HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:07 AM

He's frightened to actually take a stand. On anything. I've been more and more disappointed in him.

We need this building, and if I have to fly back to Victoria to kick some asses about this, I will. Fifteen stories for fucks sake. We're not talking a towering behemoth.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:29 AM
Website Manager

Quote by Mayor Alan Lowe
Quote:
My comfort level was not there. I felt this project (Gateway Green) was a bit too big and a bit too dense for this site. If it was a larger site, reducing the density and the massing of the building, it might be a different story.
What would be the point of putting the same size building on a larger site? Look at the Centra Gas building down the street from this site. It has a large one floor section at the back with the same footprint as the tower portion, almost halving the density at the site. What's the point of building useless one floor sections on the the back of buildings just to reduce the density on paper? The First Island Financial building that is beside the Gateway Green site has what is esentially a blank facade on one side so it certinly doesn't hurt to have another large building abutting quite close to it.

I think Lowe is just now sounding wary of these large buildings because he doesn't want to look like he supports large buildings in the city after supporting the three Hudson towers.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
rrskylar??? Please what? confused!!!

Hey I am doing a job for the V.P. of Harbour Air. As a tip I am getting a round trip for me and some friends on the harbor to harbor flight with some Canucks tickets and Hotel! Pretty Exciting since I have never been to a Canucks game before!

I am also taking a four month Course in Vancouver starting in January - April of 08. It's a full time course so I will be living in Vancouver for four months for the first time...while I have someone run my business for me over here. I'm looking forward to it!!!
Well I agree Victoria is finally headed in the right direction, I don't think those of us in this forum can take responsibility for it. Good luck in your course next winter, what exactly are you going to be studying?

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 3:12 PM

You'd be surprised at how much credit the individuals here on SSP and on VV can take. They showed up for the meetings...

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 3:58 PM

RR, if you haven't already go take a peek at www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum and see what the group in Victoria is up to. You'll see why we needed to branch off of SSP as the main forum. That site's content, resources and discussions continue to make a big impact on the city. Just the other day a local business magazine used VV's data for its construction update and a week before that a story broke on VV before it hit the major media, leading the big guys to acknowledge they learned of it second-hand. Councillors, planners and other local politicians regularly peruse the content so our way of thinking is indeed making a big difference in the community. It's been a long time coming since 2003 when the original group, thanks to SSP's support, began to form and organize events to combat nimbyism and irresponsible media coverage.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 5:11 PM
Don't hold back.

^And don't forget that we are so cutting edge our avatars have to be on the right hand side!

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 7:34 PM

Seriously, it's no exaggeration to say we played a very big part in getting the ball rolling again re: serious (non-hysterical) discussion of development in Victoria. Our materials have been referenced all over the place.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 9:35 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Absolutely Aastra.

I am beginning to wonder if Mayor Lowe really doesn't want to see height limit of 14 stories broken, even though it is all over the place. I thought that maybe it was more of a political game that he was playing to keep good face with the Nay Sayers of the JBNEA, The Fairfeild and Vic West groupies. However the more I have been reading and trying to figure him out, maybe he is really a anti height guy. However I keep going back to the Fall's proposal and the Hudson and he was so excited over them. And then he voted against the Clock Tower proposal a 6 stories saying it was too dense. He really makes no sense at all. <--- Just kidding. Personally I like Alan, but politically I don't know where he stands on key issues and to me that shows weekness.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 9:40 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Rrskylar... I don't want to say publicly what I am doing in Vancouver, but I will send you a private message. Cheers Mate.

For some reason it won't let me send you an email.....Oh Well!!!

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 1:07 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Hey we got ranked 8th in North America!!!

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...cat=citiesusca

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 1:47 AM
-over-stimulated-

Has anyone ever stopped to think that Lowe's position on Gateway Green isn't personal, or political, but business? It's no secret he has others close to him in the development game.
I'm not saying I know anything, just posing it as a possibility. I mean, is it really that far fetched?
Am I overstepping some kind of line by suggesting?

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 1:50 AM
-over-stimulated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Hey we got ranked 8th in North America!!!

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...cat=citiesusca
I'll be sure to remind my Toronto friends that their city didn't even make it on the list.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumgum View Post
Has anyone ever stopped to think that Lowe's position on Gateway Green isn't personal, or political, but business? It's no secret he has others close to him in the development game.
I'm not saying I know anything, just posing it as a possibility. I mean, is it really that far fetched?
Am I overstepping some kind of line by suggesting?
Are you suggesting a mayor who fails to see a problem with continuing to design buildings in the city he's the mayor of, might let his business associations colour his feelings towards the projects of developers that haven't hired him?

Perish the thought.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 2:05 AM
-over-stimulated-

edit

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 4:31 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Gum Gum...

You are most definately not over stepping any boundries. However I would hesitate to believe that would be the case. If it was ever discovered that the Mayor ever held up a project to give a business buddy an upper hand on a similar proposal it would destroy his career. Especially since he has sights on a Federal Liberal MP job. However you never know for sure. On that note maybe when the Fed's give Victoria an extra riding or two soon he will make the switch.

I am still really perplexed by his swinging support from one proposal to another. It really is strange. Again maybe he's just playing the politcal game.

I really do believe if a Mayor Candidate came out and made a firm stand on Development issues in this city. If he had a clear cut vision for the revitalization of the Downtown etc. A kind of guy that was true to his word yet respectful and had strong leadership skills. He would gather a lot of support. I find with a lot of Voters in Victoria, that I talk to, they don't know who to vote for because they don't know where the councilors and mayor candidates stand on specific issues.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 4:41 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

On another issue, Lindsay Chase sent me an email regarding this seminar at Uvic. It looks interesting I am going to go.

The Division of Continuing Studies in partnership with the City of Victoria and the District of Sannich is pleased to offer People, Places, Perspectives, a series on shaping dynamic communities. Join us on June 19th 2007 at the University of Victoria as we welcome the honourable Mike Harcourt to present:

City Making in Paradise: A Conversation with Mike Harcourt

The communities, lifestyles, and surroundings that make southern Vancouver Island such an appealing place to live are under pressure in the face of significant growth and environmental change. Join the Honorable Mike Harcourt, former Mayor of Vancouver and Premier of British Columbia, for a lively and thought-provoking discussion of the ways in which the daily choices we make as leaders, activists, and citizens influence our capacity to build liveable and resilient communities. Mr. Harcourt relates the lessons learned in three decades of urban planning and development to the special challenges that confront Victoria and its neighbouring communities, and offers ideas for policy and practice that support sustainable city-making in our west coast paradise.

Instructor: Mike Harcourt
As the former mayor of Vancouver and premier of British Columbia, Mike Harcourt helped Canada's westernmost province earn its reputation as one of the most livable places in the world. His focus on conservation and sustainable development has played a significant role in promoting quality of life for those he represented in office.

Course Code: CMCR238 2007K C01

Dates: Tuesday(s), June 19, 2007 to June 19, 2007: 7:30pm to 8:30pm, 1 session

Fee: $15 plus GST

Register: By telephone at 250.472.4747 or via e-mail at register@uvcs.uvic.ca

Or visit http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/WebSite/Cour...CourseID=37534

For more information on this lecture and others offered in the People, Places, Perspective series, please contact:

Lisa Mort-Putland

Program Coordinator, Cultural Management Programs

Continuing Studies, University of Victoria

PO Box 3030 Stn CSC, Victoria, BC V8W 3N6

250 721 6119

Cultural Resource Management Program http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp

Aboriginal Language Revitalization Program http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/calr

Intercultural Education and Training Program http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/iet

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:43 AM

The most important planning lesson I learned from Mike Harcourt is never build a deck without a railing.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 6:59 PM
Don't hold back.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 7:20 PM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Or learning never to vote for the NDP. baahahaha.... O.K. I probably offended someone....but still true for me!

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 9:02 PM

Huh? Harcourt was probably the best of the lot.

BTW, don't you think it's odd that two NDP Premiers were nearly done in by dubious patio decks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia