HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 12:33 PM
BANNED

^Beautiful! I am so glad this is on the river. Just makes the Architectural Tour experience for tourists that much better. Vista, Wrigley, Trump, 300 N LaSalle, The Mart, Wolf Point, 333 N Wacker, RP, 150, Sears and soon the Post Office. All picturesque.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Beautiful! I am so glad this is on the river. Just makes the Architectural Tour experience for tourists that much better.
Not just tourists.

Chicagoans I've talked to who've taken the architectural tours seem to enjoy them as much, if not more, than out-of-towners

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Not just tourists.

Chicagoans I've talked to who've taken the architectural tours seem to enjoy them as much, if not more, than out-of-towners
I've lived in Chicago for 17 years and I still do the tour (from the Architecture Foundation) at least once every summer, plus multiple water taxi rides

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
...at least once every summer, plus multiple water taxi rides
ditto

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 1:47 AM
tilted & shifted

First for Chicago's skyline: Open floor to cope with wind, keep residents from getting queasy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...21-column.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 1:54 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Thanks, that was a good read...curious how they are draining rain and snow melt that will get in. Maybe the slab is sloped from the railing outward (first pic)
Good point, or perhaps there will be drain holes in the floor that direct water into the main stacks?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:57 PM

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
I've lived in Chicago for 17 years and I still do the tour (from the Architecture Foundation) at least once every summer, plus multiple water taxi rides
51 years born and raised in Chicago. Never did any City tour. Once the Vista is finished. I'll take the family on the boat tour.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
First for Chicago's skyline: Open floor to cope with wind, keep residents from getting queasy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...21-column.html
Reminds me of this video.

Video Link

Pretty sure that would cause some issues with potential residents. (and that's only on the 45th floor)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Fortunately, highrises (in general) are structurally designed to move/sway - Whether wind or seismic loads (videos of highrises in Tokyo during the 2011 Tohoku/Fukushima earthquake show the incredible way the buildings were swaying, even though the epicenter was 230 miles from Tokyo), highrises have a minimum structural safety factor that is designed to allow for some movement due to external forces.

I think the idea of an open floor/s to minimize wind load effects is smart and a cheaper way to mitigate the problem....and by cheaper I mean compared to other means, like a tuned mass damper, which could also potentially alter the design much more significantly than what is being planned.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:31 PM

Doesn't seem like it would be all that safe to ride a giant form attached to a crane over a construction site.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Balls of steel! That's Old School right there. Gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done. Love it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:46 AM

07/24/17

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:44 AM

If the blow-thru was contemplated a year ago, why did the height change just this month?

Also, if the wind is such a concern that you need a blow-thru floor, why is it nearly at the top? You'd think it would be at the halfway or two-thirds point. Maybe the double-tube segment offers better rigidity, but then it also creates more wind resistance, so shouldn't the the irresistible force win over the not-really-immovable object? Plus, having the blow-thru at, say, the final setback could let it function as a giant shaded extension of the roofdeck.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
If the blow-thru was contemplated a year ago, why did the height change just this month?

Also, if the wind is such a concern that you need a blow-thru floor, why is it nearly at the top? You'd think it would be at the halfway or two-thirds point. Maybe the double-tube segment offers better rigidity, but then it also creates more wind resistance, so shouldn't the the irresistible force win over the not-really-immovable object? Plus, having the blow-thru at, say, the final setback could let it function as a giant shaded extension of the roofdeck.
Why the top...?

Maybe that's where the sway was the worst?

Those floor plates are smaller, so you're losing less sellable square footage?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Balls of steel! That's Old School right there. Gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done. Love it.
He's not hooked on to anything? You know that guys been working for thirty plus years. Or he's Travis Pastrana.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine the number of meetings and discussions were needed to get this operation approved. ...or they just did it and sought forgiveness....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
I can't imagine the number of meetings and discussions were needed to get this operation approved. ...or they just did it and sought forgiveness....

always worked for me

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Why the top...?

Maybe that's where the sway was the worst?

Those floor plates are smaller, so you're losing less sellable square footage?
Well by this logic the blow-through would be on the 97th floor, but then you'd just have all the sway of a 96-story building. So you have to push the blow-through lower down to some point that maximizes the lessening of sway. In other words it doesn't go where sway is greatest; it should theoretically go where eliminating a wind load will reduce sway the most. Where that happy medium is I certainly don't know, but on the 83rd floor the blow-through is about 80% up the building, which at least seems a little high. On 432 Park, they are nicely dispersed at 22%, 37%, 53%, 69%, and 84% (going off of its Emporis page). Intuitively makes much more sense, though of course the buildings are different in their massings and in other ways.

What I'm really wondering is whether it would have been much more effective a bit lower, at the final setback -- but got pushed upwards for aesthetic reasons.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Well by this logic the blow-through would be on the 97th floor, but then you'd just have all the sway of a 96-story building. So you have to push the blow-through lower down to some point that maximizes the lessening of sway. In other words it doesn't go where sway is greatest; it should theoretically go where eliminating a wind load will reduce sway the most. Where that happy medium is I certainly don't know, but on the 83rd floor the blow-through is about 80% up the building, which at least seems a little high. On 432 Park, they are nicely dispersed at 22%, 37%, 53%, 69%, and 84% (going off of its Emporis page). Intuitively makes much more sense, though of course the buildings are different in their massings and in other ways.

What I'm really wondering is whether it would have been much more effective a bit lower, at the final setback -- but got pushed upwards for aesthetic reasons.
The concrete shear walls on the north and south end of the highest portion of the tower end at the same point as the middle portion of the tower. It's then just columns and the core the rest of the way to the top to open up views. This suggests that the portion with shear walls are going to be significantly more rigid and I would guess those shear walls are the reason they don't need any blow-thru floors below that point. One can assume that of those top floors the ones closest to the sheer walls are the most stable. Floors closer to the base have less leverage on the structure than those at the top and since they have the smallest floor plates of the frustrum making them blow-thru does even less to negate the effects of the wind because there's less surface area for the wind to push against.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture