HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Those are interesting numbers. Possibly the Dartmouth Terminal will have more passengers (ignoring the visitors) passing through per year (isn't it 17,000 per day?).
I think its 23,000/day or more during the weekdays.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 1:42 PM

Delayed again.

http://www.halifax.ca/mediaroom/pres...yextended.html

Quote:
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 (Halifax, NS) - The new Metro Transit Bridge Terminal opening will be moved to Monday, October 1 due to ongoing construction delays.

A decision was made by HRM staff today that the terminal cannot be ready and commissioned in time for the planned opening date of September 17.

“A second delay is regrettable and we apologize for any inconvenience to Metro Transit customers who have been patiently waiting for this improved facility,” said Metro Transit Director Eddie Robar. “We know this terminal will be worth the wait.”

This delay is required to complete the accessible pedestrian bridge which enables upper level access to the terminal, to complete outstanding interior building details, to ensure all permits are in place, and to allow time for the terminal to be properly commissioned.

“Accessibility is one of the features we are most proud of in this new terminal and we want to ensure all Metro Transit passengers are able to fully use the terminal on opening day,” said Terry Gallagher, HRM’s Manager of Facility Development.

The Bridge Terminal is Metro Transit’s busiest terminal, serving over 23,000 passengers each weekday. Once complete, the new terminal will feature 16 bus bays, public washrooms, enhanced safety and security features, and a climate controlled passenger waiting area with customer information displays. Originally, the terminal was to open on Monday, August 27.

The total cost to build the new terminal is $14.7 million, including the original construction tender award to Pomerleau and other expenditures on consultant fees, interior fixtures, furniture and equipment, exterior seating and shelters, landscaping, mobility features, construction allowances, and CCTV security technology.

GoTime will continue to report scheduled time only until the new Bridge Terminal opens, as the GPS coordinates for the terminal were pre-loaded for August 27.

Please note: HRM Corporate Communications is finalizing arrangements for a site visit for media and will send a further advisory once date and time are confirmed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 10:02 PM

Let's hope they haven't botched the design as badly as they have botched the construction management.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Let's hope they haven't botched the design as badly as they have botched the construction management.
I take that as a given in Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 2:55 AM

Why not just open it New Year's Day, with fireworks off the roof?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:30 AM

The Coast has some pictures from the media tour of the construction site a few days ago, both interior and exterior. For the most part, I like what I see, but I'm not so sure that a six-foot-tall fence around the top is going to look that great...

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/...ridge-terminal

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
The Coast has some pictures from the media tour of the construction site a few days ago, both interior and exterior. For the most part, I like what I see, but I'm not so sure that a six-foot-tall fence around the top is going to look that great...

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/...ridge-terminal
Here's hoping they do something like a glass wall so there is a bit of a view yet still meets code, but i predict an industrial jail cell effect complete with steel bars

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:14 AM

Holy shit, attempting to read ANY Tim Bousquet article makes me wanna buy a bullet and rent a gun lol.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:19 AM

And his dumb little survey at the end of that article makes me wanna shoot myself even more I hate that guy and I don't even know him !

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:42 AM

I have a feeling that it wont take long for the new terminal to get destroyed by vandalism.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I have a feeling that it wont take long for the new terminal to get destroyed by vandalism.
Or gunplay...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:11 PM

On a positive note, just because someone should have something positive to say; they are installing traffic lights at the bottom of Thistle St, that should help with traffic flow. Hopefully they will remove the pedestrian crosswalk between the sportsplex and the holiday inn , that slows traffic down quite a bit.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:36 PM

^It should be an elevated walkway same with the one near the NSLC (Faulkner Street).

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, I think this terminal looks a lot nicer than some of the older bare-bones terminals. I used to stop at the Mumford terminal and it really didn't have a lot of amenities, nor was it laid out well.

I hope eventually the city will build a decent intermodal terminal downtown, with some underground space for the buses, places to wait indoors, and indoor connections to the ferry terminal. It could be like a mini version of the Seattle underground busway, or a more modest version of some of its stations.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...ally-tunneled/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Well, I think this terminal looks a lot nicer than some of the older bare-bones terminals. I used to stop at the Mumford terminal and it really didn't have a lot of amenities, nor was it laid out well.

I hope eventually the city will build a decent intermodal terminal downtown, with some underground space for the buses, places to wait indoors, and indoor connections to the ferry terminal. It could be like a mini version of the Seattle underground busway, or a more modest version of some of its stations.

That would be amazing!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:21 PM

Just a quick one I grabbed since I haven't seen this angle yet. Taken a couple weeks ago by myself.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:40 PM

The only issue I would have with an underground bus/transit tunnel in downtown would be what are the entry and exit points?

The logical tunnel would be down Spring Garden and then bending onto Barrington - that is the corridor of bus traffic (for the most part), but then what about the buses going to the ferry terminal? Would those be at grade and then a connection from the tunnel up?

Logistically its doable, financially expensive but I agree it's a good idea. My only concern would be for the future when the train system (if built) got very busy. Because then you'd have the train competing with buses, which could get a bit busy in there. Specially if you were to do something like what Calgary does and have two lines feeding off of the downtown core along the same track.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 6:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was thinking of it as more of an underground terminal than a busway that would go underneath Barrington and Spring Garden Road. I guess the tunnel would be possible but very expensive. The terminal would be part of a redevelopment of Cogswell and could be a part of a big mixed-use project with office and residential towers.

In Seattle they have I-5 running just east of the downtown core plus a waterfront highway similar to what was proposed for Halifax in the 70's and some underused industrial land. It was easier for them to find a place that makes sense for a tunnel. In Halifax a fast corridor through the downtown area would be more valuable if there were, say, the third harbour bridge plus some major street through the South End and a bridge over the Northwest Arm. A quick tunnel dumping buses out on Spring Garden Road would not be that useful.

In Halifax I think it makes a lot of sense to have two tiers of system. In the downtown (and local routes serving the Peninsula) the emphasis would be on having pleasant service and high frequencies, but not high speeds. The suburban parts of the city would have express type service. A large downtown terminal at Cogswell would be a natural place to switch between the suburban service and the downtown shuttles/streetcar or ferry.

Last edited by someone123; Sep 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Oh thats nice!! Love the layout!!

From what I see, the Dartmouth terminal will be quite open with only a small area under conver? Why not have all the buses under cover? Its not like we get bad weather or anything here

Cost.. I know

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 3:25 PM
Honored Member

This was posted on the halifax.ca website - http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/B...Expansion.html. There are some recent pictures also.

This is occurring right now. Will anyone be there to take pictures?

Quote:
Metro Transit invites you to get a sneak peek of the new Metro Transit Bridge Terminal before the buses get moving!

Where: The New Metro Transit Bridge Terminal
24 Nantucket Avenue, Dartmouth

When: Sunday, September 30, 2012

Time: 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Walk around the bus bays and get familiar with your bus stop location, while enjoying complimentary refreshments, served by Dartmouth High School students.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure