HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Red face Naked Bicyclists take to Winnipeg Streets

Cyclists stage cheeky protest
By: Lindsey Wiebe

Updated: June 14 at 12:55 AM CDT | Winnipeg Free Press

Ben Plamondon didn't plan on spending Friday evening cycling the city in the buff.

But when the 19-year-old got word of Winnipeg's first-ever Naked Bike Ride, he decided he might as well toss caution -- and his clothing -- to the wind.

"I heard about it probably less than an hour ago," said the grinning University of Manitoba student, lounging fully clad on the legislative building staircase before stripping down for the cycling event.

World Naked Bike Rides, meant to raise awareness of oil dependency and protest car culture, have drawn thousands of participants in roughly 70 cities and 20 countries. But at Winnipeg's premiere nude ride, gawking bystanders outnumbered participants at least 7 to 1.

Plamondon and half a dozen other cyclists eventually disrobed before a silent crowd of camera-toting spectators.

Waiting atop the staircase was a contingent of well-dressed St. Mary's Academy students, who happened to be at the legislative building for graduation photos and burst into applause when the group doffed their clothes.

"I guess that's as naked as they get," said one woman on the sidelines after most cyclists stripped to their underwear, sounding a little disappointed.

The small group headed off down Osborne Street in various states of undress, but some bared it all after leaving the legislative building, with a handful of bemused police officers following.

Organizer Sierra Sawatzky said she believed in the environmental cause, and thought she'd put to use the nine months of leadership training she gained by volunteering with the Katimavik program.

The 18-year-old admitted her family in Altona might be a little surprised at what they see in the news.

"I never told my grandparents," she said. "We'll see what happens when the proverbial s--- hits the fan."

lindsey.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 12:54 AM
I am a typical

It could be worse.

They could be fat lesbians.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 2:19 AM
Movin' on up

I think we should encourage as many women, preferably in their 20's that are not fat or lesbians, to partake in this event.

Think of the possibilities!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 3:56 AM
Look at me!

meh, stupid.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

How about sexy slim lesbians, or sexy slim women, period?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It could be worse.

They could be fat lesbians.

... what a bunch of boobs .... errr I mean asses... ahhh I mean fools.

Yes.. fools ... naked ones.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 2:07 AM

Quote:
World Naked Bike Rides, meant to raise awareness of oil dependency and protest car culture
Very clever.
Those naked people have totally convinced me to stop driving, starting today!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Cyclists stage cheeky protest
By: Lindsey Wiebe

Updated: June 14 at 12:55 AM CDT | Winnipeg Free Press

Ben Plamondon didn't plan on spending Friday evening cycling the city in the buff.

But when the 19-year-old got word of Winnipeg's first-ever Naked Bike Ride, he decided he might as well toss caution -- and his clothing -- to the wind.

"I heard about it probably less than an hour ago," said the grinning University of Manitoba student, lounging fully clad on the legislative building staircase before stripping down for the cycling event.

World Naked Bike Rides, meant to raise awareness of oil dependency and protest car culture, have drawn thousands of participants in roughly 70 cities and 20 countries. But at Winnipeg's premiere nude ride, gawking bystanders outnumbered participants at least 7 to 1.

Plamondon and half a dozen other cyclists eventually disrobed before a silent crowd of camera-toting spectators.

Waiting atop the staircase was a contingent of well-dressed St. Mary's Academy students, who happened to be at the legislative building for graduation photos and burst into applause when the group doffed their clothes.

"I guess that's as naked as they get," said one woman on the sidelines after most cyclists stripped to their underwear, sounding a little disappointed.

The small group headed off down Osborne Street in various states of undress, but some bared it all after leaving the legislative building, with a handful of bemused police officers following.

Organizer Sierra Sawatzky said she believed in the environmental cause, and thought she'd put to use the nine months of leadership training she gained by volunteering with the Katimavik program.

The 18-year-old admitted her family in Altona might be a little surprised at what they see in the news.

"I never told my grandparents," she said. "We'll see what happens when the proverbial s--- hits the fan."

lindsey.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca
If there were more hot girls doing is, I'd probably regret not being in Winnipeg this summer

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:33 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I can think of 10,000,000,000 reasons this is a very bad idea...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 1:42 AM
I am a typical

I just realized how blinding white all those people are.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 2:15 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I can think of 10,000,000,000 reasons this is a very bad idea...

Well, I guess this couldn't happen in Calgary for the same reason; too many mosquitos in Calgary. Also, there would be the possible risk of summer snow in Calgary and that wouldn't be too kind on all those naked bodies

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada