HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 2:38 PM

Just wanna say congrats to the Hawks for eliminating The Wild last night. I'm sure any of you who watched realized this was a really tough series. Minnesota has a really talented and physical team. Thankfully, Corey Crawford was an impenetrable goaltender, and stole more than a few games for the Hawks. The talking heads in the NHL commentary have to finally acknowledge him as an elite goaltender, and stop talking that BS about his weak glove hand. GO HAWKS!

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 6:51 PM

^^^ Go Hawks!

Also, check out this sick proposal:

All photos from this DNAinfo article: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...sion#slideshow

They claim it will only cost $177 million, but that sounds cheap especially after hearing about projects like the Red Line extension costing billions. Just think what we could buy with $2.3 billion if it were spent on a practical project. This group is also claiming they can raise that $177 million privately a la Millennium Park. This would be an excellent improvement to our city.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

There's no way in hell that all of that could be done for $177M.

just. no. way.

looks cool though...........

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 7:37 PM

Maybe they mistakenly put an "m" instead of a "b." It would probably cost that much just for the breakwater island.

Nevertheless, what an amazing proposal. What I love about it most is replacing all the concrete between Oak St beach and North Ave beach with green space. It would be great to be able to just hang out in that area without having to either sit on concrete, or be in the sandy part of the beach. That's one thing that's great about Milwaukee's lakefront. It has a much more natural feel (although, of course, Chicago's lakefront has 10x more life).

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 6:59 PM
The City

Looks like the James Beard Award will be held in Chicago this year, the first time it is being held outside of NYC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 12:48 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Looks like the James Beard Award will be held in Chicago this year, the first time it is being held outside of NYC
^ Wow, I'm kinda surprised there has been no discussion of this since I posted it. This is pretty great news for Chicago, and if there were any doubts that our city is a global center for cuisine, this news pretty much eliminates that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Wow, I'm kinda surprised there has been no discussion of this since I posted it. This is pretty great news for Chicago, and if there were any doubts that our city is a global center for cuisine, this news pretty much eliminates that.
That is pretty huge, given that the Beard Awards are like the academy awards for foodies. It may signal their desire to seem less New York centric, as that could undermine their credibility. It was interesting that when Melman (Lettuce Entertain You) won the Beard award for Best Restauranteur a few years ago, he wasn't even at the ceremony. When asked why he didn't go, he replied he didn't think they would ever give that award to anyone not from NY. Great to see them come to Chicago, although I can't see it being a permanent move.

With Michelin, Zagat and AAA diamond awards, Beard is not the only game in the culinary world.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 12:12 AM
TL;DR

Maybe not, but it's good news regardless. I've long thought that Chicago needs to start acting like a national leader in the fields where it is strong: food, music, architecture, comedy, Latino culture, etc. To act like a national leader, we definitely should be hosting more awards ceremonies, among other things.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:13 AM

The Civic Opera House and the Auditorium Theater seem perpetually under utilized. Both are fantastic venues that could host a variety of high culture activities, awards ceremonies being one of them. I don't think these civic spaces can be utilized enough, so any time I see a major event headed for them, I am happy.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The Civic Opera House and the Auditorium Theater seem perpetually under utilized. Both are fantastic venues that could host a variety of high culture activities, awards ceremonies being one of them. I don't think these civic spaces can be utilized enough, so any time I see a major event headed for them, I am happy.
Don't forget the Arie Crown. Even conventions that host presentations which need a huge theater and stage sometimes don't use it. I wonder if the pricing is that out of line with the rest of the McCormick Place?

Last edited by streetline; May 23, 2014 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 1:34 PM

Well..... guess it's time to say farewell to this season's Hawks. What an emotional last series, and at least they fought hard to the end, proving what a great team they still are. Regardless, my congrats to the Kings, and should make for an interesting cup final NY vs LA.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:23 PM

But while Los Angeles produced a pedestrian 4.8 rating, Chicago delivered a whopping 22.7 figure, which translates to more than 800,000 homes. That's a number even New York can't match. The Rangers, who punched a ticket to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1994 last week by beating the Canadiens, earned an 8.5 rating for their Game 6 clincher.

Clearly, the Blackhawks -- and their loyal fans -- will be missed.

Article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5689044.story

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:01 PM
BANNED

Pretty pie in the sky idea I think but why not.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-lake-michigan

Next stop for fun: A pool-equipped barge on Lake Michigan?

By Brigid Sweeney June 10, 2014

If a local entrepreneur has his way, Chicagoans will have an entirely new way to enjoy Lake Michigan and the city's warm-weather social scene next summer.

Beau D'Arcy wants to build a 300-by-100-foot floating vessel, nearly twice the length of the Odyssey yacht that operates cruises from Navy Pier, that would have a swimming pool, restaurants, bars, shops and a spa area — all slightly more than a mile out on Lake Michigan, due east of Erie Street and Lake Shore Drive. He says if all goes according to plan, the concept would be a reality by July 2015.

The $23 million project, called Breakwater Chicago, ...

Four min video in this link below

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...262519341.html

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i'm really hoping this happens. not only would it be cool to see, but this would also be really good exposure for chicago to a global audience, especially the jet-setting high spending tourist types. america's cup yacht racing might not elicit too much enthusiasm from the average joe 6-packs around the planet, but it is something that is noticed in more elite circles. imagine wealthy europeans and asians seeing chicago host the races with a sparkling lake michigan and our glorious lakefront parklands and mighty skyline as a backdrop. they might just say to themsleves "wow, chicago looks like it might be worth a visit the next time we travel to the states".

Quote:
America's Cup organizers have been eyeing Chicago since winter
By Melissa Harris and Blake Schuster
Tribune staff reporters
11:33 a.m. CDT, June 13, 2014

Chicago has been under consideration as a host for the 2017 America's Cup regatta, one of the world's premier sporting events, since the winter, said Don Wilson Jr., who is leading Chicago’s host committee.

“This winter, we were contacted by the America’s Cup people,” said Wilson, founder and CEO of DRW Trading Group, a lucrative electronic trading firm. “And they said, ‘Hey, we’re thinking about having one of the events leading up to the America’s Cup in Chicago.’ So we put together a plan. ...

“It was pretty funny. I think they were here in February. There were icebergs floating in the lake.”

At the end of a two-day tour — and to Wilson’s surprise — the America’s Cup group told Wilson, “This was awesome. We just talked to Russell (Coutts), and we told him we should have the Cup here.”

Coutts is director of the America’s Cup Event Authority, the company established by Larry Ellison, one of the world's wealthiest people with an estimated $51.5 billion fortune, to run the yacht race. Coutts also is the chief executive of Ellison’s Oracle Team USA. Ellison gets to decide the host city of and boat design for the 35th race in 2017. Unlike the Olympics, the more than 160-year-old race does not take place on a regular schedule.
source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3878620.story

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 1:49 PM

^^^ Nice! I would enjoy an America's cup here almost as much as an Olympics. Chicago supposedly has the most public harbor space out of any city in North America (or is it the world?) and this would be a great way to celebrate our large yachting and sailing community. Few cities have their own annual major sailing race like Chicago's Mackinac race so I am not surprised that they liked what they saw when they visited here.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
^^^ Nice! I would enjoy an America's cup here almost as much as an Olympics. Chicago supposedly has the most public harbor space out of any city in North America (or is it the world?) and this would be a great way to celebrate our large yachting and sailing community. Few cities have their own annual major sailing race like Chicago's Mackinac race so I am not surprised that they liked what they saw when they visited here.
Larry Ellison also grew up in South Shore, I believe.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:19 PM
BANNED

This is huge news for Chicago and fans.

I was at the very last Greatful Dead concert ever at Soldier Field.

This will bring out Dead Heads across the world for this.....

This is huge

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...cago_july.html

Jan. 16 2015 12:26 PM

The Surviving Members of the Grateful Dead to Play One Last Set of Shows This Summer

By David Haglund

Fifty years after the Grateful Dead first formed, and 20 years after Jerry Garcia died, the band’s original surviving members—Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzman, and Mickey Hart—will reunite for farewell shows in Chicago this July, Billboard reports. Those four will be joined by Bruce Hornsby, Jeff Chimenti of Weir’s band RatDog, and Trey Anastasio of Phish.

The “Fare Thee Well” concerts will take place July 3, 4, and 5, in Chicago, which is the last city the band played with Garcia. Lesh told Billboard that they were reconvening the band “one last time to celebrate—not merely the band’s legacy, but also the community that we’ve been playing to, and with, for 50 years.” But Billboard says only that it is “unlikely” that the band will play additional shows after the Chicago dates, and quotes Weir as saying, “I know we’ll all continue playing this music forever in our ways. I’ve got some miles left in me.”

The band has set up a website, dead50.net, with more information. Tickets will go on sale in February.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 6:51 PM
BANNED

http://www.eastlanddisaster.org/news...saster-Located

First Known Archived Film Footage of the Eastland Disaster Located

Saturday, February 07, 2015

Chicago, Illinois -- EDHS was taken by surprise this morning when a Facebook post to our page came through with incredible news: the discovery of filmed footage of the Eastland Disaster.

Since founding the Eastland Disaster Historical Society 17 years ago, we had always felt that video footage existed somewhere, but were never able to locate it. These two short video clips are the first that EDHS has seen, and likely, the first that the public has seen of the Eastland Disaster as well.

The clips come from EYE Film Instituut Nederland and were brought to light by EDHS Facebook follower Jeff Nichols.

The first clip below (55 seconds) shows first responders walking on the overturned hull of the Eastland, pulling survivors/victims out through a gangway, and several other rescue and recovery efforts.

The Eastland Disaster footage begins at the 1:10 minute mark (so please feel free to advance the video).

Laatste bioscoop wereldberichten

The second clip (30 seconds) depicts the efforts while righting the Eastland weeks after the day of the tragedy.

The righting of the Eastland footage begins at the 9:10 minute mark (so please feel free to advance the video).

Laatste bioscoop wereldberichten

These clips come just in time as we commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Eastland Disaster this coming July. The moving pictures humanize the Disaster, bringing to life Chicago's greatest loss-of-life tragedy for the world to see and experience.

Our sincerest gratitude to Jeff Nichols for changing how we see the Eastland Disaster.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 7:13 PM

You know what else is crazy? Finding Vivian Maier , a documentary about Chicago street photographer Vivian Maier and the discovery of her work, was nominated for an Oscar and stands a good chance of winning it. John Maloof, a local Chicagoan, was the first to publicize her work and is only in his early 30's. I saw the documentary the other night and it is indeed amazing. I love the hidden cultural treasures big cities like Chicago produce like this.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 7:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
You know what else is crazy? Finding Vivian Maier , a documentary about Chicago street photographer Vivian Maier and the discovery of her work, was nominated for an Oscar and stands a good chance of winning it. John Maloof, a local Chicagoan, was the first to publicize her work and is only in his early 30's. I saw the documentary the other night and it is indeed amazing. I love the hidden cultural treasures big cities like Chicago produce like this.
I know! I saw it a couple of months ago and think it's so great - not only was her photography amazing, but she what a great subject matter she herself makes because of her enigmatic nature (translation: she was slightly kooky).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest