HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I was in San Francisco last week looking up at Salesforce tower thinking, It's going to be amazing once Austin breaks the 600ft barrier and soon be up there with the big boys.
Ahh, welcome to my side of the hood! Hopefully you checked out some cool spots like the new Salesforce Park or City Scape but if not, definitely check those out next time you're here!

San Francisco's skyline is going to look a lot nicer once Oceanwide Center is complete. It should compliment Salesforce Tower well.

Austin's skyline isn't even that bad even though there aren't any 700ft+ buildings. The 2020's will for sure be a drastic change for both cities just as the 2010's were

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 6:29 PM

Still waiting for Salesforce to announce a big new presence in Austin...

(I base that on nothing but my own pure speculation)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You mean 700 foot barrier.
I meant 700ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Ahh, welcome to my side of the hood! Hopefully you checked out some cool spots like the new Salesforce Park or City Scape but if not, definitely check those out next time you're here!

San Francisco's skyline is going to look a lot nicer once Oceanwide Center is complete. It should compliment Salesforce Tower well.

Austin's skyline isn't even that bad even though there aren't any 700ft+ buildings. The 2020's will for sure be a drastic change for both cities just as the 2010's were
I really liked San Francisco! I checked out twin peaks, saw nob hill went down to Peir 39 and drove down Lombard Street. Also did the Golden Gate Bridge thing across the bay. My first time ever to San Francisco and was extremely impressed. Was even more impress with the lack of homeless and needles that people kept saying. I definitely will be back to stay longer. 1 day isn't enough to do everything but was worth every moment I had that day.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

My first time ever to San Francisco and was extremely impressed. Was even more impress with the lack of homeless and needles that people kept saying.
Thank god you didn't go to the Tenderloin district... lol

But definitely, if you or anyone here part of the Austin forum is planning to go to SF, lmk and I can give you spots to definitely check out

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:02 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Thank god you didn't go to the Tenderloin district... lol

But definitely, if you or anyone here part of the Austin forum is planning to go to SF, lmk and I can give you spots to definitely check out
Not to go too far off topic, but thought I'd chime in. Our favorite view of the city and the bay area was from atop Mt Tamalpais in Marin Co. Well worth the drive.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 11:44 PM
Resident Moron

So, assuming this guy is going up and 848 is the final height, there will only be 13 cities (counting JC as part of NYC) with a taller tallest than Austin in the US, and 15th (several in Toronto, one in San Pedro) in North America.

I know we always want taller taller taller, but for a city our size we are really outpunching our weight class.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
So, assuming this guy is going up and 848 is the final height, there will only be 13 cities (counting JC as part of NYC) with a taller tallest than Austin in the US, and 15th (several in Toronto, one in San Pedro) in North America.

I know we always want taller taller taller, but for a city our size we are really outpunching our weight class.
6XG combined with three 700 footish towers (Austonian, Indy, Republic) and the impressive stuff proposed for the Rainey St area - even if only some of it gets built - will definitely propel Austin's skyline above every other U.S. city with similar population. Much like our traffic nightmare is on par with metros of 5 million.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

Not that it really matters, but Panama City has 4 or so buildings that are taller than this will be.

For reference, their skyline is WILD:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:42 AM

... especially considering it is in Central America. But that's what being a money laundering capitol (allegedly) will do for a city.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 5:46 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

There's a few buildings in that picture which have fairly heavy similarities to Frost's crown. Actually the building just to the right of that crazy spiral building would have made a pretty cool companion building to Frost and would look pretty cool in our skyline.

The one to the far right definitely has a Frost-like crown though not as cool or nice as ours.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
... especially considering it is in Central America. But that's what being a money laundering capitol (allegedly) will do for a city.
Vancouver is far and away the money laundering capital of the americas

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:42 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Vancouver is far and away the money laundering capital of the americas
^^^Mainly for the Chinese and other asian countries. Panama City has been, and continues to be a HUGE laundering center for Colombian drug cartels as well as other criminals in South America. And, now that China basically runs the canal, the Chinese are Panama in this "business" too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:44 PM

Barriers and signage (with "6 x Guadalupe" and "Lincoln Property Company" and "Whatever the construction company is since I forgot") are up now.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:49 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Are they building this in phases? I remember like a year and a half ago that there was some info that told us that they'll build either the office or residential portion first and the other one would be built later if/when the market demanded it.

I hope I'm wrong and thinking of something else, could someone shed some light on this?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Are they building this in phases? I remember like a year and a half ago that there was some info that told us that they'll build either the office or residential portion first and the other one would be built later if/when the market demanded it.

I hope I'm wrong and thinking of something else, could someone shed some light on this?
I believe you're thinking of this: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=230739

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post

I remember the same thing in an early press release. Haven't heard it mentioned since.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:21 PM
Meh

What I remember them saying was that they would have the office floors finished out and ready for occupancy before the tower was completed. That's actually not uncommon in taller buildings like this that have mixed uses. It's more likely that they'll be able to lease the office space out before all of the residences are leased simply because the office market is tight enough now. It's kind of an ideal situation.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:22 PM

This is going to be a long slow demo. A right-of-way permit was filed today for AFD training exercises scheduled to take place during 09/20 to 09/27.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=2018658

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:09 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

This building will be fully built out but what they will do is open the office portion once it's completed while they build the residential portion.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is going to be a long slow demo. A right-of-way permit was filed today for AFD training exercises scheduled to take place during 09/20 to 09/27.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=2018658
If it only slows things down by a week or 2, then its still a win for everyone.
Nothing wrong with a little FD training.

When they're done they should also sell "public demo" permits. Pay xxx amount and treat it like your own rage room. Go swing a sledge for a while and let it rip.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin