HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

51 Astor Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 12:17 AM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
does this have a tenant yet?
I remember reading somewhere that one of the three commercial spaces at street level will have a bank (ugh). That's all I know on the matter!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:23 AM

©tectonic

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:42 AM

While this building is an improvement over what was on this site previously... It really does seem out of place in these photos. It looks like it belongs in a suburban office park, not in the middle of the city. I'll have to check it out in person.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 3:04 AM

I really suggest you go see it in person. I think this is an amazing building! The contrast between black and clear glass is almost masterfull, just look at that picture. This building belongs in NYC, not in some suburb.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 3:13 AM

As a modern office building, it's just fine for the area. It's not overwhelming, it holds it's place.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
I really suggest you go see it in person. I think this is an amazing building! The contrast between black and clear glass is almost masterfull, just look at that picture. This building belongs in NYC, not in some suburb.
Yeah, sometimes photos can be misleading. I live in the City just haven't found time to walk over to that neighborhood and check it out myself.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2013/0...1-astor-place/

Waiting on a Dream: Betting on ‘Spec’ at 51 Astor Place

By Al Barbarino 4/10/13

Quote:
...As the grand opening of the 13-story, 430,000-square-foot building approaches, Mr. Minskoff and those at the helm of the project anticipate a similar trajectory at 51 Astor. The property towers above the rest of the neighborhood, where a 24-hour McDonald’s, a Ray’s Pizza and an array of small shops and restaurants harbor strong foot traffic that is accentuated by the perpetual buzz of college students.

The project comes in an era characterized by a construction lull, offering an anchor tenant the visibility that even a Midtown skyscraper would not, with access to an army of students from neighboring New York University and the Cooper Union (from which Mr. Minskoff purchased the land under 51 Astor).

The LEED Gold-rated building features ceiling heights between 14 and 18 feet, an outdoor plaza off Astor Place and a 15,000-square-foot rooftop terrace on the fifth floor. Three storefronts wrap around the ground floor, and a school will occupy a second-floor space. What’s more, the black-and-white granite lobby will be anchored by a “14-foot candy apple red balloon rabbit” sculpture by Jeff Koons.

“It’s probably going to be one of the most iconic sculptures that Jeff Koons has ever done in his career,” said Mr. Minskoff, who is known outside of the real estate industry for his impressive art collection.

VIEW LARGE here

Rendering

Reality

Simply beautiful.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 12:47 PM

Maki certainly knows about glass! Very nice-----

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:33 PM

I didn't think I'd like this building. It looks good.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 6:12 PM
Walk taker

Everyone should be aware that the pedestrian plaza is coming along very well - it's being paved with grey stone 'cobbles' and larger grey slates. The benches look to be black granite, and they're each cut to unique dimensions and shapes. A row of trees has been planted behind the benches, and modern looking light poles, similar to the ones at 1WTC, have been put up between them. It looks a little cluttered right now, but I have faith it'll come out looking great!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:43 AM

Such a dramatic improvement for Astor Place. I love it! The reality exceeds the renderings.

Certainly belongs in New York and is one of the better buildings that have gone up in the past few years.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 5:09 AM

Is it me or the render looks EXACTLY like the real building?! I totally confused the two. This is the closest i've seen a render resemble the actual building. Congrats to Maki and whoever did that render!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Such a dramatic improvement for Astor Place. I love it! Certainly belongs in New York and is one of the better buildings that have gone up in the past few years.
Yeah, some may feel its out of place, but it really isn't. I walked by yesterday, and it feels like a focal point for the area. Only in this part of Manhattan can a building of this size feel that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
Is it me or the render looks EXACTLY like the real building?! I totally confused the two. This is the closest i've seen a render resemble the actual building. Congrats to Maki and whoever did that render!
It is stunning how close the render came to reality (or vice versa).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Dated 3/1/2011

As with every building with a reasonably simple shape, it is all about the materials. If they use top notch glass and stone, it will be gorgeous. The good news is, Maki doesn't seem like an architect who would be down with pre-cast concrete and plexiglass.

Right as always pico. My only regret is that the lowrise portion and plaza aren't on the Astor Square side of the building. It's too bad the highrise wedge has to cover up the masonry gem on Layfayette rather than all the ugliness on 3rd Avenue

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 10:52 PM
Walk taker

Hi everyone! A lot has been happening to this building recently, so I'll write up a thorough update:

Interior work continues, slowly. Drywall surrounding the 'core' has been installed, as well as other preliminaries like plumbing, exit signs, and rigging for drop ceilings. All interior columns have yet to be encased. I assume that this slow pacing is due to a lack of prospective tenants - I hope I'm wrong, though.

The plaza facing 3rd ave. is very near completion. Grey paving stones have been laid in nearly the full area of the park - most are square, perhaps 4x4 inches. Larger stones, maybe 3 feet long each, form a rectangular 'entrance' leading into the main revolving doors. The coloration is a mix of grey and white stripes. In addition to these simple elements, there are two 'dotted lines' of stones cutting through the pavement at odd angles.

The benches are being clad in wooden units, complete with backrests. Beneath the bottom lips of the benches, warm LED's have been installed, which make them appear to hover at night. The trees planted a few months ago are in full leaf and are in an alternating pattern with the plazas lighting fixtures, 8-9 foot grey cylinders with glassy tops. They exude a bright but warm light.

Work has started on the buildings 5th floor green space. White paving tiles have been lifted onto the podium and waist-high sheer glass barriers have started to be installed.

Here are some pictures:

The box sheds covering the sidewalks have been completely taken down, so now is a good time to go and admire the bases glass - the panes are enormous, crisp and incredibly clear.

The buildings glass has finally started to be washed, though not yet completely. The reflections are stunning from any angle. Here are a few examples:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive