HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:31 AM
Reason and Freedom

Lost Buildings of Vancouver

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 1, 2015 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:01 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Sources are necessary.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:54 AM

The Birks Building

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/van...250/story.html

This one is a real tragedy. Edwardian façade. Curved glass.
It could have been included in a project such as "The Exchange," but all we have to show for it now is London Drugs.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:40 PM
Reason and Freedom

Another shot of the Pantages Theatre (right) on Hastings Street around 1925. You can also catch a glimpse of the once great Rex Theatre (left) directly opposite of the Pantages. The Rex Theatre technically still exists. All of the features of the façade were tragically destroyed, however, and what is left of the building is currently boarded-up with blue panels:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/453798...n/photostream/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:04 AM

Some of these losses are insane. Let's hope the next decades present a more careful approach to preserving historic buildings.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:23 AM

This is beyond depressing

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:53 PM

It looks like we could be adding another building to the list:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/war...204/story.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
It looks like we could be adding another building to the list:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/war...204/story.html
Oh no! Not St. Paul's Hospital! Surely there must be a way of seismic retrofitting.
Thinking of that space all full of condo buildings, green glass or not, makes me want to chuck.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:53 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I know it's wrong, but I take try to take an 'ignorance is bliss' approach when I see a thread like this pop up. Why? Well, when I do click it, and look at what we've (or any North American city that was ravaged by the 1950s-1970s) lost, I just get supremely depressed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:27 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't think that St. Paul's should relocate.
But if it does, they had better keep the heritage buildings, demolish the horrible ones.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 10:36 AM

St Pauls is the best hospital in Vancouver and it's the only one I trust enough to go to when I need to.

If they tear it down I'll be extremely upset.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I don't think that St. Paul's should relocate.
But if it does, they had better keep the heritage buildings, demolish the horrible ones.
Yes! And if it does relocate, and leaves the empty red brick building complex, why not turn that into a cultural facility, like a conservatory of music or such.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 3:21 PM

This thread: what an absolutely depressing juxtaposition of photos...

Re: St. Paul's, I thought while the idea was to move St. Paul's Hospital, they were still going to leave a small community hospital there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
St Pauls is the best hospital in Vancouver and it's the only one I trust enough to go to when I need to.

If they tear it down I'll be extremely upset.
Uhhh.. based on what?

Quality of staff should be your first concern. Friends and family have been helped by St. Paul's, but nothing to do with the building itself.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:51 AM

Maybe I'm strange but I just don't see the fascination with keeping a building standing just because it is old. Old doesn't to me equal heritage. I dunno maybe I just put more stock into what living human beings do historically than the buildings they do it in.

What was more important. Sir Isaac Newton or the building he completed Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica in?

Do we hold onto old buildings because they survive longer than any human being? So for example there are no Egyptians from 4600 years ago living today yet the Pyramids still stand so we pay homage to these, basically, piles of rock?

I guess I'm asking why some people get "extremely upset" over heritage building preservation and why should a building like "The Burrard Building" (St. Paul's Hospital) be preserved ad infinitum? To me it is a hospital that serves the third most densely populated downtown core in North America. I'd just as soon see it torn down in phases to be rebuilt in phases as a top of the line modern hospital that can survive more than a 5.0 earthquake. Designating an old building from 1912 a heritage site doesn't save lives. And for the record my late grandmother was very well served at St. Paul's in her later years and eventually died in its cardiac unit well into her 80s. I respect the people working in the hospital, but it is just a building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Maybe I'm strange but I just don't see the fascination with keeping a building standing just because it is old. Old doesn't to me equal heritage. I dunno maybe I just put more stock into what living human beings do historically than the buildings they do it in.

What was more important. Sir Isaac Newton or the building he completed Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica in?

Do we hold onto old buildings because they survive longer than any human being? So for example there are no Egyptians from 4600 years ago living today yet the Pyramids still stand so we pay homage to these, basically, piles of rock?

I guess I'm asking why some people get "extremely upset" over heritage building preservation and why should a building like "The Burrard Building" (St. Paul's Hospital) be preserved ad infinitum? To me it is a hospital that serves the third most densely populated downtown core in North America. I'd just as soon see it torn down in phases to be rebuilt in phases as a top of the line modern hospital that can survive more than a 5.0 earthquake. Designating an old building from 1912 a heritage site doesn't save lives. And for the record my late grandmother was very well served at St. Paul's in her later years and eventually died in its cardiac unit well into her 80s. I respect the people working in the hospital, but it is just a building.
Globally, I understand and respect your take on this.
And yes, a more modern, more earthquake resistant building would probably be more desirable.
But this is Vancouver, and by that I mean there aren't many older building around.
I would, as I mentioned, like to see the hospital itself relocated, but keep the building, seismically retrofit, and turned into a a cultural institute of some sort.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 8:35 AM

For me the biggest loss will always Vancouver's sign culture. I love the old streets lit up with countless interesting and creative neon signs.

Vancouver had such a unique image back then.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Uhhh.. based on what?

Quality of staff should be your first concern. Friends and family have been helped by St. Paul's, but nothing to do with the building itself.
Location, quality of care, speed of care, and overall experience.

Every other hospital I have been to in Metro Vancouver has been a nightmare except for st. Pauls.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:52 PM
Reason and Freedom

What the corner of Granville & Georgia used to feel like (looking southeast):

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:06 PM

^ Story about it.

The Demolition of the Birks Building

http://vancouver.skyrisecities.com/n...birks-building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues