HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 5:52 AM

LOS ANGELES | Crossroads of the World | 390 - 365 - 402 FT | 32 x2 + 30 FLOORS

Function: Mixed-use | 308 hotel rooms | 950 condominiums | 95,000 square feet office space | 185,000 SF retail
Architect: SOM and Rios Clementi Hale
Developer: Mort La Kretz and Harridge Development Group
Timeline: N/A

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...evelopment.php

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 7:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Hollywood keeps on getting the best stuff, architecturally speaking.

Not that this is going to happen anytime soon… if at all.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 2:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

VERY nice

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 2:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

LA doesn't just build 1 tower, but 2 or 3 or 4. I like these developments springing up that include multiple towers. Keep the high rises coming!

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 7:55 PM
Heavy User

Looks good and would really reinvigorate the area. It looks like it's going to have an uphill battle getting through community approvals but I really hope this happens.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 1:48 PM

Some new info about the huge Crossroads Hollywood development

Tower at Selma/Highland: 32 stories/365 feet tall
Tower at Selma/Las Palmas: 30 stories/402 feet tall
Tower at Sunset/Las Palmas; 32 stories/390 feet tall

Construction scheduled for 48 months, finishing in 2022. That would mean a groundbreaking date of 2018.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 2:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I would expect the Silverstein NIMBYs to come out in force against this one, citing shadows on Hollywood High (think of the children!!!) as one of their main concerns. But this would be a major, major boon to the area, and is close enough to Hollywood & Highland (at least the most northwest tower), to almost consider this transit-oriented. We should as a pro-development group, follow when the public comment periods come out and fight against them.

My only real gripe with their plan is the amount of affordable housing included. They are replacing 80 rent-controlled units with 80 units of affordable housing. With something this large, we should be getting closer to 180 (or even more like 230), which would be a net gain of 100-150 affordable units. If we want this area to grow - and it should because it's near transit - we will need some workforce housing for the people who work at the hotels and restaurants nearby. When developers go in with ambitious projects like this, they should come to the table with these kinds of offers to help make that case for density bonuses and rezoning (which this project needs). Otherwise, it's far too easy for Silverstein to win. And we need workforce housing anyway.

Architecturally I think this is pretty decent. I'm kind of sick of the alternating glass fenestration patterns, but this still looks relatively nice, and I like the paseo it would create.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:08 PM

^ I agree 100%

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 6:18 PM

This is amazing but not going to happen. When are these developers going to eventually just stop trying to compete with the Great and Powerful Silverstein? Let's hope La Kretz and Harridge get in front of this one but neighborhood groups continue to win. Does anyone in the City Council have the backbone to stand against these "advocates"? Isn't the major issue with all of these dense projects the VMT concern? Isn't it easy to reject the EIR for this reason alone? Shadows and fault lines also make an appearance but CEQA reform is not happening anytime soon.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 11:08 PM

I love this project, but I agree with colemonkee and caligrad on the disappointing lack of affordable housing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 11:13 PM

On the subject of affordable housing, maybe they could reserve the two parking lots to the north for affordable. You could probably get about 200 units from those two

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:34 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Those two lots clearly aren't part of the project or land they own. They key here is to have additional affordable housing stock as part of your plan as leverage to battle Silverstein and the neighborhood groups, who only care about views and traffic. If you have affordable housing in the plan, it's much easier to paint Silverstein as anti-affordable housing, or anti-workforce. Seeing that's a HUGE issue for LA moving forward, that's really the one way to deflate Silverstein's inevitable fight against this.

I really hope the developers are reading this forum, or I agree with some other posts, this could be DOA. Which is sad, because it could be really great for the area.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 11:30 PM

^I see your point. And I know those lots aren't part of the projects but I'm sure they could easily be bought if you have the money. They're both worth probably 10s of millions of dollars and the owners of the lots would be stupid not to take the money.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:05 AM

I really love the desin and size of this project. That being said I think it will be downsized but not by an extreme level, I still think we will get three high rises but not that tall. But in reality there shouldn't be any downsizing, Hollywood is a very urban community of LA this type of development is fit for this area and should be encouraged for the benefit of the city of Los Angeles. I hope it's gets built as is planned, let's hope the judge that will mostl likely preside over potential lawsuits on this development is a forward thinker and rules against Silverstein and nimbys but instead for the progress of LA.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 4:48 PM

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 1:53 AM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:22 PM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:27 PM

Judge clears way for Harridge’s Crossroads megaproject

Quote:
Harridge Development has swatted away the latest lawsuit against its Crossroads of the World megaproject in Hollywood.

A judge has tossed the lawsuit from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, which sought to overturn the city-approved residential towers development from beginning work on Sunset Boulevard, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

About time. This is a slick project.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:01 AM
Everywhere all at once

This and the Hollywood Palladium towers moving forward is very reassuring to me. It seems a precedent leaning in favor of building taller and denser in Hollywood is being established. Hopefully this will discourage some people from filing frivolous lawsuits in the future.

All we need now is the Hollywood Center (formerly Millennium Hollywood) to get rolling and I can break out some dancing bananas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals