HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
This boggles my mind. My car was broken into about 25 years ago and they stole my stereo and nothing else. Do you know why they stole nothing else? Because I don't keep things in my car that I can't afford to lose like guns and passports.

Do you know the liability in having a gun stolen? ugh.
Yea, there was one lady that posted about her car break-in a couple months ago and they stole something like $500 from the glove box! Who leaves $500 in their glove box?!?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:30 AM

I remember reading something about this a while back, but does anyone have any more solid information on it? I imagine it has a pretty good shot of opening given that entire areas push towards tourism.

http://paradiseearth.com/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
I remember reading something about this a while back, but does anyone have any more solid information on it? I imagine it has a pretty good shot of opening given that entire areas push towards tourism.

http://paradiseearth.com/
Not even sure I've noticed any development in that area. Unless they are going to put it where the failed dolphin attraction was.

Why do this? Isn't this just another biosphere - but smaller?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Not even sure I've noticed any development in that area. Unless they are going to put it where the failed dolphin attraction was.

Why do this? Isn't this just another biosphere - but smaller?
Developers: "Here'e an idea...let's make a small indoor rainforest to replace all the ones that are burning down in the Amazon."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:09 PM

There's a rough map on the Odysea tab on their website

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:45 PM

Subscriber content, but it opened on my browser.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...to-review.html

Does anyone know the plan for the NE corner of Scottsdale Rd. & Camelback on the canal? There's still quite a bit of undeveloped land over there...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:32 PM

I was in Old Town this weekend. While I welcome the next phase of the Southbridge project along the canal, I can't but help feel a little disappointed about the "vintage" architecture that is going away along with some of those businesses. I don't think people understand how much of that part of Old Town is going to be demolished. I again welcome the development but there isn't really much of that kind of streetscape in the valley built to a human scale like that nor will it ever really be replicated. Idk maybe I am off here.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:16 PM

The SouthBridge plan looks really nice:

https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p...22_ZN_2018.pdf

This current core of local architects is raising the bar for future commercial development: Allen+Philip (SouthBridge), Davis, SmithGroupJJR, Nelsen Partners, Architekton, Richard+Bauer, CCBG etc.

As soon as a Bjarke Ingels or SOM tower gets proposed I'm calling a market top.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I was in Old Town this weekend. While I welcome the next phase of the Southbridge project along the canal, I can't but help feel a little disappointed about the "vintage" architecture that is going away along with some of those businesses. I don't think people understand how much of that part of Old Town is going to be demolished. I again welcome the development but there isn't really much of that kind of streetscape in the valley built to a human scale like that nor will it ever really be replicated. Idk maybe I am off here.
I'm 100% with you. It's disappointing and if they were tearing down a nostalgic or somewhat historic part of Phoenix people would be up in arms.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:08 PM

To bad that part of old town is full of nonsense tourist trap garbage stores instead of restaurants and bars.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:38 PM

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...trict-11355031

Article on Museum Square in Old Town. Interesting that two of the critics quoted are gallery owners that have moved out of the area.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
To bad that part of old town is full of nonsense tourist trap garbage stores instead of restaurants and bars.
That block has always had a lot of restaurants and bars. Do you ever go to old town? I might be in the minority here since I have to entertain my out of town friends once a year and we always end up there.

Drunk Monk, Merkin Vineyards, Kazimierz, Super Chunk, Geisha A Go-Go, Diego Pops, The Montauk, Tokyo Tonic, Cartel Coffee Lab, and several other "restaurants and bars" are current tenants in the proposed redevelopment.

It's going to gut Old Town Scottsdale of any character it has left, it's a shame. The current iteration of South Bridge is full of offices, generic restaurants, and spattered with only *a few* boutiques. Unger built something that the local businesses responsible for the thriving district could not afford. It will happen again here.

Don't believe me, though. Wait and see. This is not a good outcome for Old Town.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That block has always had a lot of restaurants and bars. Do you ever go to old town? I might be in the minority here since I have to entertain my out of town friends once a year and we always end up there.

Drunk Monk, Merkin Vineyards, Kazimierz, Super Chunk, Geisha A Go-Go, Diego Pops, The Montauk, Tokyo Tonic, Cartel Coffee Lab, and several other "restaurants and bars" are current tenants in the proposed redevelopment.

It's going to gut Old Town Scottsdale of any character it has left, it's a shame. The current iteration of South Bridge is full of offices, generic restaurants, and spattered with only *a few* boutiques. Unger built something that the local businesses responsible for the thriving district could not afford. It will happen again here.

Don't believe me, though. Wait and see. This is not a good outcome for Old Town.
As Biggus said, there are lots of restaurants and bars in that area. I frequent them myself quite a bit and they are always busy as is the rest of that retail in the area of old town. I'm a little surprised that Scottsdale is approving this development. It is surely going to impact tourism and the tax dollars it brings in compared to what they want to build...not too mention, knocking down a lot of the character that makes old town what it is. I love redevelopment and new stuff. But only where it's needed. I do not think this is a good project for the area. There are other spots something like this could be a better fit.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 6:03 PM

The best comparison I could draw is tearing down the historic buildings in Downtown Glendale or at 1st Street and Washington to build new construction. I think people would be up in arms over that and I'm surprised this is going on without a fight in Scottsdale.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:28 PM

The Buildings getting replaced are full of tourist garbage shops

https://goo.gl/maps/wP2953AGaESnwM2P8

I used to live in old town for 4 years actually, Id prefer if the entire area of old town was restaurants instead of stupid tourist souvenirs and bad art galleries.

EDIT,

I didint see phase 3 and 4 I thought ti was just along the Canal, I hope Phase 3 and 4 dont go up thats pretty surprising that the city would let all of those popular places get bulldozed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:29 AM

I'm not sure what you're looking at. The link I clicked shows "A" as the area where Cartel and Kazimierz are located along with all those other places I mentioned. I assume "A" to be the main or initial section of the development.

If you're curious what ronniefoos and I are reading it's the second page of this link: https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p...22_ZN_2018.pdf

thanks to asu sun devil for posting it earlier. It's not about what businesses are there in my opinion, it's about a charming western style town that has been famous for decades being demolished for more bland corporate architecture. How can members of this forum be so upset about old car dealerships on Central Avenue yet so indifferent to this?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 8:16 PM

Nationwide Campus

Work on the Nationwide campus in north Scottsdale (101/Hayden) appears to be in full swing. Foundation work is going on and a big mobile crane is onsite. The Campus was supposed to have at least two ten story buildings - there are two deep foundations dug. I’d imagine we should see some tower cranes soon - will be interesting as that’s pretty close to the approach for Scottsdale Airport...

This will be the 3rd ‘cluster’ of cranes along or near the 101 (Optima, Nationwide & Desert Ridge condos).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Work on the Nationwide campus in north Scottsdale (101/Hayden) appears to be in full swing. Foundation work is going on and a big mobile crane is onsite. The Campus was supposed to have at least two ten story buildings - there are two deep foundations dug. I’d imagine we should see some tower cranes soon - will be interesting as that’s pretty close to the approach for Scottsdale Airport...

This will be the 3rd ‘cluster’ of cranes along or near the 101 (Optima, Nationwide & Desert Ridge condos).
I got the impression that only a small fraction of this development was for Nationwide itself and the rest is land development by Nationwide's REIT ( a lot of insurance companies run real estate investments as a profit vehicle)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I got the impression that only a small fraction of this development was for Nationwide itself and the rest is land development by Nationwide's REIT ( a lot of insurance companies run real estate investments as a profit vehicle)
From what I understand - this is a new campus to consolidate 2200+ local employees at one site. They're currently scattered across Scottsdale and elsewhere in the valley (former Scottsdale Insurance employees).

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...us/1824094002/

You are correct - the rest of the development is for other tenants - but the first phase (currently under construction) is the Nationwide Regional HQ.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:18 AM
Skyriser

^ It looks like they are going to be 5 stories and 460,000 square feet in the first phase. That's still a *big* building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest