HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
This area has always been hot in between the Gayborhood and Rittenhouse. Just about time somebody started cooking something there.
Def! There are some great venues that have awesome shows and the restaurants in the area are top notch! Its fun to travel to New York to see a show, but its more affordable to see a show of similar caliber right here in the city.

With the influx of rooms right in the area its a great thing for the arts.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 11:27 AM

The building could be a little taller but I do like it!!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:24 PM

New zoning introduced for hotel at Broad and Pine

Quote:
Councilman Mark Squilla is hoping to remove some obstacles for developer Carl Dranoff’s proposed SLS-brand Hyde Hotel at the corner of Broad & Pine streets in Center City. Last week, Squilla introduced two bills, rezoning the property from CMX-4 to CMX-5, the most permissive commercial zoning category in the city, and adjusting other zoning regulations related to parking, loading, and roof decks.

The project, as James Jennings reported in December, includes a 22-story tower with restaurants on the top and bottom, 76 hotel rooms, 83 apartments, and an underground parking garage. It’s intended to be a “bookend” hotel, according to Dranoff, who has already gotten approvals to build an SLS hotel at the corner of Broad and Spruce, where the Philadelphia International Records headquarters used to be. That project is currently stalled while state lawmakers negotiate or fail to negotiate a budget; it received state subsidies that haven’t been released, according to Jennings’ report.

The corner of Broad and Pine is currently home to a Starbucks coffee shop and a parking garage.

“Everything would be taken down,” said Peter Kelsen, an attorney for Dranoff.

Kelsen and Dranoff initially presented the project to the Washington Square West Civic Association, a Registered Community Organization, in December. They’ll present the project again to the Association’s zoning committee on February 23. The zoning legislation will then be considered by the City Planning Commission and City Council’s Committee on Rules. The legislation, which carves out a special section for the property within the Center City zoning overlay, is similar to bills that were adopted to make way for the SLS hotel at Broad and Spruce.
http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/...broad-and-pine

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
New zoning introduced for hotel at Broad and Pine

http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/...broad-and-pine
How this is not already CMX-5 is beyond me. Anything along Market or Broad between the rivers and between Vine and South should be permitted at the highest density. These have been the intended main streets since Penn's original plan and sit atop subways, after all.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
How this is not already CMX-5 is beyond me
Yeah. Seems like every parcel in the city is pretty much underzoned at least one level under the new zoning overlays simply to force developers back to the table with politicos and community groups even though, on the surface, we call it "zoning reform". But not really.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 3:06 PM

From Philly Mag

Quote:
The property is currently owned by the estate of Sam Rappaport, and Dranoff said he expects to close on the deal by June 1. Construction could in early 2017 with an opening anticipated in 2018.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...KGQ1vqqz1Du.99

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Yeah. Seems like every parcel in the city is pretty much underzoned at least one level under the new zoning overlays simply to force developers back to the table with politicos and community groups even though, on the surface, we call it "zoning reform". But not really.
Until they remap the entire city this is going to continue. Many areas are in need of updating, but the process has been slow so far for various reasons.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Until they remap the entire city this is going to continue. Many areas are in need of updating, but the process has been slow so far for various reasons.
Even with the remapping, the general tendency seems to be that any given site is still under zoned. We've seen it in multiple recent cases related to projects in Center City and elsewhere in the core.

I suspect that is not accidental: the council people and the neighborhood groups with public input in the updated zoning process were for streamlining and rationalizing of the zoning but pushed for more conservative by-right zoning standards to ensure that developers would continue to need to come begging to do what they should be able to do by right.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Even with the remapping, the general tendency seems to be that any given site is still under zoned. We've seen it in multiple recent cases related to projects in Center City and elsewhere in the core.

I suspect that is not accidental: the council people and the neighborhood groups with public input in the updated zoning process were for streamlining and rationalizing of the zoning but pushed for more conservative by-right zoning standards to ensure that developers would continue to need to come begging to do what they should be able to do by right.
I'm not sure the average councilperson is savvy enough to think that far ahead. think the revised code was a compromise on many fronts and thus no one got everything they wanted.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure the average councilperson is savvy enough to think that far ahead. think the revised code was a compromise on many fronts and thus no one got everything they wanted.
I think you are right - the revised code was a compromise on many fronts and thus no one got everything they wanted.

But I do think the council people (particularly Clarke and Blackwell), no matter how stupid or otherwise lacking in savvy, all have blood-hound like ability to identify what threatens their hold on power. A reasonable zoning code threatens their power, obviously, so they did what they could to limit the reform to retain as much power as they could in zoning matters. And in this case their interests are highly aligned with NIMBYs, so I suspect they forced a lot of compromise in the direction of under-zoning.

Basically, I think what you wrote and I wrote are not contradictory.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 1:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think you are right - the revised code was a compromise on many fronts and thus no one got everything they wanted.

But I do think the council people (particularly Clarke and Blackwell), no matter how stupid or otherwise lacking in savvy, all have blood-hound like ability to identify what threatens their hold on power. A reasonable zoning code threatens their power, obviously, so they did what they could to limit the reform to retain as much power as they could in zoning matters. And in this case their interests are highly aligned with NIMBYs, so I suspect they forced a lot of compromise in the direction of under-zoning.

Basically, I think what you wrote and I wrote are not contradictory.
first time for everything I suppose.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 3:58 PM

Any news on whether the deal with the Rappaport estate closed and on any rezoning?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Any news on whether the deal with the Rappaport estate closed and on any rezoning?
I just looked at the zoning map and it is listed as CMX-5 now.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 12:21 PM
BANNED

it will be interesting to see if this progresses before SLS does. I am still surprised by the total silence on that project for months.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 9:19 PM

SLS Hyde Hotel

Quote:
Sam Nazarian and Carl Dranoff, who are behind the SLS International Hotel on Broad Street, have plans for a second hotel called Hyde Hotel on Broad and Pine. The 22-story tower will be a $75 million mixed-use development with 76 hotel rooms and 83 studio, 1-, and 2-bedroom apartments. It's expected to break ground in the first quarter of 2017 and open two years later.
http://philly.curbed.com/maps/philadelphia-hotels-map

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Unlike the SLS, the info here matches whats on Dranoff's website. SLS page says spring 2017 groundbreaking.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Unlike the SLS, the info here matches whats on Dranoff's website. SLS page says spring 2017 groundbreaking.
We'll see, but the Curbed article is inaccurate in many respects. I can't see the W possibly opening in 2017 as said. If it's street level by end of October, it will take more than 14 months to complete a 582 ft building. Even the W website says January 2018, and that also seems like wrong and like it will be updated.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 4:10 PM

Royal Theater site on South Street to be developed by new owner

Quote:
Dranoff said in an interview that he opted for the project's sale to concentrate on his larger development projects, such as the SLS Lux and Hyde hotel-residential hybrid towers proposed nearby on South Broad Street and the One Theater Square apartment tower now being built in Newark, N.J.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...th-street.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:22 AM

Q4 2017 start date for this according to the Center City District report:
http://centercityphila.org/uploads/a...2017-final.pdf

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:07 PM

^ Dranoff working on a package deal with SLS?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals