HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:35 AM

so 30 seconds to get to the top?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:15 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
so 30 seconds to get to the top?
I haven't done the math, but are you accounting for acceleration and deceleration time? Regardless, it's pretty impressive.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^It's been really clear the past few days, but it's friggin' cold! I'm considering going out there today, but at -1C/28F, I'm reluctant. Before you all make fun of me, you need to experience -1C with wind in Shanghai. It may sound mild by upper North American winter standards, but man, that shit will cut right through you, and chill the body to it's core.
oh, come on! dont be such a pussy
we here in Berlin had recently -24C.
I am sure we all would appreciate new pix.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 2:49 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
^do they have central heating in SH buildings? Winter temps here in Nanning hover around 5-10 degrees yet no sun and no heating anywhere makes winters here feel MUCH more colder than the winters I've spent in NY.

I never noticed that this tower will have a two layers of cladding giving it those office atriums. I wonder how that will fly with the tenants. I'm sure some will like the space but perhaps others will complain that their office views would be compromised with that extra layer of glass meters removed from their office windows.

Central heating in China begins north of the Yangzhi river, but Shanghai doesn't have it really, only space heaters. I used to live in Harbin, we had great central heating but the temperatures outside were as cold as -30C at night in January.

I feel like ST hasn't grown at all lately.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:02 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^What he said. Block heaters and AC units with a 'hot' setting are your best friend south of the Yangzhe.
I've really wanted to head out to Lujiazui to do an update, but the weather (mostly rain) has been garbage for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday wasn't bad, but I had other commitments.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 8:31 AM

Havent scrolled through all the replies on this. Mitsubishi are supplying and installing 'the fastest elevators inn the world'
This is whats been written:
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (TOKYO: 6503) announced today it has received an order from Shanghai Tower Construction & Development Co., Ltd. for the installation of the world’s fastest elevators, travelling at 18 meters (or 59 feet) per second, in the Shanghai Tower currently under construction in the Pudong district of Shanghai, China.
The current world record for elevator speed is 1,010 meters per minute, which is approximately 16.8 meters (or 55 feet) per second, according to Guinness World Records.
Three sets of elevators will travel directly between the second basement level and the observation deck on the 119th floor. Including these three units,
Mitsubishi Electric Group will supply all 106 elevators for the Shanghai Tower, beginning this autumn. The 632-meter tall skyscraper complex will house offices, hotel accommodations, commercial facilities, convention halls, exhibition
halls, restaurants and culture and tourism facilities.
It is expected to be the tallest building in China when completed in 2014. Mitsubishi Electric also will install a group of four double-deck elevators that will travel at a world-record 10 meters (or 33 feet) per second between the ground floor and hotel lobby on the 101st floor. In addition, the emergency elevator is expected to become the world’s longest-travelling elevator by operating between the third basement and the 121st floor, a distance of 578.5 meters.

The seven elevators expected to establish new speed records will incorporate state-of-the-art technologies to ensure passenger comfort at high speed, such as active roller guides, sleek roof covers that reduce lateral vibration and noise, and pneumatic control to compensate for rapid changes of atmospheric pressure.
High-intensity ropes and cables will enable the world’s longest-travelling elevator to operate over a distance exceeding 500 meters. Ceramic braking material will increase resistance to high temperatures and strong impact for maximized safety and reliability.
All elevators capable of travelling at speeds in excess of 2.5 meters (or 8.2 feet) per second also will be equipped with energy-saving solutions, including regenerative converters and group-control systems.
“It is a great honor to be selected to supply all elevators, including a number of record-breaking units, for the tallest building in China,” said Mitsuo Muneyuki, executive vice president of Mitsubishi Electric in charge of building systems. “We believe this historic order reflects the global reputation of Mitsubishi Electric’s advanced technologies and world-class service.”
In response to growing demands on elevator and escalator systems for high-rise buildings, Mitsubishi Electric is steadily developing transportation systems offering increased levels of safety, security, comfort and sustainability.

Thought i would post something useful on my first post

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:32 PM
Khurram Parvaz

mori

SSP doesn't have ENOUGH Shanghai Tower updates.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
Khurram Parvaz

ShanghaiDaily

Quote:
A CRACK up to 10 meters long on a main road in Lujiazui sparked safety concerns in the skyscraper area yesterday after pictures were posted online. The crack was spotted at an exit of the Shanghai World Financial Center opposite the under-construction Shanghai Tower. "It has been here for a while," a member of staff at a hotel in the financial zone told Shanghai Daily. However, the company that is building the Shanghai Tower said the crack was normal subsidence during the construction of the tower's foundation ditch, which is "under control." So far the underground structure of the building has been finished and the element that caused the subsidence should be gone, the company said last night via the Shanghai government's official microblog account. Repairs should be started soon once the rainy weather improves, the company said. Construction of the Shanghai Tower, which will be the tallest building in China by 2014, has been strictly monitored since the beginning, and this would not end despite the completion of the foundation, the company added. The Lujiazui area, which is now experiencing massive construction both above and beneath the ground, has long been at the center of debate over whether construction work could lead to subsidence problems. Below ground, five underground passages and a transit hall are being built to connect the skyscrapers and Metro stations. Above ground, the Shanghai Tower has reached a height of more than 200 meters of its intended 632 meters. Experts said that the loose earth structure in Shanghai and improper construction methods were very likely to trigger subsidence, especially uneven subsidence, which is more dangerous. Xu Liping, general engineer of Shanghai Geotechnical Investigations & Design Institute, said: "The soil in Shanghai is soft and the construction around or under is likely to cause cracks in certain places." But Xu said that determining the cause of the current crack could be a complicated process that not only required the involvement of relevant parties around the crack but a calculation of the influence of the construction work as well. Shanghai is taking active steps to tackle its subsidence problem. One way that has proved effective is to pump back groundwater drained during construction. Cracks and cave-ins, caused by subsidence, have frequently made headlines in the city. In October last year, a large piece of the road surface at a busy intersection collapsed in downtown Zhabei District. Local urban maintenance department officials said loose sand and earth beneath was to blame. Vice Mayor Zhang Xuebing has told local lawmakers the city is controlling the number of projects, with no more than 10 percent of roads affected by construction at any one time.
I'm sure this crack was caused by construction, and not an earthquake.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 1:52 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great update! I'm fascinated with how the outer facade glass will handle wind loads, especially higher up on the tower.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:15 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for posting Mori's pictures over here. Those are the most detailed photos I've seen of it, and from such varied (what I assume are) non-public places. You can tell how much distance there will be between the inner and outer glass around the bulbed out atria. I wonder how strange it will be looking out from those offices to have that second pane way out there like that. I'd love to go inside someday and find out!

Can someone tell me what is planned for that strip of land next to Jin Mao in the last shot?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Feb 18, 2012 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:13 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ As of right now, NOTHING is planned for that parcel of land.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That surprises me. They were demolishing the previous building on that site when I was there back in 2003. I assumed they had something in mind at that point. And given the pace of development in China, it's especially surprising. Thanks!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:39 PM
Khurram Parvaz

It was RECENTLY a small park (well ever street in Shanghai is), BUT I have NO idea what's going on there. Maybe it's re-landscaping, or an extension to Jin Mao's Plaza, or maybe a lowrise.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
DENNAB

So uh, no one is paying any attention to the massive crack in the ground? That's not a good sign.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 11:40 PM

I really like the existing Shanghai Financial Tower. Innovative how they incorporated the opening at the top to possibly help reduce wind pressure. Definately a unique design. Soon there will be three immensely tall buildings side by side, the Financial Tower, Jin Mao Tower, and Shanghai Tower.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 11:42 PM

And looking at the completed Shanghai Financial Tower in The Big Apple's pics, it looks to have a concrete base too, like 1wtc will have! Maybe post-9/11 security measure?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 1:46 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
So uh, no one is paying any attention to the massive crack in the ground? That's not a good sign.
They are. The owners/constructors of the SWFC said it's been there since the SWFC was completed, and first showed up when construction on the SWFC began. They said it's no biggie, since Shanghai is soft soil anyway.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 2:49 AM

Quote:
The owners/constructors of the SWFC said it's been there since the SWFC was completed, and first showed up when construction on the SWFC began. They said it's no biggie, since Shanghai is soft soil anyway.
famous last words, perhaps . . . . ?

http://themavesite.com/TMS-Pictures/...ksCollapse.jpg

Be wary of statements from the Chinese real estate / construction industry.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 4:16 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
famous last words, perhaps . . . . ?

http://themavesite.com/TMS-Pictures/...ksCollapse.jpg

Be wary of statements from the Chinese real estate / construction industry.
That was due to a second rate developer, poor construction methods, combined with an extremely rainy month prior to the collapse. None of that applies to building construction or this crack in Lujiazui.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Khurram Parvaz

A building is able of being constructed ANYWHERE. We just had the tallest building in the world be built where? The Desert. Soft soil is nothing, but to construct on it (especially a supertall (now megatall) building) costs MORE money. You have to go LOWER into the ground. Here in NYC (on the island of Manhattan) the only reason tall buildings are economically and financially feasible is because of the hard bedrock (called manhattan schist). In Shanghai they have to go DEEP, until they reach stable land that can hold the building. So it's no problem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive