HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:30 AM
TL;DR

The traffic is factored into the schedule. That's why the daytime run will be 30 minutes longer than the nighttime one.

I like the idea of an overnight trip. Amtrak chews up an entire day of my life. On the night bus, I'd just be sleeping the whole way. I've done that on the 6-hour Chicago-St Louis Megabus run.

Plus you can hop right on MARTA from the bus stop- unlike Amtrak which stops on some desolate stretch of Peachtree. On the other hand, the bus doesn't really offer much opportunity to stretch your legs along the way.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:41 PM

That's a good point, but the one to NYC always seemed to be hours late because of the terrible traffic going in to the city.

Good point about Marta connection didn't think of that.

Amtrak sells alcohol though! Plus its much more social. Anyway, the more options the better. It would be great if Amtrak started twice daily between NOLA and Atlanta as well as, of course, sped it up.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Chain restaurants, retailers are increasingly setting up shop on the north shore

In recent years, rapid growth along Louisiana 21 in Covington has brought the parish seat an assortment of national fast-food and sit-down restaurants as well as big-box retailers seldom seen on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain. Real estate developers and local officials agree that there is a proliferation of chain development on the north shore, but there are mixed views about why it's taking place.

Some believe retailers interested in breaking into the region are using the city as a testing ground, while others argue that companies are simply drawn to the north shore's abundance of available land and appealing demographics. Still others think it's a combination of the two.....
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ailers_ar.html

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:58 PM

Don't feel like debating the merits of north shore development...

most interesting take away from that article:

Panera Bread is coming to the Mid-City Market!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Don't feel like debating the merits of north shore development...

most interesting take away from that article:

Panera Bread is coming to the Mid-City Market!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that sentence in the article was poorly worded. Panera Bread isn't coming to the Mid-City Market, Five Guys Burgers and Fries is instead.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:13 AM
TL;DR

Dammit... guess I'll have to wait a little while longer for my Asiago Roast Beef sandwich w/horseradish.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:24 AM

According to the mcno, "This project has been so well-received that Panera Bread is making this its commissary store for the other Paneras in the metro area."

http://mcno.org/greenwaycrossing/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdw0p View Post
According to the mcno, "This project has been so well-received that Panera Bread is making this its commissary store for the other Paneras in the metro area."

http://mcno.org/greenwaycrossing/
Awesome news about Panera. That other article was poorly worded so I was confused too. So it seems Metairie and New Orleans and Covington will be up for locations!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:09 AM
TL;DR

They also mention Ruby Slipper. What's wrong with their existing joint behind Mandina's?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They also mention Ruby Slipper. What's wrong with their existing joint behind Mandina's?
Parking, at least that is what I hear from the neighbors. They love the place but it causes a parking nightmare for the residents in the area.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Also, it is very, very tiny! The wait during Sunday Brunch is tedious. IMO It maybe worth it, but it is sooo torturous.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
Also, it is very, very tiny! The wait during Sunday Brunch is tedious. IMO It maybe worth it, but it is sooo torturous.
Have you tried the one downtown? I think its a good move for Ruby Slipper though and for Mid City Market. Getting original concepts will appeal much more over the long run to the community. Sounds like this shopping center is coming together well so far.

Also heard In n Out Burger may be opening first location on Veterans next to Dorignacs where Foodies used to be!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:06 PM
TL;DR

Wow, In-and-Out next to Dorignac's will be a whole lot of 50s/60s kitsch.

I love the Ruby Slipper's neighborhood location and historic building. If you go for brunch, Mandina's is closed and you can easily find a spot on Canal.

In the long run we need to figure this whole parking thing out in order to make neighborhood establishments work. We can't just pile every successful business into some strip shopping center.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, In-and-Out next to Dorignac's will be a whole lot of 50s/60s kitsch.
Perfect for the enterance to Metairie, isn't it?

Quote:
In the long run we need to figure this whole parking thing out in order to make neighborhood establishments work. We can't just pile every successful business into some strip shopping center.
I recall reading somewhere, the Master Plan will require fewer units of parking per sq. foor of space than the current ordinances - which is perfectly fine with me. Just as I believe more roads create more traffic (because development is spread further and less dense), I believe more parking lots create the need for more parking (because the more spread out the city is, the more you likely you need to get into a car to go somewhere).

Instead of the side parking lot behind Massey's, crossing the Lafitte Corridor, I wish they put more parking on top of the Winn Dixie, like the Best Buy in Metairie has. That would be prime real-estate for Endymion. But then, I guess it's too late now.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 8:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

I recall reading somewhere, the Master Plan will require fewer units of parking per sq. foor of space than the current ordinances - which is perfectly fine with me. Just as I believe more roads create more traffic (because development is spread further and less dense), I believe more parking lots create the need for more parking (because the more spread out the city is, the more you likely you need to get into a car to go somewhere).

Instead of the side parking lot behind Massey's, crossing the Lafitte Corridor, I wish they put more parking on top of the Winn Dixie, like the Best Buy in Metairie has. That would be prime real-estate for Endymion. But then, I guess it's too late now.
Most businesses dont have an issue with less parking except things like groceries. Because most people still use cars to transport them. I agree that the roof should be used as should the roof on the future costco.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 8:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

I dont worry about this so much in New Orleans because its a waterlocked city. It cant really spread out much from where it is currently. Nature has given us development boundaries other cities try to voluntarily enact.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:51 PM
TL;DR

^^ The very existence of the North Shore proves that urban sprawl has overcome the natural boundaries of our city, and with a 30-mile dead zone separating the city from its exurbs, people drive a WHOLE lot.

I have no idea what would happen if $5 gas ever came to Louisiana. Way too many people cross the Causeway and Twin Spans on a regular basis.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:55 PM

Quote:
^^ The very existence of the North Shore proves that urban sprawl has overcome the natural boundaries of our city, and with a 30-mile dead zone separating the city from its exurbs, people drive a WHOLE lot.
Agreed. It wasn't the water that stopped sprawl, it was the oil-bust of the 80s. New Orleans East and the Labranche wetlands were sold to developers, lots in planned subdivisions were carved out, it just never came to fruition. Since then, most of that land has been declared protected. But if land was at a shortage because of water, then the huge undeveloped tracks of unprotected land within the levee systems in the East, south of Airline past the airport, and on the West Bank would be developed, and 30,000 properties in Orleans Parish wouldn't be blight.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Most businesses dont have an issue with less parking except things like groceries. Because most people still use cars to transport them. I agree that the roof should be used as should the roof on the future costco.
That's great, but the additional loads on the foundation could mean a world of difference in terms of construction cost. The city should encourage it, but it may not be realistic on many sites where the soil sucks.

Maybe we could set up a TIF district and use the proceeds to partially subsidize this kind of development?

In the long run we need to transition away from driving to stores. Groceries excepted, because weekly shopping trips are and will be the norm in New Orleans. We don't have the population density to drive more closely-spaced neighborhood grocers that would allow for daily grocery shopping.

The city is full of corner-store buildings with no stores in them. That needs to change - these places should be brought online with convenience stores, sandwich joints, coffee shops, bakeries, or professional offices at least, and zoning should make this legal and easy to do. Despite the renaissance that lots of people are sensing, we just don't have the property values to drive new construction, so we need to use every bit of existing building stock that we have.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 1:02 AM

Looks like Sean Cummings is planning a nice building on Elysian Fields in the Marigny. The neighbors are opposed to the height at 75 ft (the limit in the neighborhood is 50 ft). I'm not sure how I feel about this yet but either way a development at that spot would be pretty nice.

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...gWCQYCWjg.cspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations