HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 5:38 PM

the last word was that they were retooling the layout after the student demonstration. JET

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 5:56 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
the last word was that they were retooling the layout after the student demonstration. JET
I havn't heard of that. What happened?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 8:12 PM

They bitched that part of that crappy forest behind Dartmouth High, part of the commons, was going to be used for the terminal. So I guess that's one less place to hide and smoke, while tossing garbage everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
They bitched that part of that crappy forest behind Dartmouth High, part of the commons, was going to be used for the terminal. So I guess that's one less place to hide and smoke, while tossing garbage everywhere.
I think provides a very negative reflection on what the students said and intended. Read the article and ignore the author's name. What the students had to say is quite valid and well spoken. Sure people do lots of things in those woods that's less than admirable, but the students who protested just wanted the location reconsidered, while maintaing some of the greenspace. Having a large number of idling buses right next to a school is not good for anyone. Having the bus terminal not so close to the school, and maybe clearing out some of the woods so that it's more parklike, would gratly improve that area.
also, remeber that these are kids that go to a school that has been ignored and deteriorated significantly around them, while other schools have been renovated or built. JET

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/...ilderness-park

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:57 PM

Hopefully this will prompt them to design something better. I wasn't a fan of the original plan. Too strung out.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:44 AM
we built this city

Well its great to see we can all agree to disagree on everything in this city...

I'm beginning to believe that democracy is seriously flawed when people can't support something as utilitarian as public transportation infrastructure...

This whole thing conjures up memories of the evil Bayer's Rd widening... the result was a street where buses, people and cars all move much easier.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
This whole thing conjures up memories of the evil Bayer's Rd widening... the result was a street where buses, people and cars all move much easier.
I think you mean Chebucto Road. Bayers Road needs to be widened too but it has not progressed, since, in Halifax, all widening projects are labeled as evil and therefore cannot be supported by the usual suspects.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think you mean Chebucto Road. Bayers Road needs to be widened too but it has not progressed, since, in Halifax, all widening projects are labeled as evil and therefore cannot be supported by the usual suspects.
Sounds a lot like St. John's to me...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You're right, I meant Chebucto.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 12:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Calling that clump of trees a "wilderness area" is a bit of a stretch. We're not talking about Jasper here..

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 2:08 AM
we built this city

LOL.

I looked at it with both google earths/maps and microsoft bing maps 3-d/maps and its pretty sketchy.

Walking around it with google, I think with the addition of the station and trimming back of some of the "urban wilderness park" would make the urban fabric significantly more coherent and less "sketchy".

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:20 PM

Frustration boils over loss of green space
Residents angry Dartmouth Common land will be used for new bus terminal
Halifax News Net
By Joanie Veitch – The Weekly News

The draft plans look good overall, but building a new bus terminal should not trump preserving Common land.
That was the message residents continued to hammer at the team working on the Dartmouth Common Master Plan at last week’s public meeting.
For nearly two hours of the three-hour meeting, hosted by HRM planning staff and CBCL consultants, people voiced similar concerns about the bus terminal expansion.
“The Dartmouth Common is the Dartmouth Common and it should not be used as a bus terminal. The whole thing should be revisited,” said Trevor Parsons, a local realtor and longtime resident of Dartmouth.
At issue is Metro Transit’s plan to expand the bridge terminal into the urban wilderness area above the Dartmouth Sportsplex parking lot. The original expansion plan ran the terminal approximately three acres up Nantucket Avenue. In addition to criticism at the loss of more green space, that plan drew criticism when first announced this past spring as it could pose security concerns for the nearby Dartmouth High School.
That configuration is still on the table in two of the four options for the Common presented at last week’s meeting. The other two options rotate the terminal to run between Nantucket and Thistle Street, along the top of the Sportsplex parking lot.
The province amended the Municipal Government Act last fall, thereby allowing the new bus terminal to use up to six acres of Dartmouth Common land. Although many people remarked that the decision to allow Metro Transit to expand onto that parcel of land was done with insufficient public input, that decision means the bus terminal will go on Dartmouth Common land and some or all of the existing urban wilderness area must be used to accommodate it, said Gordon Smith, one of the CBCL consultants hired by the city to work on the project.
“I feel as bad as you do, but that train has left the station,” he said.
“This urban woodland space once it’s gone, it will never be back as open space,” lamented resident Tom Gribbin during his turn at the mike. “I feel so sad that it is just seen as a blight to get rid of.”
One resident, however, took a different tact than most. Noting the amount of development that has already occurred on Common land, Colin May suggested the city buy the Brightwood Golf & Country Club land and call it the new Dartmouth Common.
“There’s next to nothing left,” May said. “It’s all been given away over the last 150 years to the point where we’re now fighting over a little piece of scrub land.”
Echoing that sentiment to some extent was Jean Llewellyn, who suggested that Dartmouth residents should demand “definite things” in return for giving up part of the Dartmouth Common for the new bus terminal.
“This is a huge thing we are giving up so it requires great remuneration,” she said.
The comments expressed were consistent with what the consultation team has heard since the first public meeting in April, said HRM’s Holly Richardson, in an interview following the meeting.
“This community knows what it wants and doesn’t want. We have had excellent feedback all through this process,” she said.
The proposed plans presented by CBCL aim to redefine the Dartmouth Common as a landmark destination in HRM, with clear entrance points, trails, a new pro-size soccer and football field, an outdoor skating rink, amphitheatre and historical interpretation, highlighting sites such as the First Nations burial site in St. Peter’s Cemetery and the old Park School site.
The final report on the plan is expected by the end of the year.

joanie.veitch@gmail.com

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 8:54 PM
You talkin' to me?

I dont get it. The land their building this terminal on is completely useless right now. Its just a row of trees, its not like its a real part of the commons or anything. Atleast its actually going through. the current setup at the sportsplex is terrible, and I use it everyday.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 9:21 PM

I have to admit I much prefer having the terminal run between Nantucket and Thistle. For one important thing, it's a lot more level.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:32 PM

As well as being a bit more sheltered, by the building, from the wind.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 6:40 PM
You talkin' to me?

I was at the sportsplex bus terminal today and saw an excavator on site along with a dump truck. Im hoping this may be the beginning of this. I'll post more info if it looks as if things are moving along.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I was at the sportsplex bus terminal today and saw an excavator on site along with a dump truck. Im hoping this may be the beginning of this. I'll post more info if it looks as if things are moving along.
This is on the Transit website:
"Terminal design and construction is scheduled to begin in the spring/summer 2010, with construction to continue over the summer/fall 2010, with the full completion of the new Terminal anticipated for late fall 2010."

Maybe they are starting sooner? JET

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 10:09 PM

Were they actually working, or just parked there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I have to admit I much prefer having the terminal run between Nantucket and Thistle. For one important thing, it's a lot more level.
Dartmouth Common Master Plan

http://www.halifax.ca/RealPropertyPl...CMP/index.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure