HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:35 AM

I've heard people say that it's New Seasons, but have yet to see it announced by the company or reported in the press.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I'm currently listening to the DR hearing from yesterday. Three people spoke in favor, including John Russell and Don Stastny. There were a lot of people speaking against, mostly from the adjacent Harrison and American Plaza towers. Given the passion of those against the project, I'd be surprised if this didn't wind up at City Council.
It seems like every project is facing this.

The PTP group and even condo owners at the Benson are throwing a fit over the office/hotel proposal next to the Ladd.

Groups like this will always slow or stop development.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:17 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
It seems like every project is facing this.

The PTP group and even condo owners at the Benson are throwing a fit over the office/hotel proposal next to the Ladd.

Groups like this will always slow or stop development.
If a project complies with the zoning for the site, (i.e. height, FAR, uses), then neighbors should have no say on that aspect of the proposal. You can't legitimately claim a building is too high for a specific site if the zoning specifically allows that height. Any group that tries to block a project for that reason should be summarily rejected. It's a waste of time and money to entertain frivolous nonsense like that when the Code is very explicit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:01 PM

Here are the final approved images. This gets the maccoinnich "Most Improved Building" award:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:04 PM

I like this one a lot. I can't wait to see it start going up. Hopefully it doesn't get tied up by special interest groups for too long.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 5:32 AM

Having lived in that area, I cant see this as anything but an improvement.

People will stand in the way of the most useless stuff...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
15-story tower near PSU approved amid zoning debate

A plan to build a 15-story tower near Portland State University with 424 apartments and a ground-floor supermarket won the Portland Design Commission's approval last week, despite neighbors' contention the project may not comply with zoning code.

The commission voted 3-0 to approve the project, by Chicago developer Core Spaces. The property at the northeast corner of Southwest Fourth Avenue and Harrison Street is owned by Portland's Goodman family and is currently a parking lot.

The building has been in the pipeline since 2014, and it took six meetings between the city and developers along with large-scale changes to the design before commissioners were satisfied. Last week's hearing lasted nearly three hours.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:16 PM

Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission:

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/index....46575&a=567678

Countdown to an appeal (by both sides?) starts... now.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission:

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/index....46575&a=567678

Countdown to an appeal (by both sides?) starts... now.

I may have missed something, but who is appealing what? I know the neighbors are "concerned about the scale (or some bull)" about it, but who would the other appealing party be and what may they appeal?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:13 PM

There's discussion about it on the previous page.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Actually, I'll add to that: the applicants really didn't like one of the conditions of approval related to active use, and even brought a lawyer to the hearing. Even though the building was approved I could see this being appealed to Council by the applicants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
What was it about the active use that wasn't liked?
Quote:
Oh, I knew someone would ask that. This is one of the conditions in the staff report [PDF]:

Basically the city is trying to ensure that the glassy and transparent lower floors shown in the renderings actually look like that. The developers says that they don't have any intention of doing anything otherwise, but that it's too much of an encumbrance given that the Land Use Review needs to be recorded against the title of the property and that banks may be unwilling to finance the project if it has such a heavy restriction. The lawyer argued that the Design Commission doesn't have the power to regulate interior uses.

On a different but related note: the grocery tenant wanted to have wood cladding at the entry. (Design Commission made them change it to metal, out of concern that it wasn't coherent with the rest of the design). Can anyone think of a grocery chain whose brand standards include the use of wood at the entry...?

Derp. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:40 AM

Funny, this is located just a block away...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 8:02 PM

Well, much to my surprise this wasn't appealed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 1:04 AM

Very nice design. Exterior looks classy.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:43 AM
BANNED

I would love to see when this building breaks ground

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 7:31 AM

New & Neville have put up a leasing page for the retail, including the grocery space. I guess rumours of New Seasons going in were not true (or were at least premature).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 6:55 AM

"The Collective"
First thought, Borg. Second thought, Lenin.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:28 PM

I think the developer is being overly optimistic about how long City of Portland plan review takes...

Quote:
Downtown's next apartments — all 417 of them — to break ground in October (Renderings)

The parking lot at the corner of Southwest Harrison Street and Southwest Fourth Avenue won't be a parking lot for much longer.

Chicago-based developer Core Spaces is on the verge of breaking ground for its Collective on 4th project, a 417-unit apartment building ideally anchored by a grocery tenant. The developer is filing for its construction permits this month.

First announced a little over a year ago, the project should break ground in October and wrap up in fall 2018.

“We’re excited start work on Portland’s next great apartment project,” said Chad Matesi, executive vice president of development at Core Spaces, in a release. “The Collective on 4th will make the perfect urban home for PSU students, young professionals, families and empty-nesters.”
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Damn I forgot this building. This has been getting reviewed it feels like forever

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 7:22 PM

Shoring and excavation permit is in for review. I don't think they'll be breaking ground in October.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland