HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:28 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I'm not usually concerned when Edmonton is left out of lists, but its lack of inclusion in this particular set of data maps is actually baffling.

Biggest surprise is that Calgary's lowest income areas are so concentrated in the NE.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:18 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
I'm not usually concerned when Edmonton is left out of lists, but its lack of inclusion in this particular set of data maps is actually baffling.

Biggest surprise is that Calgary's lowest income areas are so concentrated in the NE.
It's not a surprise to anyone from Calgary. Next time you visit take a drive in the NE. You'll understand immediately. The more ramshackle parts of Temple, Applewood etc. are the closest thing to a ghetto besides Forest Lawn in this city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
It's not a surprise to anyone from Calgary. Next time you visit take a drive in the NE. You'll understand immediately. The more ramshackle parts of Temple, Applewood etc. are the closest thing to a ghetto besides Forest Lawn in this city.
Something something east of Deerfoot north of Glenmore

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:11 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Something something east of Deerfoot north of Glenmore
Yeah I figured someone would point out Ogden in the SE. Basically everything on the east side north of that.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:26 AM

Quote:
I have this impression of sketchy places in Calgary being somewhere where a person wouldn't smile back at you if you made eye contact.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrij View Post
I have this impression of sketchy places in Calgary being somewhere where a person wouldn't smile back at you if you made eye contact.

We may not be Edmonton level but there are sketchier parts of the city. Nothing like the States though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:57 AM

Quote:
I don't know Calgary at all, aside from bits of downtown and the airport area. My cousin lives there. I should give you her address and have you evaluate it. She used to live in Sarnia.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:42 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
I've been through the NE side a few times, but mostly the commercial / industrial parts and never found them to be "representative" of lower-income areas, but I've never been in the residential areas there, maybe that's where it's more noticeable.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:55 PM

Is there a similar set of maps for a standard income across all metros? I'd be more interested to see how they compare apples-to-apples, rather than as a relative within the respective metro...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Is there a similar set of maps for a standard income across all metros? I'd be more interested to see how they compare apples-to-apples, rather than as a relative within the respective metro...
True, but then the purchasing power parity of $50,000 in Winnipeg and Halifax is completely different from the PPP in Toronto or Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:57 PM
Round Head

It's important to remember these are maps of relative income within the CMA against its average. Calgary's average is almost $20,000 more than than many of the others, so the relatively poor here may be more average in the Canadian average.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
It's important to remember these are maps of relative income within the CMA against its average. Calgary's average is almost $20,000 more than than many of the others, so the relatively poor here may be more average in the Canadian average.
Agreed, it is quite misleading. For example.

Very low in Montreal is ~$13,600 to ~$25,000.

Very low in Calgary is ~$29,600 to ~$38,000.

Middle income in Montreal is ~$33,300 to ~$50,000.

Middle income in Calgary is ~$50,000 to ~75,000.

Another point in regards to Richmond, (and Surrey for that matter) is for individual income they would do poorly, but for household income they would likely fair better, as the demographics that live in those places typically live in larger households.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
Another point in regards to Richmond, (and Surrey for that matter) is for individual income they would do poorly, but for household income they would likely fair better, as the demographics that live in those places typically live in larger households.
As mentioned, you have to understand the dynamics of the area. Some areas have low incomes, but those incomes stats do not take into consideration families where the main earner is working in another country and sends money to Canada.

You see this in Scarborough, where some areas have this going on. So areas with $600,000 houses have poverty level incomes. But it is because many are working in Asia and send money to Toronto for the family members living here.

I am very cautious with these numbers and other studies like this, because they tend to paint whole areas as poverty stricken, when they are not. My own area is listed as "low income", despite the fact that the average family income is over $100,000 in my area.

Last edited by miketoronto; Dec 9, 2015 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 12:29 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
As mentioned, you have to understand the dynamics of the area. Some areas have low incomes. But those incomes stats do not take into consideration families where the main earner is working in another country and sends money to Canada.

You see this in Scarborough, where some areas have this going on. So areas with $600,000 houses have poverty level incomes. But it is because many are working in Asia and send money to Toronto for the family members living here.
That's a very interesting point. The reality of what's going on in this great experiment of a city is pretty interesting, but not many people are paying attention. I think a lot of policy makers and commentators are oblivious to what's actually happening anywhere that's more than a mile or two away from Yonge or Bloor-Danforth.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I've been through the NE side a few times, but mostly the commercial / industrial parts and never found them to be "representative" of lower-income areas, but I've never been in the residential areas there, maybe that's where it's more noticeable.
The business areas are like any other. It's the residential side you see it on.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:31 PM
BANNED

The Toronto one is kinda funny. I pretty much stick to middle income areas. Avoid the upper and lower area's like the plague. West of Bathurst to Dufferin is pretty much the only part of Toronto I go in.

It's amazing how in real life these income differences are just as obvious in person as they are on that map.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:51 AM

Some of these areas can change quickly. The district I live in in Toronto showed as dark red on this map, but four years later I doubt it's the same. There's quite a few new luxury towers here, and more under construction. Wouldn't be surprised to see this area as white today.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Some of these areas can change quickly. The district I live in in Toronto showed as dark red on this map, but four years later I doubt it's the same. There's quite a few new luxury towers here, and more under construction. Wouldn't be surprised to see this area as white today.
If you're referring to the red census tract along Bay Street, I think the data for it is problematic - there's a lot of people filing taxes for addresses in that census tract that don't live there or something. Could be due to the fact that City Hall is in that census tract.

If you're referring to the Regent Park census tract, then yeah, incomes should go up there.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:44 AM
Community Guy

Quote:

Yeah, what gives?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
See Wpg/Hamilton for reference.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada