HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Southern U.S. metros in the millions range...? (And St. John's, if it were bigger, would still be like this, I have no doubt.)

I recall getting referred to as 'honey' regularly, that's in the same ballpark as 'mon cher', wouldn't you say? In St. John's they'd say 'my love' instead or something like that - which to me is even weirder.
I was very precise in the types of people I was referring to (young people in a big city, addressing a middle aged guy like me) in order illustrate how more widespread the phenomenon is here. And apologies to SHH but St. John's is not a big city.

Sure there are demographics in most places that will do this to other specific demographics (but not to others) but a teenager male or female with a nose ring working in a Circle K in suburban Houston isn't going to call someone who looks like me "honey", trust me on that.

My sense is that people outside of Quebec in Canada and the US are much more preoccupied with not having any contact (verbal or physical) they make with other people being perceived as remotely sexual in any way - unless it's supposed to be sexual, of course.

It's like how Québécois people sometimes wink at strangers as a simple form of salutation.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I sent a Facebook message to an Irish friend who has been here several times and dated a guy from Montreal who was going to university in Toronto - so her visits on that end were mostly to Toronto.

She said nowhere reminds her of Canada, in a positive way. She said Toronto is a "functional, contemporary Jerusalem". I followed up asking her for some insight about Newfoundland specifically, because I'm me, and she said we're like normal rural (ouch) Irish but if you get to know people and realize they're Catholic British monarchists it's a bit of a mind-fuck.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I sent a Facebook message to an Irish friend who has been here several times and dated a guy from Montreal who was going to university in Toronto - so her visits on that end were mostly to Toronto.

She said nowhere reminds her of Canada, in a positive way. She said Toronto is a "functional, contemporary Jerusalem". I followed up asking her for some insight about Newfoundland specifically, because I'm me, and she said we're like normal rural (ouch) Irish but if you get to know people and realize they're Catholic British monarchists it's a bit of a mind-fuck.
I've been to Toronto and I've been to Jerusalem but I have no idea what that means.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I've been to Toronto and I've been to Jerusalem but I have no idea what that means.
Etobicoke is the modern-day Nazareth and Doug Ford is the messiah.

It's all so clear now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'll ask for clarification.

EDIT: She just meant multicultural.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 11:23 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Etobicoke is the modern-day Nazareth and Doug Ford is the messiah.

It's all so clear now.
and Rob Ford was baby Jesus...Halle-burp-lujah!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I totally agree with this. On the "social" side when compared to the rest of Canada-USA we're probably somewhere in the middle, perhaps slightly more on the "talkative" side than the "non-talkative" side.
I'm currently sitting having lunch in downtown Newport VT and the old guy next to me has started to randomly chat my ear off in a way that you'd rarely see in Quebec. Typical...

(I don't really mind, I always return the chattiness as a public service.)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm currently sitting having lunch in downtown Newport VT and the old guy next to me has started to randomly chat my ear off in a way that you'd rarely see in Quebec. Typical...

(I don't really mind, I always return the chattiness as a public service.)
It is certainly much more likely to happen in the U.S. than in Canada from what I've experienced. I also find that the conversations can be much more bizarre in the U.S.. Many Americans tend to brag about themselves while many Canadians like to poke fun at themselves and their imperfections. In Canada, I find that people will often use the weather as a topic to start a conversation and not much at all in the states.

I've always wondered about the reactions from various Americans when somebody says he/she is from Quebec.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:50 AM
I am a typical

I have American customers (southern Americans who spend the summer in Canada) and they always start conversations with weather. I use Fahrenheit when talking to them; they love it!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I have American customers (southern Americans who spend the summer in Canada) and they always start conversations with weather. I use Fahrenheit when talking to them; they love it!
It's because they are in Canada! lol

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:15 AM
I am a typical

Talking to Americans on the phone for various reasons, the comments usually turn to weather as well. They really do have an impression that it's cold here, and like my in-person customers, are surprised to know we know Fahrenheit.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:46 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Many Americans tend to brag about themselves while many Canadians like to poke fun at themselves and their imperfections.

This sentence consists of a Canadian portraying Americans as oafish braggarts and Canadians as wry ironists.

Just wheels within wheels on this thing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:49 AM

I don't understand farenheit, like whats hot or whats cold

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:52 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I've always wondered about the reactions from various Americans when somebody says he/she is from Quebec.
Most of the time it's "Quebec? That's French, innnit ?"

Or something similar.

Same thing pretty much if you refer to Montréal. Which likely annoys many anglos from there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
32F water freezes
Zero F is fucking cold!!!!
Below Zero F is Motherfucker cold!!!!

So if an American is somehow watching Canadian Weather station and hears its going to be -5 in November (Which is a pretty good Prairie temp for November) they'll think that its a god-damn cold place to be unless they know Celsius.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I get that you might be sketchy on the details, but is it really to the point where you don't get that 100F is hot, or that anything in F with a minus in front of it will be cold?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get that you might be sketchy on the details, but is it really to the point where you don't get that 100F is hot, or that anything in F with a minus in front of it will be cold?
That's about my level of understanding of F. I just don't bother with it. Whenever I'm in the US I get my weather in metric off my phone.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
In Newport you won't really get any particular "reaction" from them upon learning we're from that province rather than from another one.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
32F water freezes
Zero F is fucking cold!!!!
Below Zero F is Motherfucker cold!!!!

So if an American is somehow watching Canadian Weather station and hears its going to be -5 in November (Which is a pretty good Prairie temp for November) they'll think that its a god-damn cold place to be unless they know Celsius.
Haha, that is if you like colder than normal temps
... that's colder than mean daily temp for what most people on the Prairies feel in November, but we get your point.
What often hear a lot is the term 'sub zero temp' by Americans referring to weather in Canada in general. But our sub zero isn't the same as what they are thinking for sub zero

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Haha, that is if you like colder than normal temps
... that's colder than mean daily temp for what most people on the Prairies feel in November, but we get your point.
What often hear a lot is the term 'sub zero temp' by Americans referring to weather in Canada in general. But our sub zero isn't the same as what they are thinking for sub zero
My birthday is early November. I've had some birthdays were I've gone for a round of golf and other birthdays of cross country skiing and snowmobiling.
When I'm in the states I know that 65 - 75F is nice comfortable temp. 80+ is too damn hot. And below 0 is goddamn cold, especially with a 40mph wind!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada