colleen Gleeson' and 'she' to "the letter writer". So, I learned one more thing about writing to the editor for future letters.

5 for 5, I'm worried about sending any more, lest I lose the perfect record

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
The traffic in Hamilton is nothing compared to other urban centres. I don't know what they're complaining about. Unfortunately the word "hick" as mentioned by raisethehammer does come to mind in this situation.
Traffic in Hamilton is so much more efficient than where I come from, in London. Only spot I can really think of delays happen is John Street around Main and King. Due to all the buses going on there.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:01 PM
Closed account

some funny stuff here:

CATCH News – August 18, 2008

One-way humour at city hall

At their most recent meeting, the majority of city councillors endorsed the continued conversion of one-way street to two-way, including the conversion of York Boulevard, but only after an extended debate. East Mountain councillor Tom Jackson was one who supports the conversions. The following is an excerpt from his questioning of city staff:

Tom Jackson: …Does staff have any plans at all for any two-way to one-way conversions in Flamborough – let me see here – in Dundas, in Ancaster, in Glanbrook – let me see here – in Stoney Creek, and/or on the mountain? Are there any plans for two way conversions to one way conversions? Mr Mayor, through you to Jill. And Winona?

Glanbrook councillor Dave Mitchell: It’s Winona .

Tom Jackson: Well I say rodeo. Is that alright? Or is it rodeo? [off-microphone response: rodeo] Forgive me, I thought my Webster’s allowed both pronunciations. [more inaudible off-mic comments]. They weren’t happy about amalgamation either, with Stoney Creek, were they councillor Mitchell? If I recall. Mr Mayor, through you to Jill, please. Any plans at all Gerry [Davis], Jill, Scott Stewart for converting any of our wonderful two-way streets across the rest of the community into one-ways, please?

Jill Stephen: Through you Mr Mayor to councillor Jackson, the 2007 Hamilton Master Transportation Plan which was endorsed by council includes no plans to convert any streets from two-way to one-way.

Jackson: No two-way to one-way, anywhere else in the city of Hamilton? Thank you, Jill.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:08 PM

hahah - love it. not in their backyards i suppose. only in mine.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:26 PM
Closed account

^^ No, I think that 'convo' just proves how juvenile and how non-committed Council is.

No wonder everything takes so f'ing long to happen in this city! b/c Councillors fighting over (stupid things like) the pronounciation of Winona!

I would be so frustrated if I were in a position like Jill Stephens'. She seems pretty serious about trying to make this city function, but has to deal with people like Jackson!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues