HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:10 PM

Orlando Development News

Orlando is currently booming with new development. Billions are being spend on new mixed use towers, Creative Village, airport expansion, road and transit improvements and the entertainment industry. Thought I would start a thread to follow one of the fastest growing metros and the top tourist destinations (77 million in 2017) in the United States.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:33 PM

Downtown Development

Here is quick rundown of current projects going up in downtown Orlando.

Church Street Plaza - 26 floors (hotel and office)

University Club - 22 stories is wrapping up

Expansion of the Doctor Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

Creative Village will be millions of square feet of mixed use space including the new University of Central Florida downtown campus, Valencia College, student housing, office, residential, research and commercial space.

Student Housing

Amelia Court Mixed Use Project

UCF Building

Artisan Mixed Use (12 Stories)

I-4 Ultimate Project (Rebuild of I-4 through the region and downtown.)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:34 PM

New Sea World Corporate Headquarters Breaks Ground

Ground breaking ceremony for the new Headquarters.

Orlando, Fla. (Thursday, December 13, 2018) – Earlier today, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment celebrated the groundbreaking of its new headquarters to be based at SeaWorld Orlando. The 40,725 square foot, three-story building will be a shared home for ambassadors from the current Park Support Center and at the SeaWorld Orlando park.

The new building is projected to open in Fall 2019.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 7:42 PM

Very nice pics. Welcome and Thank you!!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:31 PM

Thank you, Ragerunner5!
I've been wanting to see updates on Orlando for a very long time. In fact, the entire Southeast forum has been mostly dead for a long time. So thankful to see a revival of the Orlando thread. Thank you for the good work!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:06 AM

By the way, I'd love to see downtown Orlando get a tower that is taller than SunTrust. I think I heard or read there is a height restriction. Is this true? Does anyone know?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy33 View Post
By the way, I'd love to see downtown Orlando get a tower that is taller than SunTrust. I think I heard or read there is a height restriction. Is this true? Does anyone know?
Yes, there is an FAA imposed height limit Downtown. Herndon Airport (Orlando's PDK) is just east of the area, and it's been this way for years.

There's been a recent proposal for an apartment tower that would be the new tallest building, but I'm not sure of the status.

And thank you so much ragerunner5 for this fantastic update! I moved to Atlanta from Orlando years ago, but it will always be home. The changes are almost unimaginable.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 10:44 PM

Thank you atlantaguy! I would love to see Orlando get a new tower of at least 500 feet.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Yes, there is an FAA imposed height limit Downtown. Herndon Airport (Orlando's PDK) is just east of the area, and it's been this way for years.

There's been a recent proposal for an apartment tower that would be the new tallest building, but I'm not sure of the status.

And thank you so much ragerunner5 for this fantastic update! I moved to Atlanta from Orlando years ago, but it will always be home. The changes are almost unimaginable.
That new tallest tower is still moving forward and is currently projected to be about 40 feet taller than Sun Trust tower. It would be built on the northside of downtown near the Courthouse Tower.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:16 PM

Construction Video of Downtown Orlando

Thought some might be interested in seeing more of the construction going on in Downtown Orlando.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:11 PM

$10 Billion+ The Theme Park Industry is Booming

There is so much construction going on in Orlando, from transportation, airport, urban neighborhoods and downtown. Along with all of this the theme park industry is going big over the next few years with $10 Billion+ in new projects. From resorts, coasters, themed lands, water parks and the biggest of all a 3 Universal Park. Here is a look at the current projects.

Margaritaville Orlando Resort and Islands H20 Live Water Park
This $750 million project is moving to its final phases. The new resort hotel just opened and parts of the shopping and entertainment district are now open. The water park is the final piece to be completed with everything is expected to be open by May. This is turning out to be a nice additional to W 192.

Video Link

Walt Disney World and Star Wars Galaxy Edge
So the focus for 2019 is Disney's Hollywood Studios. This park is celebrating its 30th anniversary with a $1 Billion makeover. Opening this year is the new Star Wars Galaxy Edge, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, new Skyline Transit System and the Lightning McQueen Racing Academy. This park will finally take it place as one of the best Disney parks after years of issues.

Video Link

Universal Orlando
Universal is cranking out several new additions with a new Harry Potter (Hagrid Magical Creatures) coaster, a new Bourne attraction, and 1,000+ new hotel rooms at the new Endless Summer Resort Towers. Add in a new Jurassic coaster coming in 2020 and its going to be another banner year for the resort. This doesn't factor in the biggest project of all, the new $6 Billion (estimate) theme park and resort area that is being built near the Orange County Convention Center.

Video Link

Orlando is just booming right now with construction everywhere.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:12 PM

They are starting to work on the 19th and 20th floors (total will be 26).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 2:20 PM

EXCLUSIVE TOUR - NBA Magic Arena (Amway Center)

I thought some might like a behind the scene tour of the LEED Gold certified Amway Center. They are currently upgrading all the lighting to significantly reduce power consumption (by about $1 million a year) and make the arena even more environmentally friendly. This tour takes you 110 feet above the arena floor into the catwalks, see the Zamboni machines up close and the chillers that keep the ice frozen.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 1:26 PM

Orlando City Lions MLS Season Opening Experience

This video looks at the game day experiences of Orlando City Lions MLS Season Opener against NYC. From the crowds to the stadium to the pregame festivities.

Video Link

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:57 PM

Hello. I’m a development enthusiast moving from Salt Lake City to Orlando. I look forward to following and sharing development information

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 6:02 PM

Downtown Orlando Construction Update May 2019

Sorry for the lack of updates. But I just realized its been almost 5 months since my last downtown construction update. A lot has taken place since than including 2 more new towers have broken ground.

Video Link

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Hello. I’m a development enthusiast moving from Salt Lake City to Orlando. I look forward to following and sharing development information
Welcome and happy to have others help keep this page updated. There is so much development going on in Orlando right now.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:24 PM

glad i found this thread!!

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 7:49 PM

So, I have to say that I was very surprised by how beautiful downtown Orlando is. My only experience visiting Orlando Prior was for the parks, and I, like many others that don’t actually venture into the city, thought that the skyline in the immediate vicinity of the parks was pretty much Orlando Downtown. I’m glad I was wrong.

I’m still in the process of adjusting to the change. As soon as I am able, I will explore downtown and take pictures.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:26 PM

MASSIVE Economic News for Orlando

Universal will announce on August 1 it new multi billion dollar ($4 Billion+) theme park and resort to be built next to the Orange County Convention Center. This new site is about 1 mile from the current resort and will be linked to the current resort with a dedicated bus transit system (potentially Autonomous).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast